Thursday, July 15, 2010

Separating The Good From The Bad

Seems like we are discussing health related matters this week. It just seems like this week when I look for interesting things to share on the blog the most interesting stuff is health related. One article about doctors, one article about nurses with both scaring the hell out of me. First up are doctors:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100713/ap_on_he_me/us_med_reporting_bad_doctors

While this article does scare me it doesn’t really surprise me. I actually think this is true of all professions. I can’t see attorneys finking out other attorneys, or accountants finking out other accountants but neither of those professions usually have clients facing life threatening issues. In this case a doctor not turning in another doctor could cost a patient his or her life. Two questions for you on this subject. Are you surprised by the article? Does it scare you?

The next article isn’t much better. Nurses keep working despite drug convictions and in some cases despite losing their licenses in other states due to poor patient care.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-07-15-1Anurses15_CV_N.htm

Certainly there has to be a better way, like a national registry? It just seems right now a lot states are getting lazy before granting nurses the right to practice in their states. What is your take on the article?

Hope you have a great day!

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was the author of "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" Maya Angelou born Marguerite Ann Johnson.

I am a high flying physician born in 1956 as the youngest child of a maintenance supervisor and an elementary school teacher. It was at three when I started to assume I would be spaced out. Early on I pursued a career in science. When my kindergarten teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up I told her a scientist and she responded "don't you mean a teacher or nurse?" Despite my love of science I also loved the arts and began dancing at nine, taking ballet and jazz among other types of dance. When in high school I changed from wanting to be a scientist to wanting be a professional dancer. My last year in college I had to decide whether to attend medical school or become a professional dance. "You can always dance if you're a doctor, but you can't doctor if you're a dancer." I entered Stanford when I was sixteen years old. I graduated from Stanford with a B.S. in chemical engineering and fulfilling the requirements for a B.A. in African and Afro-American Studies. Four years later I received my Doctor in Medicine from an Ivy League school. I came back West and interned at the USC medical center. During medical school I traveled to Cuba, Kenya and Thailand to provide primary medical care to people living there. After completing my medical internship, I joined the staff of the Peace Corps and served as a Peace Corps Medical Officer responsible for the health of Peace Corps Volunteers serving in Liberia and Sierra Leone. While In the Peace Corps I fell in love with Sneeze and Fleas, a cute little kitty, who stayed by my side for fifteen years. Being a Star Trek fan I was motivated by Lt. Uhura to check out a program in Houston. My first application at the famous Houston center was turned down but my second was accepted. I was in the first class of space dudes and dudettes after a famous accident. When I first when up into the air I took a poster from the Alvin Ailey American Dance Company along with me. Many people do not see a connection between science and dance but I consider them both to be expressions of the boundless creativity that people have to share with one another. I was the first African-American to share an occupation with Edward, Michael, and Neil. I also lived a dream by appearing on an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I have the distinction of being the first real astronaut to appear on Star Trek. I later founded a company that examined AFTE as a treatment for anxiety, nausea, migraine and tension headaches, chronic pain, hypertension and hypotension, and stress-related disorders. When people say I am a role model I tell them "Here's the deal: Everybody's a role model. ... Role models can be good or bad, positive or negative." I am now a Professor at the Ivy League School that I received my doctorate from and was a professor of Environmental Studies at another Ivy League school. I was on McCall's list of Ten Outstanding Women for the 90s and am a member of the National Women's Hall of Fame. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

I'm not sure the articles are so much scary as very unsettling. The report on the doctors doesn't surprise me. I edited a book based on the true experiences of a woman whose father was a physician, an alcoholic and who physically abused her. He was turned in my colleagues for the drinking, went through treatment and right back to drinking and eventually was responsible for a patient's death. The woman - a girl of ten or twelve, maybe a little older at the time - was suppenoed (sp?) as a witness at his trial.

Actually, I find the nursing article more frightening, in some ways. While doctors may not report co-workers, I suspect they have a tendency to keep a closer eye on them. Outside of surgeries, most doctors don't perform a lot of patient services, beyond office visits. Nurses, on the other hand, are responsible for everything from medications to IVs to catheters to monitoring patient status, much more "hands on" and more directly involved in patient care and recovery outcomes. I agree, there has to be a better way and the heart of it is probably better communication. A national registry is a good idea IF states are vigilant and consistent about immediately entering into the data base any instances involving a nurse's actions, crimes, dismissal for cause and more stringent about revocation of license. If nurses faced the same consequences as doctors, it might help. The nationwide shortage of nurses probably contributes to the problem, particularly in areas considered less attractive for whatever reason. We need more nursing schools, more qualified nurses, which means we need better pay and benefits and incentives. In my experience, nurses have more full time responsibility for patient care, more stress and more contact, yet they're paid a pittance, compared to doctors.

Pat said...

I can't say I'm surprised by either article. Definitely scary, and a call for patient vigilance, for sure.

Beyond that, I agree with everything DR said, and will just add that I heard stats recently on how many doctors and nurses plan to retire soon. The numbers were downright staggering. Shortages of both nurses and primary care docs will soon reach crisis proportions if these stats are correct.

dona said...

I also will say that the doctors report didn't surprise me and is scary. The nursing article didn't surprise me either as I actually knew of a nurse that did just that. The stealing of thousands of dollars worth of medications/prescription pads and the forgery of doctors signatures I would think would be cause for some kind of consequence. But she didn't spend more than an overnight stay and is also now out practicing her trade in another city after her license was revoked.
So I really wonder what can be done.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Unsettling is a good word. The book you edited is frightening and I think that doctor should have been tried for manslaughter.

Good point about doctors watching each other. My brother when he was doing medical malpractive lawsuits said if you wanted to find out what was going on that you bypassed the doctors and went directly to the nurses.

There is no doubt that the nursing shortage is a big part of it!

Teachers and nurses both need higher pay in my humble opinion.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I have to wonder if lay people like all of us here aren't surprised by the articles then wouldn't those in that occupation know what was going on and take steps to change it?

Great information about the retiring numbers. That means as the shortage worsen your words patient vigilance need to be glued to our brains.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

What a sad story about the nurse you know. I sure wouldn't want someone on drugs giving me shots or medicine. Being high might cause he to give me the wrong medication.

There just has to be better communications between states.

Bill