Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Food

Today we are talking food.

First up is a list of food festivals you may want to attend. However, I do think I will avoid the Road Kill Festival:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/food-wine/worlds-weirdest-food-festivals_b_898652.html#s309030&title=La_Tomatina

Did you have a lemonade stand when you were a youngster? My brother and I had several. I remember one we had in Pocatello, Idaho when lived on a busy street. That summer was hot. On our street up about a mile there were doing construction on the road we lived on. The construction workers frequented our stand several times a day. We made what we thought was a fortune. What is the status of lemonade stands today? Read on.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/19/138461324/americas-attack-on-lemonade-stands?sc=fb&cc=fp

Are food trucks making a comeback in your area? Portland isn't really big on food trucks but we are the food cart capital of the world. We have food carts where you can get any kind of food from sea food to peanut butter. A lot of the food carts are in downtown Portland on Alder Street. The names they use are pretty tame. Are food truck names over the top? Click on the link in the article "food truck names that should be banned" in the article at your own risk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-daily-meal/food-truck-names-that-sho_b_901777.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C219401#s311412&title=Hit_n_Run

It seems like Los Angeles has the most names.

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Helen Keller authored yesterday's quote. Today's quote "I like to help women help themselves, as that is, in my opinion, the best way to settle the woman question. Whatever we can do and do well we have a right to, and I don't think any one will deny us." She was born in 1832 and died in 1888, She was a novelist whose most known work loosely based on her childhood. As an adult, She was an abolitionist and a feminist. In 1847, the family housed a fugitive slave for one week. In 1848, She read and admired the "Declaration of Sentiments" published by the Seneca Falls Convention on women's rights. Poverty made it necessary for her to go to work at an early age as an occasional teacher, seamstress, governess, domestic helper, and writer. When the American Civil War broke out, she served as a nurse in the Union Hospital at Georgetown, D.C. There are several types of women but if you know LITTLE WOMEN, you will able to tell me who said today's quote.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

I think I'll avoid all the festivals, except the Lobster Fest. That I could enjoy.

You've posted several articles here and I've read others about enterprising kids setting up lemonade stands and other such, only to be shut down because they didn't have food permits. What's that teach our kids? You can't make it, if you don't know the read tape and/or know someone who can bypass it. Is this really the message we want to give?

I rarely go downtown, but I don't think food trucks are part of the Greenville scene, particularly since they're "revitalized" it. Might be some on the West End. Otherwise, every second or third venue on Main and popular streets is a restaurant of some sort, many with outdoor patios, who aren't in favor of street vendors. About the only time you see food carts are during festivals and most of those are run by the above mentioned restaurants.

Pat said...

I think I could cheerfully pass up the Roadkill Festival and the Bugfest. Cheese rolling might be fun, and the lobster one might be delicious.

I have heard more than one lemonade stand story, as the cops shut them down. Here in my small city, I occasionally see one operating, and I wish them well. So far as I know, we don't shut them down. Nor have I heard about anyone stealing from them.

I hear a lot about food trucks, including "gourmet" food trucks, but I don't seem to see them anywhere I normally go. Some funny names there. I did see the FOOD NETWORK STAR show where they had "Balls on the Roll". It didn't seem to appeal to many people.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would avoid the Lobster fest too, I am not that big of a fan of lobster or sea food unless it is salt water taffy.

I thought what was interesting in the lemonade article was what the author said having a lemonade stand taught. I agree with him or her. And I agree with you about what it teaches when out of control governments try to make them get permits etc.

We have few foot trucks but our food carts have become a destination for both locals and tourists.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The cheese rolling one is most likely the only festival I would go too.

If I see a lemonade stand operating I always stop.

I have heard more than one. I doubt in the powers that be in LA or Burbank have the time to spend on shutting down things so dangerous as lemonnade stands.

Food Carts here have become so popular that if we had another Portland netstock it would be a destination. Alder Street is close to both Powell's and Saturday market.

Bill