Sunday, July 31, 2011

Progress Update.

Been a busy day but thought I would squeeze in a quick update.

Last week - Sunday lunch with Mom. Monday work day. Tuesday and Wednesday nights at Mom. Thursday at Mom's. Friday delivering a work project to Mark. We had a nice talk about taking care of parents. Even with his cancer he is still taking care of his Mom and dad. We had a nice chat about how clueless some siblings are about out parents. Namely, his brother and mine. It was good to discuss things with someone in the same boat. Saturday picking nephew and his family up at the airport. Took a good share of the day. They went to Parris Island, SC to see their daughter graduate from Marine boot camp. She is officially on a seventeen day leave. When she got back to Portland she had a good twenty people waiting for her.

Next week. Today was lunch with mom. Monday - hopefully a movie. Tuesday work around the the house. Wednesday night and Thursday day at Mom's. Friday a me day. Saturday an excursion to the coast.

Progress - I wrote sometime ago on one of my blog entries that when I went on a trip to Klamath Falls two or three years ago out of the blue I had a panic attack. Never had them before that and have only had one of them after that. The fear of having the panic attack is often worse than having the attacks. That fear will often keep you isolated. You worry about what will happen if you have them while you are driving and one a freeway. If you have one, will you hurt someone? That fear leads to a pretty sheltered life. I've been doing a lot of mental exercises and physical ones also. I've been taking short trips to gain confidence. Before the attacks, I've been complimented numerous times on what a good freeway driver that I am. Still since the attacks I've not driven on a freeway other than for a minute or two. That changed last week one morning when I got up and decided it was time to change. I drove two hours on the freeway. Two hours each way. I had to travel to client and back. Since the attacks I've been taking surface roads. This time the Freeway. I did damn good to. Drove like a champ. Better than the others on the freeway. Not attacks. Progress. Doors opening. I think I am proud of myself.

OK, you know the drill. You tell me all that is going on in your life, all that went on in the past, all that is going on now, and all that will be going on in the future. Spill the beans. And answer this question, are the areas of your life that you have made progress in? What are those areas?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Good for you for getting out onto the freeway again! Back in '92, I got rearended on the freeway, and while I couldn't avoid the freeway, I was quite frightened of it for a long time, especially on the same stretch where I got hit, so I understand your avoiding it. Time finally cured me, and apparently it has cured you, also. Bravo!

And good for Mark for taking care of his parents even with his current problems going on! I'm sure it was good for both of you to see that you weren't alone with clueless relatives. Maybe they are not really so clueless. Maybe they know full well how difficult it is and that's why they pretend to ignore everything.

Lady DR said...

You had another busy week. Glad you and Mark were able to talk about parents and sibs. Kudos to him for continuing to care for his parents, despite his own battles. Sometimes, sibs are clueless, sometimes just in flat denial. Happy news about your nephews daughter. Daddy was a Marine - she's already a cyber greatniece (?) to me.

Great news about your freeway trips and no panic attacks. Yes, the fear of them can create a spiral, especially if you're fighting other anxiety issues that lead to panic. Good job, facing the potential and overcoming it.

My week: Worked Monday and Tuesday. Pool three days, line dance Wednesday, with groceries and such, Thursday was getting organized for the weekend venture, had the massage therapy. Friday we left about noon for Waynesville NC for a hamfest (amateur radio swap meet). Scamp's first real venture away from home and into the world of totally strange environment, surroundings, noises, lots of people. She did really well, although I think we walked miles, trying to find a place she thought was "appropriate" for "jobs" the first day. And it was as hot and humid in the mountains as here at home, unfortunately. When it came to the people and noise at the stalls and inside building, she flat sat down and said, "No, Mom." I carried her the first afternoon, used the puppy pack the second. She's shy and timid, probably not unusual for her age and lack of exposure. Initial "coos" and pets were fine, then she nuzzled into my neck. However, between the two of us, we're becoming ambassadors for rescue orgs and rescue dogs and educating people to both and to the Petfinder website, which features a lot of rescue dogs, so that's good. Today, everyone just kind of kicked back and recovered from the heat and all the activity of the last two days.

A msg from a friend I'd lost contact with over the last couple years.We took guitar lessons together at FUlir and she used to come up here and we'd play on occasion, just the two of us. Karen lost her husband about six months ago and I'd sent a card and she'd sent one back. A mutual acquaintance had recently let her know about us losing Skeeter and getting another dog and sent her pix of Scamp and information. Karen is ready to reach out now and suggested we get together with the dogs, as Scamp reminds her of her dog, who is ten years old, but apparently same lineage, somewhat. I look forward to renewing the friendship.

Next week looks like work, therapy, chiro, Scamp time. We'd really like a break in the weather, the triple digit heat indexes, real temps of high nineties to a hundred. Whine.

Where is Dona? What's happening with her and the Shankster? Where are the rest of us - Mary and Snug and all?

Mary said...

I'm here every day, just don't always have a lot to say.

Good job on the driving, Bill! Facing your fears can be paralyzing. I'm really proud of you!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It would be natural after being rear ended to be scared to get on the freeway. The accident was out of your control and that is the scariest of all.

I really want to get over my fears because it opens up options for me, like visiting Ashland again or maybe in the distance future LA. Mom isn't doing that well and if something happens to her I want to fill my time by traveling.

Yes we had some good laughs at our siblings' expense. Mark and I really need to make our siblings do things.

With my brother, I will give you an example. This was when mom was using a walker not a wheelchair. He was at Mom's playing Scrabble with her. I was home. We all were going to meet at my niece's for dinner. Bro calls and says "aren't you going to come in and get mom?", I said "for crying out loud you are already there. She can ride with you." response "I don't know how to put the walker in the car." Mom went with him. She showed him how to put the walker in the car. "open the back seat door. Fold up the walker. Lift walker. Put walker in car."

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Welcome back.

My niece won the award in boot camp for what she said was the Miss Congenialty (sp) award. Your daddy would be proud! She is a great niece, next stop North Carolina.

The fear was keeping for doing things. Finally, I said I can't live this way.

You had a really busy week. Glad to see pool and line dance in there. The Hamfest sounded fun.

I think all things considered Scamp did well. Things will get easier the next trip.

I think it is great that you are becoming rescue dog ambassadors.

How cool that you and your friend reconnected and that there may be a meeting in the future.

Next work also looks busy for you.

As to the weather my niece lives in Dallas wher they have had something like 35 days in a row of triple digits.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

We all could learn from though. Even if you don't have a lot to say, when you have something to say it is always informative and right to the point.

That is exactly what happened. My fear was paralyzing me.

Thanks for being proud of me.

Bill

Pat said...

That's a truly amazing story about your brother and the walker. I could almost understand having a problem about a wheelchair the first time, esp. if the car was tiny, but a walker? Funny picture in my head about your mom explaining how to deal with it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. I also could have understood problems with the wheelchair. How to get it over humps for instance. But a walker? Mom and I were both amazed and I think Mom felt sorry for my brother. I didn't, I was kind of ticked at him.

Bill