Thursday, July 7, 2011

Huggable Stories.

Let's start off today's post with a good catch:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/03/woman-catches-toddler-10-stories_n_889417.html

I loved the following piece on parenting. A touching look at what animals can teach us. It is beautifully written by Lian Dolan.

http://chaoschronicles.com/2011/07/05/the-gift-of-flight/

After the above two articles we all need a hug:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/05/lauree-ostrofsky-bethesda_n_887276.html?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk2%7C217947

Hug away. Well Comment Away.

QUOTES

The lovely Mae West authored yesterday's quote. Today's quote was authored by a poet. "How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!" She was born in 1928 and is still going strong. She has appeared on the blog before as the answer to one of the daily Who Am I questions. Hailed as a global renaissance woman she is a celebrated poet, memoirist, novelist, educator, dramatist, producer, actress, historian, filmmaker, and civil rights activist. She has received over 30 honorary degrees and is Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University. Her words and actions continue to stir our souls, energize our bodies, liberate our minds, and heal our hearts. I KNOW WHERE THE CAGED BIRD SINGS, Do you? If so you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Not an entirely good outcome, but bravo to the woman for catching the child. Let's hope they both recover.

Lovely story about the birds. And how nice that when they flew the nest, they relocated in another part of the same people's yard. Usually if you watch nestlings, they fly away and you never see them again.

Not sure about the hug tour, though from the video it looks rather fun. I think I'd have reservations about hugs from a complete stranger, but as long as she's not just grabbing people, I guess it's okay.

Lady DR said...

I find the story of the falling baby amazing. The women caught her from a 100' drop or more. I hope both do well.

The bird story was so neat. We had bluebirds nest in our birdhouse outside my office one year and it was such fun to watch, especially when the little ones began their "test flites" from branch to branch of the popular tree. Unfortunately, they didn't stay around (pout).

Being a hugger myself, I think the hug tour is a great idea and got a kick out of the newscasters at the end. A real hug, a sincere hug, can make my day. However, I've learned not everyone is a hugger, so now, unless I already know, I tend to ask, "Could you use a hug?" before hugging someone in the pool group or line dance or whatever. I do know Bill is very huggable (g).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I don't I think if someone falls 100 feet and survives or is someone catches something the weight of a baby falling from 100 and survives it is a good result. At least good survive enough to get more medical attention.

I loved the bird story too. I also like how she related it to parenting. Mary for instance letting her next one fly away to college.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for saying I'm huggable!! As are you.

The 100 feet story is amazing. I also hope both do well.

The bird story actuall made me shed a tear or two. I never really got into bird watching now with your comment I wish I had. I never even knew of test flights until yours and Lian's stories.

My dad when meet someone new would always say "I'm a hugger, not a shaker." The newscast actually made me laugh a bit.

Bill