Thursday, July 21, 2011

Off The Shelf.

Today we are doing what I call off the shelf. Sharing articles that I have had for a while.

First up is a very heartwarming article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/18/huffpost-greatest-person-evan-moss-epilepsy_n_901987.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk1%7C219323

Next up is an article about a very good trend, a trend that I hope not only continues but spreads.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-07-17-dna-evidence-exonerates-innocent-prisoners-wrongful-convictions_n.htm

Last is a "are you kidding me article."

http://news.yahoo.com/alabama-still-collecting-tax-confederate-vets-095645624.html

Comment Away


QUOTE

Louisa May Alcott authored yesterday's quote. Today's quote is "I am confirmed in my division of human energies. Ambitious people climb, but faithful people build." She was born in 1819 and died in 1910. She was a prominent American abolitionist, social activist, and poet, most famous as the author of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic. She was also featured on The Dahn Report as the Who Am I of the day. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I am always in awe of people who deal with a child's illness the way the Moss family does. I certainly hope their son got his seizure dog.

I think one of the most horrible things that can happen to a person would be to be wrongfully convicted of a serious crime. I'm glad at least some states are taking steps to correct these mistakes, and I'm glad the Innocence Project and other groups exist to work on them.

The tax isn't much, but the fact that it's just one more levy on homeowners makes me think they should get rid of it. I imagine there would be quite an outcry if Californians were taxed for such a thing, although I imagine Alabamans are still proud of their part in the Civil War, so maybe they don't care.

Lady DR said...

I have to admire the entire Moss family. While I think the son is very brave for saying he wants to raise the money for his dog, I actually hope they'll consider additional funding sources, so he can get a seizure dog asap. I also found it great that the mother is giving such consideration to how this is affecting his sister.

Wrongful convictions. Sometimes, it's just too "easy" to get a conviction, if tactics are used to get confessions or to twist information. I know DNA processing can be expensive, but the bottom line is, how expensive is it to house an innocent prisoner, how detrimental to let the guilty party run free? And what must it do to someone to be wrongfully convicted and imprisoned.

Never heard of the AL tax. It does sound as if they're taking portions of it for other purposes. Maybe if the park was willing to share a bit, the whole thing would go away?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I could never handle things as well as the Moss family have and are handling their son's illness. I also hope he gets his seizure dog.

I am with you, being wrongfully convicted sticks with you the rest of your life even if your eventually found innocent. I am glad some states are righting the wrongs and hope other states will join them.

I just have trouble with the tax as everyone that was the cause of the tax is dead.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The Moss family is amazing. I am with you, the should consider additional funding so he can get his dog. The mother is really strong and very aware about the family unit. Any time anyone is sick as the child it is a family disease.

I think sometimes they focus on a suspect and make the ivestigation fit the suspect instead of investing the crime and consider other suspects. It is expensive to house an innocent man and they lose a lawsuit for wrongful imprisonment. Then there is allowing the guilty to be free which can be dangerous.

I think the Al taxes is fraud, being collected for the wrong reason and not for what it was originally intended for. Now that this is public, it will be able to see what happens with it.

Bill