Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Is For The Good.

Happy to be home this morning. Already today I have been grocery shopping, went to the bank, picked up my dry cleaning, and dropped off a work project at Mark W's. And it is only 9:30!!

Updates on the two Marks. If you are new to the blog just a little background. My friend Mark P. found out he had prostate cancer. The day before his surgery his wife went to the hospital with an unknown virus. He went right from surgery to the his wife's bed and stayed there pretty much until she died less than a week later. He called Wednesday night when I was at Mom's. He is doing better but still having trouble getting over the loss of his wife. His health is a little better and he is eating regularly now so that is a great improvement. I think he will be alright. Mark W. is one of the accountants that bought my practice. He had surgery 6-6 also for prostate cancer. He is back to work but has been in and out of work with some infections and may have to have another surgery. However, the doctor told him this is normal. Mark said he is feeling pretty good. He is taking his parents and his family to the coast next Tuesday. A well deserved break for him.

I need just good news today, don't you?

First up today is a car that will run on anything:

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/07/27/in-detail-the-wood-burning-beaver-xr7/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C220411

Second is a new procedure for one hospital that I think will spread. It can only reduce mistakes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/28/hospital-scan-vein-palm_n_912028.html

Ever wonder why your cable guy is always late? Because he is out saving lives.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/28/cable-guy-saves-boy-drowning_n_911930.html

Comment away and then go out and have a great Friday!


QUOTE

Julia Child authored yesterday's quote. "The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything." was said by a first lady. She was both a big deal and New Deal and an advocate for civil rights. Active in politics for all of her life She chaired the John F. Kennedy administration's ground-breaking committee which helped start second-wave feminism, the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women. Both her husband and uncle were presidents. She was first lady for twelve years. Who authored today's quote?

5 comments:

Pat said...

A wood-burning car? What will they think of next? I have always liked the idea of biofuels--burning garbage for power. Wish they'd make more progress with that.

What a boon the palm-scanning will be to patients who have to go to the hospital for tests or overnight stays fairly often. Their check-ins can be ridiculous if you've just done that a day or two earlier.

Somehow I doubt that our cable repair people save lives very frequently. However, my hat is off to the guy in San Antonio for saving the boy's life.

Pat said...

PS: My best to both Marks, esp. Mark W. just because I actually know him. I hope he can avoid further surgery, and I'd question the doc's statement that it's "normal". But what do I know? I don't even have a prostate. Whatever, good wishes to both.

dona said...

Thanks for the update on both of your Mark friends. I had wondered about them both lately and especially the one who lost his wife. After this with the Shankster lately, I wondered how he got along without any help in recovering himself. To Pat, I will say after going through a bit of this recently with the Shankster, the "normal" comment has come up more than we care to hear anymore. I just wonder how many of the docs had this type of surgery and still call this "normal".

William J. said...

Hi Pat

When you have prostate cancer urinary tract infections are very common as our hemmoroids, follow-up minor surgery for those are normal.

I also liked bio-fuels. It would be nice if we could be less dependant on gas, then watch the price come down.

Check-ins at hospitals take for ever. I always say if you are going to an ER go in an ambulance. They will take you right away and check you in while they are hooking up an IV.

I was kind of joking about the cable guy being late because he was saving lives. I don't if they save as much lifes as early morning newspaper carriers do.

I will pass on my good wishes to the Mark that you know.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Always good to hear from my cyber sister.

The Mark that lost his wife basically has nobody, it is physically able to most everything. So that is good.

I really hope The Shankster is improving. I really am feeling sorry for the poor dude.

Bill