Friday, July 22, 2011

Bad Advise

I'm late today. Caregiver emergency. Had to meet with her and give her some information before she made a decision based on bad information. It really bothers me that there are professionals out there that give as bad advise as they gave her. It was about Social Security. She has good information now. It concerned how much she could make before they took some of her social security back. If anyone of you is interested, then in a blog post some day I will be happy to post the rules for you. On to today's post.

First up is an interesting discovery:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/07/20/stone-age-fireplace-discovered-on-sainsbury-retail-site/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk1%7C219420

Next up is a good dude doing good things and on a janitor's salary too.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/07/20/high-school-janitor-sells-car-to-buy-football-team-helmets/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk1%7C219594

A lot of you are suffering from out of control heat waves and may be considering moving. I am here to help you pick the right place:

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/story/2011/07/The-five-best-small-towns-in-America/49573514/1

I noticed Baker City, Oregon was one of the runner ups for the most beautiful. It is pretty but your sure in the hack don't want to be there in the winter.

QUOTE'

Julia Ward Howe authored yesterday's quote. Today's quote is "Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." She was born in 1905 and died in 1982. She was a Russian-American novelist, philosopher, playwright and screenwriter. She is known for her two best-selling novels and for developing a philosophical system she called Objectivism. If you know THE FOUNTAINHEAD, ATLAS SHRUGGED, or WE THE LIVING then you can answer the question, who authored today's quote?

8 comments:

Pat said...

So cool about finding a stone age fireplace in a soon-to-be retail site. I would hope they'd build around the fireplace and keep it as a draw for customers. It would be a draw for me, and I might even buy one of their prawn sandwiches. Maybe.

I would think that guy with a wife with MS and in assisted living, plus a legally blind elderly mother might have better uses for his money than football helmets, no matter how much he loves the game and the kids. But that's just me, the curmudgeon.

I don't think I'd quite fit in a town with a lot of patriotic fervor, even if it had the friendly people, great scenery, etc., etc. I might be an outcast in record time.

Lady DR said...

Neat about the fireplace discovery. I hope the archeologists are able to get lots of answers and info and, I like Pat's idea about keep the fireplace(s) as a tourist draw. Creativity ought to allow them to build around the ancient sites?

I think it was wonderful of the janitor to be so involved, he wanted to get the team helmets, but how the heck is he getting to work and accomplishing all that's involved with caring for his mother and visiting his wife? On the one hand, I admire his spirit and dedication to the team. On the other, I wonder if there might not have been a better way to raise the funds.

Btw, the story below that, about the paramedics making a detour to take the man to see his little league team play was wonderful.

Best places to live... despite the heat wave, drought and all, I'll pick where I am. I've got the beauty of the mountains, friendly communities, a host of entertainment events for free almost every night for six months out of the year, universities, museums and galleries for culture. I may grump about the heat indexes in summer or the occasional ice storm, but it's the right place for me, at least at the moment.

dona said...

As always Bill you are helping somebody. Caregiver doesn't know how good she surely has it. I would be interested in the rules if and when you should ever decided to post them.

Even though I am also done with the heatwave we have been in for I don't even know as my brain is fried.....and as much as DR's homeplace sounds wonderful I feel at home where I am...(well despite this particular house) :)

Lady DR said...

Bill, I meant to comment on what you said about the caregiver being given bad information. A lot of folks don't understand how SS works with earned income - Lord knows, I read everything I could find, when I decided to take early SS and knew I'd have to keep working. Bless you for giving the caregiver proper information. I suspect a lot of folks, whether they respond or lurk, would appreciate the basic information on how earnings work with SS income.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The stone age fireplace was kind of neat and like you I hopen they build around the fireplace and maybe even make it the center of the building. I am not going as to eat a prawn sandwich.

I actually agree with you about the janitor. However, it was funds he normally had because he sold a vehicle for it. I also wonder now that he is getting some publicity maybe people will step up and do something for him.

In a ideal world being here or in Ashland six months and Palm Springs or LA six months would be perfect.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

That makes three of us that hopes they build around the fireplace. I would if it is still safe to start a fire in it or if there would be any money investment required to make it safe.

I also loved the story of the paramedics taking the man to the little league game because it was pretty big news. It made the national news and Good Morning America. I wrongly assumed everyone had already seen it.

As to the janitor we all three are in agreement, the money might have been better spent and funds could have been raised differently. Maybe even a benefit dance or a sale for both of them.

Where you are living sounds beautiful. It actually sounds like Portland. Mt. Hood 70 miles one direction, the coast 70 miles the other direction, Saturday market, Powells, Farmers Markets everywere, Ashland five hours away for Shakespeare, Lots of Theater in Portland and surrounding communites. Still the one thing you can't change is the weather and I'd rather be somewhere else during the winter.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

How did The Shankster my buddy do at the doctor?

I really was helping myself instead of the caregiver because she was going to quit and then I would have had to do more nights at Mom. She just got bad advise and poor professional help. The person that did her tax return had all the information he needed to help her and warn her. He discouraged her from taking legitmate deductions so she ended up over the limit you can make when you are on social security (14,160 until full retirment age) and to pay back half of the amount over the limit.) She could have been warned when he taxes were done. Then the idiot at SS told her she had to pay every thing pack not just half the amount over SS. So she basically quit yesterday because why should she work if she didn't get any money?
I will do her tax return next year and claim the deductions, so she will be fine.

Feeling at home is they key. Now when one of us wins the lottery we will get you a different house.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I will post some of the rules on a post next week. I actually learned something when I was giving the caregiver information. If you go over the limit and have to pay back social security for excess earnings then when you turn full retirement age they will ad it back to your social security.

Bill