Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Touching, The Beautiful, & The Huh?

The second night and day for three days and two days at Mom's. I also have to take my nephew and his family to the airport this morning.

Let's start with a story that made me shed more than one tear. It is an update from a story we had a few months ago. I just wished everyone would have stepped up to the plate sooner so that the little girl would have known she met her goal:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/24/girl-dies-after-crash-selfless-act-inspires-thousands-in-donations/?hpt=hp_bn1

Now here is a beauty pageant that I would love to attend:

http://news.yahoo.com/ala-crown-nursing-home-beauty-queen-183244166.html

I really want to see who wins. I know she will be beautiful in many ways!

I'm closing with a head shaker, a disturbing head shaker

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/how-us-money-ends-up-in-taliban-hands/2011/07/24/gIQAzHQdXI_graphic.html

And we are so short of money that we have to cut Medicare and Social Security?

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Yesterday's quote was authored by Jean.Kerr. "If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew you never knew." was authored by a young lady born in 1595 and died in 1617, the year she became the most famous. At the time she was born, it was common for the Algonquian-speaking Virginia Indians to be given several personal names. Bestowed at different times, the names carried different meanings and might be used in different contexts. It was not uncommon for American Indians to have more than one name at the same time, to have secret names that only a select few knew, and to change their names on important occasions. Early in her life she was given a secret name and later another name. We know her by the name she had right before she married John but not John of Jamestown. After converting to Christianity and right after she married she changed her name to a more traditional name. She was considered, in the popular culture and even by many academics, to be a princes. She is most famous for saving Captain John of Jamestown's life in a story that some historians doubt. After joining of with the Jamestown crew she was captured and held prisoner for a year. The myths that arose around her story portrayed her as one who demonstrated the potential of Native Americans to be assimilated into European society. Who authored today's quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Lovely that so many people contributed to Rachel's good cause. It's just so sad that she isn't around to know it.

Oh, good grief! A nursing home beauty queen? Sorry, but that strikes me as patronizing. I wish they'd shown the contestants.

The third story? Disgusting. When will we learn? To finance useless foreign incursions, and incidentally help our enemies, we will need to cut Medicare and SS? Who's running our country, anyway, idiots? Or is that a no-brainer these days? Grump, grump.

Lady DR said...

What a wonderful story about the little girl who wanted donations for her birthday. I have a feeling she's looking down from her own little cloud and smiling broadly.

Like Pat, I wish they'd shown pix of the contestants. There are some very attractive seniors out there, from 65 to 100.

Given what Himself saw in Africa - food donations being sold by the gov't in the local markets, if they weren't kept by the PTB - and what little I know of how much of our money never makes it beyond the gov't treasury in third world countries, I'm afraid I'm not surprised to find we're supporting the insurgents we're fighting against. Sigh. It comes back to my contention that until we can support our own citizens and provide decent living, decent health care, assistance to the elderly (from affordable housing to affordable assisted living), we need to quit sending money to third world countries (and others) in hopes of buying their support or loyalty or whatever the heck we think we're going to get in return.

Yes, we're being governed by idiots, more intent on their own wellbeing and reelection and such. Bill. I'll forward you an interesting article Himself sent me. You may want to include it here. Or not.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is sad that she didn't know how far the little girls works went.

I kind of like the idea of nursing home beauty contest. So many times we don't look at older men and older women as being "beautiful" so I think it is nice that there is a contest that celebrates it.

Spending money on misguided wars like Iraq, the worst mistake in the history of the US, and for useless foreign projects at the expense of our own citizens is stupid.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I can of believe like you do that the little girl is looking down also but in case I'm wrong it would have been so meaningful if people would have stepped up a little earlier.

I agree with you about there being some really attractive seniors, many times more attractive than junior.

I will see if I can include the column on a post when I get back from Mom's.

Bill