Saturday, February 9, 2008

Clara Is Back

It has now been over three weeks since the uninsured, unlicensed driver ran a red light and disabled my car. Finally, just yesterday I got the car back. It took longer than expected because they found more damage and had to get additional approval from the insurance company to pay for the additional damage. Then yesterday when I went to pick the car up it was ready except that the doofuses forgot to put the antenna back on. They took almost a half of an hour to find my antenna. The car does look gerat and I am just glad to be able to drive Clara again.

I named my car after my Aunt Clara. When Aunt Clara died in 2004 she left me an annuity that was just enough to buy a new car. I was totally shocked that she thought that much of me because we really hadn't been in contact for a while. Bless her heart.

My dad had five sisters. From oldest to youngest, Nola, Augusta, Emilla, Clara, and Ella. Emilla and Augusta married brothers. Nola married young but was widowed at an early age. Clara and Ella both married but never had children. I knew all of them very well except Nola. I was to young when Nola was in my life to really remember her. Augusta's husband, Bob, always took me to Dodger games when I visited them in L.A. They lived in Glendale. Our family usually spent thanksgiving at Bill and Emilla's in Longmont, Colorado. We often visited Clara and Ella in San Francisco. They would take us to Fisherman's wharf and various places around San Francisco. Clara was my guiding light to become a CPA. Ella was my idol because of where she lived, Nob Hill in a absolutely beautiful house. A house that I always wanted. All five sisters have passed on now. Clara and Ella were the last. Clara in 2004 and Ella last year. Both were living in Sun City, California at the time of their deaths. After Dad died and then Clara passed away I felt a real need to reconnect with Aunt Ella. I begin emailing her and writing her snail mail letters. What I found was an amazingly bright 88 year-old woman that was having her writings published in the local newspaper. When my cousin was cleaning out her house she found some amazing writings of Aunt Ella and we are considering having them published. I'm hoping I have Aunt Ella's writing genes.

I don't know what is making me think of my aunts on my dad's side. Probably because the car is such a close connection to Aunt Clara. Clara and Ella were very close. When I have my car, Clara, I feel really close to them. The last three weeks I not only missed my car but missed the connection to Aunts Clara and Ella. I'm glad that connection is back.

Today Mom and I are taking Clara for a drive to McMinville, Oregon to look at a retirement home. McMinville is about an hour from where I live but I pre-screened the retirement home and think Mom would like it. Wish me luck everyone.

May this be an outstanding day for all of you. Laugh a little, love a lot.

12 comments:

Mary Z said...

Welcome home, Clara! I'm sure she's as glad to be back as you are to have her. I loved the stories about your aunts. My mother was one of three girls. The youngest is still living - a vibrant 88. I think I mentioned her before. All three girls were (and are) really special.

I think that would be great to to publish Ella's writings. I put this link in my blog last night, but be sure to check it out. It's the WW I letters from a soldier, presented as a blog.

http://wwar1.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your trip to the retirement complex today. We'll be eager to hear about it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you had good luck on your trip with your Mom. I am very close to my two aunts as well. There is something about the relationship that is so different that the one I have with my Mom.

Mary said...

Good luck today, I hope it goes well!

Pat said...

I'm happy for you that Clara is back home, and I am crossing all my crossables that your mom liked the retirement place. I rather wish she'd like one a bit closer to you, but any step forward is a good step.

William J. said...

Hello Mary Z

I love vibrant 88 year-olds. They just show me that is is possible to age gracefully.

I hope every one that is reading this will check out the blog that you mentioned in your post, it is a great blog.

William J. said...

Hi Kim

Nice to see you. I think Aunts are special because we can talk things over with them that we can't with our Mom's. I was lucky to have six aunts (one on Mom's side.)

The trip to the retirement didn't go all that well. I post more in a message to Mary.

William J. said...

Mary

How is tax season going?

The trip didn't go well at all. Mom didn't like the place. I knew she wouldn't the minute I picked her up and she started stating all the reasons she wasn't going to like before even seeing it.

That kind of negativity just exhausts me.

William J. said...

Hi, Pat

I was actually thinking that may be far away would be an advantage for me and for her. She would then have to be responsible for her entertainment because I couldn't go there everyday. That way she would kind of be forced to involve herself in the facilties activities.

She didn't like it though so it is kind of a moot point.

Mary Z said...

I'm sorry the place didn't work out, Bill. Don't get discouraged, though. You'll find something - or the situation will change. Be sure to read my blog tonight - I have a "guest blogger" and he has a great take on decision making.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Clara's back - now we'll have to meet for coffee soon. I've been so busy trying to get the NWOUG journal "put to bed" - I am not an editor by any stretch of the imagination and really all I'm doing to techinically creating this journal. It has been a dark cloud over my shoulder for quite some time and I am jubilent at getting close to the end. Next year, let them get someone else!

Bummers about your mom not liking it before she even saw it. I totally agree about how exhausting that sort of negativity is on everyone involved.

As my "coach" tells me - life can turn on a dime... so here's thinking that a bright shiny dime is your very near future!

William J. said...

Mary Z

I check you blog out most every day so did read the post about decision making. He is right on about making it more fun.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Janet

I will look forward to coffee.

My guess is you are a lot better editor than you think you are. What is the journal that you are working on? Is it online journal? I would love to read it.

The danger you might run into is doing so well that they won't let anyone else do it next year!

I'm still really optimistic that just the right place will appear. I just have to quit trying to force it.

Thank you for the dime.