Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Letter From My Dad

Was cleaning out the garage today. I am lately a little obsessed with cleanliness and order. The garage needs both so I started the process early this morning. I found a scrapbook my mom had made for me a few years back. In it as was a letter my dad had written to me while I was in college after the car accident. I thought I would share that with you now.

Dear Bill

We miss you here at home but are proud that you are in college. My greatest disappointment in life is that I had to drop out of college after two years to care for my sisters.

Hope you are doing well and are doing better than your Dodgers. Mom and I are working hard in the store but love our customers.

Thought I would share with you the prayer that your Mom and I say every morning:

"So far today. I've done all right;

I haven't gossiped, haven't lost my temper, haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or over-indulgent. I'm very thankful for that.

But in a few minutes, God, I'm going to get out of this bed and from then on I'm probably going to need a lot more help." Amen.

We will be looking for your visit after the spring term is complete. The doctor says you have to have one more surgery this summer. Please know our hearts are always with you. We will be there when the surgery is scheduled. We know it has been tough for you but you are strong and we are sure you will pull through like a champ.

Mom wants to send one a prayer for you. Written by John Hall.

AT DAY'S END

Is anybody happier because you passed their way?

Does anyone rememer that you spoke to them today?

The day is over and toiling time is through.

Will anyone now utter a kindly word about you?

Can you say a single soul that passed your way?

Is a heart rejoicing over what you did or said?

Did you waste the day or spend it well?

Did you leave a trail of kindness or a scar of discontent?

Will the world be better for the day you lived?



Well, take care Bill, we love all three of you children.

Love,

Dad.

Now you know why I miss my dad so much and always will.

12 comments:

Pat said...

The letter is lovely, Bill. What a nice thing to have!

Mary Z said...

What a great letter! And I know if I'd found something like that unexpectedly, I'd probably still be sitting on the garage floor bawling my head off.

I'm not religious, but I do love the morning prayer. Thanks for sharing your prize.

Janet said...

Your dad sounds like a warm and funny man who loved you very much. I know what you mean about always missing your dad. My daddy died about 7 years ago now and I still miss him so much!

SymplyAmused said...

That was so nice...I miss my Daddy too!!!

Anonymous said...

Your Dad sounded like a very special person, Offy!

Anonymous said...

When my Dad passed away about 4 years ago, I found a quote from a saint (I don't remember which saint)that gave me comfort, and I carried the quote in my pocket for several months. The quote is: "He who we have loved and lost is no longer where he was before. He is now wherever we are." I truly believe that, and it still brings me comfort. I do believe they are our guardian angels, and as we make this human connection over our shared grief, our Dads are greeting eachother, becoming buddies and adding eachother's loved ones to their guardian list.
Diane T.

William J. said...

Pat

Thanks, Pat. I found all sorts of good things in the garage. If I can get my scanner up and running I
might post some of the pictures on the blog.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary Z

I spent some time on the garage floor crying. My kidneys have always been to close to my eyeballs.
bill

William J. said...

Janet

Dad was a very warm and funny man.

I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. I'm sure he was a very good man, he sure has a nice daughter. I don't think you ever stop missing your parents.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Symply

Thank you. When did you dad pass away? I don't think you ever stop missing them.

Bill

William J. said...

Hey Lisa

Dad was a special man. I had a great role model.

Bill

William J. said...

Diane T.

I love and agree with the quote. I often think I see signs of dad near me.

I also love the idea that our dads are becoming friends and adding each other's family to their angel list.

I know they are our guardian angels as I often feel that my dad is near me. Both my brother and I have had unusual experiences that I might share on my blog at some point.

Bill