Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Day

The Super Bowl of Movies is today. While I am not a big TV watcher there are certain things on TV I just won't miss. Top Chef, Dancing With The Stars, Friday Night Lights, Award Shows, The Super Bowl, March Madness, Boston Legal and The Oscars.

I thought I would update my Oscar picks today.

Best Movie - nominees; There Will Be Blood, Juno, Atonement, No Country For Old Men, and Michael Clayton.

I want to win: Atonement

Don't Want to Win: No Country For Old Men.

Should Win: Atonement

Will Win: No Country For Old Men.


Best Director - Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell And The Butterfly), Jason Reitman (Juno),
Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton), The Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men), Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)

I want to Win - Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly was an amazing movie about stroke victims. Rent it.

Don't Want To Win - Coen Brothers. I am probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like the Coen Brothers. I didn't get Fargo. I think I got No Country For Old Men but won't really know for a few years.

Should Win - Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton.

Will Win - The Coen Brothers.

Best Actor - George Clooney (Michael Clayton), Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood), Johnny Depp (Sweeney Toodd), Tommy Lee Jones (In The Valley of Elah), Virgo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)

Want to Win - Daniel Day Lewis

Don't Want To Win - Johnny Depp

Should Win - Daniel Day Lewis

Will Win - Daniel Day Lewis.

Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth - The Golden Age), Julie Christie (Away From Her), Marion Cotillard (I La Vie en Rose), Laura Linney (The Savages), Ellen Page (Juno)

Want to Win - Julie Christie. She was the female version of my dad the three years before he died.

Don't Want To Win - Cate Blanchett

Should Win - Julie Christie

Will Win - Julie Christie

Best Supporting Actor - Casey Affleck (The Assasination of Jesse James), Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men), Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War), Hal Holbrook (Into The Wild), Tom Wilkerson (Michael Clayton)

Want to Win - Hal Holbrook. Loved him since Mark Twain.

Don't Want To Win - Javier Bardem. Good role but it wasn't a supporting role it was a lead role. He was on the screen more than any actor in the movie. Should have been nominated for lead role not supporting role. My sense of justice says it isn't fair to put him into the same catergory as a Tom Wilkerson or a Hal Holbrook whom had true supporting roles.

Should Win - Hal Holbrook.

Will Win - in an upset Hal Holbrook.

Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There), Ruby Dee (Amercan Gangster), Saoirse Ronan (Atonement), Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone), Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

Want to win - Ruby Dee, I'm just fond of older actors and actresses. Let them go out of this world being appreciated.

Don't Want To Win - doesn't matter I like all these ladies.

Should Win - Amy Ryan

Will Win - Saoirse Ronan

Best Song - Falling Slowly (Once), Raise It Up (August Rush), all from Enchanted (Happy Working Song, So Close, That's How You Know)

Want to Win - Falling Slowly (Once)

Don't Want To Win - anything from Enchanted.

Should Win - Falling Slowly (Once)

Will Win - Falling Slowly (Once). If this doesn't win look for news reports of a man going insane and destroying his new HDTV.

Last but not least Cinematography- The Assasination of Jesse James, Atonement, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, The Diving Bell & The Butterfly.

Want to Win - I am really partial to The Diving Bell & The Butterfly. My dad had a stroke, I once donated my time to help with stroke victims. This is real.

Don't Want To Win - The Assasination of Jesse James.

Should Win - Atonement

Will Win - There Will Be Blood.

May your family and friends appreciate you today and give you awards for being there for them!

11 comments:

Mary Z said...

It'll be interesting to see how good a prognosticator you are. I haven't seen any of the movies yet, but probably will. I don't watch award shows, but do read the results. I'll be checking against your list. I hope you enjoy the evening, and have no reason to destroy your new HDTV. 8^)

Anonymous said...

This is a hysterical clip!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4wEEklslY

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Sometimes I do good with my picks, sometimes I don't because a lot of times I pick with my heart.

I've been a huge movie fan since I was a kid and Saturday mornings we would go to the downtown theatre and see movies for a quarter. Movies are cheaper than a pyschologist for me. It is my therapy.

The reason I want "Falling Slowly" from Once to win is the two stars were completely unknown a year ago. Once had a budget of one hundred thousand dollars. Now the two stars have gone from the streets of Ireland to performing at the Oscars. Competing against movies with several million dollar budgets. Got to root for the underdog. The song is great too.

Bill

William J. said...

Lisa

I love Tina Fey/

Bill

Mary Z said...

Bill, when I was a kid, I went to the movies every time the show changed - then it was 4 times a week, and frequently double features. But once I started having kids (at age 20), that sort of came to a halt. John never was a movie-goer, so we never started back up again. I'd still go frequently, given the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

This was kind of cool......I was watching the Oscars with my mom. and she has seen almost every PICTURE OF THE YEAR.(80 years, mom is 84).....EXCEPTION.........SILENCE OF THE LAMBS...........she refuses to see thar...My mom is really a very neat, cool lady!

William J. said...

Mary

Kids do change the game plan quite a bit.

Maybe we can get John to go to more movies this year!

Bill

William J. said...

Lisa

I love your Mom and I won't go to Silence of The Lamb either.

What did you think of the song "Falling Slowly" performed by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from Once?

Bill

Anonymous said...

Very pretty song! (Got to see one second of Nick dancing on the Oscars..)

Anonymous said...

BTW How was the Oscar party?

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

I wasn't abe to get to the Oscar party, the guys that bought my business overloaded me with work but I was able to work at home and watch the Oscar shows all day.

Bill