Thursday, February 28, 2008

From The Serious To The Funny And An Invitation.

First, the invitation. For those out there that don't have a blog, don't want to start a blog, but want to be a blogger for a day let me know by email at williamjdahn@aol.com and I will set you up as a guest blogger for a day. An important event in your life that you want to share? Feeling the stress dealing with elderly parents? Have a romantic breakup that is troubling you? Want to review a movie that you have recently seen? Need advise or support? I am open to any subject except hate filled tirades against any gender, political party, or group of people. You can talk politics if you want just do it in a way that doesn't include bashing.

Second, the serious. I took Mom to the emergency room last night. She had an infection that was growing. Like any infection it was causing a fever and spells. We lucked out and our favorite emergency room doctor was on last night, a woman doctor, Dr. Moore. I just love her. She is just so kind in the way she deals with my Mom. They took a bunch of tests, determined what the infection was, gave her the appropriate drugs and sent her home. I called Mom already this morning and she seems to be doing well.

The eerie thing about this is that if you read yesterday's blog entry you know that I was having dreams about Mom suffering. I just knew something was going to happen. It did happen just not on the grand scale of the dreams. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I can't predict the future and I am certainly not pyschic. However, sometimes I just get these strong feelings of things that are to be and they happen. I also sometimes feel strong connections to people that I meet for the first time and sometimes have never met. It happens often enough that my friends and family pay attention if I say something about it. I've also learned to listen to my inner conscience. I'm also sometimes frightened by it.

Third, the funny. In today's Oregonian's Edge Column they gave the results of a Washington Post contest where the Post asked readers to supply new definitions of words beginning from A to H. Here are my favorites:

Airstrip - pretending to take your clothes off.

Algebra - Lingerie worn by mermaids.

Bandicoots - The Rolling Stones.

Bumbling - Butt cheeks piercings.

Eggs Benedict - The Pope's edict on fertility treatments.

Farenheit - Moderately tall.

Hope this day will be full of wonderful surprises and that you enjoy every minute of it.

9 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I LOVE "bandicoots." What a perfect definition!

William J. said...

I love bandicoots too but my favorite is Airstrip.

Bill

Mary Z said...

Those definitions are hysterical! I laughed out loud.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. We do get psychic about those we love sometimes. My friend's mom was moved to a skilled care facility today. Stress is still there, but, with any luck, there won't be any immediate things to tend to for a few days (maybe).

Mary Z said...

I'm not sure my favorite isn't Eggs Benedict.

Pat said...

Love the humor and it's interesting about your instant feelings about people, but what I find alarming is that you have a "favorite Emergency Room doctor". You've been there entirely too often, I'd say!

William J. said...

Those definitions made my morning. It was nice to laugh. I liked Eggs Benedict so much that I posted it as a question on my profile.

I read your blog this morning and left a comment for your friend with a link to a web page that I hope will help here.

Mom is doing much better but the one thing that I didn't mention in the report today is they found bruises on her back and hip. Which means she has fallen and not told us or the caregivers. Both I and the doctor had a nice talk with her and I am hoping that she listened and will be more forthcoming with her falls.

I wish my mental telepathy was reserved for just relatives but it branches out now and then.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Since 2001 without exaggerating I've been to the emergency room with my dad, my sister, my mom, a friend close to 100 times. That doesn't include the two times I went for myself, well once being sent from the doctor's office. I know every nurse and doctor that is at the emergency room of LMP.

I would tend to agree with you that I have been there to often.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill - Those words were hilarious. I am sorry to hear your Mom is ill. Being a caretaker is hard work. We just had a parent teacher conference for our daughter tonight and although things are okay, sometimes things are said that are hard to digest. Cheers!

William J. said...

Hi Kim

Nice to see you. Sounds like you had a stressful day. How old are your children? I'm glad things are OK but there is a lot of worry before those meetings.

Mom is doing better but still not herself. I still see signs of her failing and that is the hard part.

Bill