Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

A day when we remember our wounded and lost that have served the country. A day to honor our soldiers. A day of hot dogs, hamburgers and family get togethers. A day to honor those that you have lost in your family and the friends that have moved on. However, today I am going to use it as a day to honor my support system.

I've told the story before about the time my dad was helping paint our church when he fell off of the ladder. The emergency room doctor was a friend of ours. When dad came into the emergency room Dr. W asked my dad "what in the world happened John?" My dad responded "I was up on the ladder making peace with the lord and the damn devil pulled the ladder out from under me."

That is what this week has felt like. The damn devil pulled the ladder out from under me. Things are great now. I'm almost back emotionally to where I was before the Klamath Falls trip. I've had several great days in a row. What turned it around was my support system. It always surprises me how people will crawl out of the wordwork to help you when things aren't going just exactly right for you.

First, I want to thank all of you. The comments you made and the emails that you sent were extremely helpful. Thank you all for being there.

Second, my nephew-in-law and niece. The night there eating ribs was the turning point. Now my nephew (in law really but from now will be referred to as my nephew) and I have scheduled a trip to fly together to see my brother. I haven't flown since 9-11 and it is going to be great to have a flying buddy on my first trip out. We are going in the middle of June right before my birthday. It will be a good test before I fly alone.

Third, my brother. He seldom or never calls but he got wind of my bad week and took the time to call. That is great that he cares. It helped to talk to him because he had the same kind of week that I did. Must have been in the air.

Fourth, my sister. We are so different in politics but we are always there for each other.

And last but not least my mother. This really came to forte last night when she was willing to try something I thought that she would never try and I was so proud of her for not only trying but succeeding. Mom can't walk a long distance easily. We bought her a mobile wheelchair that s he has been trying around Chehalem Springs. When she goes outside to practice she does it with me. We are building up her confidence and she is getting better at. There is a Wendy's about a half of mile from where she is staying. Last night I convinced her to ride the wheelchair to Wendy's for dinner. She took the wheelchair, I walked next to her or behind her. She made it with flying colors. It darn near killed me trying to keep up with her but I made it too. When we got home she called my sister. She was proud of herself, sis and I where proud of her. It was such a great feeling for everyone. Way to go Mom. Made for a great end to a great day.

OK, everyone. In one of the next few days I am going to ask you what is on your bucket list. What you want to accomplish or do before you die. I am having a trouble filling out mine so that is why it will be the next few days instead of tomorrow. So far I only have two items on my list.

Have a great holiday everyone!

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

How wonderful for your mom to know she has mobility again! And kudos to you for seeing that she got it.

I forgot to think of the bucket list, but one that I sometimes mention is that I would like to fly first class on a long overseas flight before I have to give up that kind of travel. (I keep working on those frequent flyer miles. 8^) )

William J. said...

Mary Z

I've only flown first class once. My brother and I were traveling together once and we always have a lot of fun when we do things. The desk clerk, said "you guys are having so much fun it is just making my day." She upgraded us to first class. It was only a two hour flight. But it was fun. Then on the flight back bro had a panic attack and hasn't flown since.

I hope you do get to fly first class in the not so distance future.

The wheelchair will got mom out in the fresh air and that is always good for someone.

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

Oh, I'm so happy to hear you sounding better, Bill. And what positive news about your mother! Obviously she'll have you out doing exercises if this keeps up!

I'll have to think about my bucket list. On my list of things to do all have either been done, or are now beyond my grasp (such as a photo safari to Africa). But flying first class at least once sounds like a goal to aim for!

William J. said...

Bev

It is always so nice to see you here. I actually didn't know what I was getting myself into when I told mom we would go to Wendy's, she put that chair on four (five is the fastest) and man did I have to hoof it to keep up with it.

Thanks for saying I sound better. Most my down periods I recover from in a short time. Now if I can get my humor back.

Hope things are good with you.

Pat said...

Happy Memorial Day, Bill. I'm glad you're getting your groove back, and glad you have a support system to help you do it.

Way to go, Mom! Good for her for making the Wendy's trip, even if she nearly killed you doing it. Here's to many happy trips for her in the future!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Happy Memorial Day to you too.

I am so much better than I was a week ago. Things always get better for me. I'm a fast healer, emotionally or physically.

With my walking up to four miles a day I am it good enough shape to easily walk the distance it was to Wendy's however when she gets that wheel chair going then it becomes a run and that is interesting.

Bill