Saturday, May 31, 2008

Another Fear and Little Things Mean A Lot

Scheduled a dentist appointment for June 9th. Haven't been for a while but as part of me trying to get back to top health teeth are a part of it. I knocked off the accident fear, then scheduled a flight, and now scheduled a dentist appointment. So the list of fears on my fear list is getting smaller and smaller.

As to the little things mean a lot. Susan the caregiver for mom bought a motor home and wanted to show it to mom so Susan, Mom, and I had dinner together at Chehalem Springs the other night. The motor home was really nice and Susan got a great buy on it. I'm not sure I would buy a motor home today with the gas prices but Susan doesn't really have any place to live and the motor home is cheaper than a home and gives her a place to go. Anyhow while we were having dinner I did something that I thought anyone would do. Some of the residents there can't get themselves back to their room so the aides wheel them to their apartments. Sometimes senior citizens are very impatient. One of the aides was pushing a resident to the room and turned to another resident "I will be back to get you as soon as I take so and so to the room." As soon as the aide got out of sight the other resident started pushing her wheelchair on her own, she just wasn't going to wait for the aide to come back. I didn't think the resident was going to be able to do it herself so I got up went over there and asked if she needed help. She said sure. She lived on the second floor and I pushed her in the wheelchair up to her room . I didn't think it was fair for the lady not to wait for the aide but the resident was a risk to hurt herself so I just did what I thought was the safest. The lady was also crying so I knew she was probably in pain. I joked with her all the way up to her room and by the time we got to the room she was smiling. Now I had no idea what this lady's background was but the next day it was all over Chehelam Springs what a nice man I was and that I was welcome at the lady's vineyard anytime. I guess the lady owns a vineyard and it is only in Chehelam Springs for respite care. The vineyard is only about five miles from where I live. I will be visiting there when she is back home.

So what little thing has someone done for you recently that meant a lot to you?

2 comments:

Pat said...

I find it a little amusing that this post from yesterday had no comments. I guess everybody is thinking hard trying to remember something nice somebody did for them.

For me, it's easier, since while I was incarcerated at home with my broken ankle, lots of people stepped right up to the plate and did nice things for me. Too many to pick just one, though friend Ruth did the most, ferrying me back & forth to doc app'ts and calling me every time she planned to grocery shop. And of course daughter and SIL were here often to help out and to give me a taste of the outside world. Friends and family can really be great.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It always amazes what posts get the most comments not only on my blog but on the other blogs I go to. Mary Z writes some really good stuff and the best stuff she writes gets the fewest comments. Bev's blog is the same way as is Dona's and Symply's. They all write this amazing stuff and then something else gets more comments.

The amount of help that you got while you were recovering just shows how much you are liked. It is the times when you need help that you find out how important family and friends are to you.

I have people do nice things for me all the time. Even the support I get here on the blog amazes me, everyone that posts is so supportive.

Bill