Friday, May 23, 2008

The Perfect Storm Plus Top Chef Report

The perfect storm hit my life this week. It has been a tough week.

This is what happened this week:

1. A computer crash where I lost all my bookkeeping data for 2008. I hate Windows Vista. It took at least part of two days getting all the information back in my system. Everything is restored except my company books but I will have to wait for my May bank statement to completely restore that.

2. My strong emotional reaction to the trip to Klamath Falls which made me kind of depressed.

3. Mom was so sick on Tuesday that I think we almost lost her. She was sick all day but didn't tell anyone at Chehalem Springs nor did she call me. The only reason I found out is that I went out to watch Dancing With The Stars with her and found her in the chair in her apartment. She had her dinner delivered which is unusual for her. Her blood pressure was out of sight. She wouldn't let me call 911, she just doesn't want to go to the hospital anymore. She would rather die at home. It makes it a hard balance for me do I call or not? I didn't but I did take measures to get her blood pressure down. Nitro, aspirin, relaxing techniques. Fortunately while I was there she got better. A lot better. It did make me face what life would be like without her.

4. I got a letter in the mail about a death of someone that shouldn't have affected me but did. When I first started the blog I made a post about an Internet date that I had that was awful. I didn't tell the full story. I was communicating with a lady from Florida for a couple of years, she was deaf so without a TTY I couldn't check her out by phone. She read lips. I paid for her to come out and visit in 2003. The second day here she had a heart attack. I saved her life. The kicker is that I found out she was married when the emergency room doctor gave me her husband's phone number and told me to call him. The doctor normally wouldn't do that but she was 3,000 miles from ham and I was her only contact. I did call the husband and he wouldn't come out so I ended up having to pay for a special flight back to Florida for her. Of course I stopped contact with her until early this year when I was doing some things on the computer and she imed me and said a couple of things that were bothersome, like she would always love me and she would like to establish contact again. I wasn't really rude but said no thank you and blocked her. This week I got a letter from her husband that she had a heart attack and died. For some reason that really bothered me. It also stunned me that the husband would feel free to contact me.

So there you have my week now on to Top Chef.

One of the blogs I go to regularly is http://satellitesistersblog.blogspot.com/ Sheila has a complete report on Top Chef and is pretty right on, look for a post: Sheila: I Love a Braised Short Rib.

Since all my readers are women while you are there you might want to visit their web site.

http://www.satellitesisters.com/index.html They are five real sisters and there is probably something there for each one of you. Julie the oldest does international news, Liz the next oldest is into the elections, Sheila the middle sister does mostly funny things like The Cozy Couch, Monica the next youngest does the music and a product testing with Sheila, and the youngest, Lian, is the mother of two teenage boys and reports on how busy she is with that.

I will give my Top Chef Report tomorrow.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh Bill - I am so sorry about your week. It seems sometimes in life we go through these emotional wringers for no good reason. I hope things continue to look up for you.

William J. said...

Kim

Thank you. Things are getting better and if I win the lottery before Dona does that could make a difference!

Bill

Mary said...

That does sound like an awful week. I'm glad it's over! Hugs to you, and I hope your mom continues to feel better.

Mary Z said...

What a bummer week! I hope your mom has improved onto an even stretch now.

Re the lady who died: Under NO circumstances is there anything in that situation for which you should feel guilt!!!! She manipulated you out of a bunch of money, and was trying to do it again. Don't waste any of your previous time, energy, or emotion on the situation.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I have had better weeks, lol. This weekend would is Mom and Dad's anniversary so I think that may have had something to do with it.
She is doing better. My nephew who fixes the best ribs invited her over tonight so that should help.

Thanks for the hugs.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary Z

Mom does seem better. I've been going out there for about an hour a day and getting to practice on the mobile wheel chair. She isn't at ease taking it yet but when she gets there it will open up avenues for her. We went over a mile with it yesterday and her she got more comfortable each step of the way.

The lady that died, my mind says I shouldn't feel bad about it but I guess my heart reminds me of the John Donne poem that has the words, "every man's death diminishes me."

Bill

Pat said...

You really did have a perfect storm of a week, didn't you! I'm sorry all that stuff hit you at once. A kinder universe would space things out.

I'm glad your mom rallied. And I think you made the right decision in listening to her wishes about whether to call 911. That's a very tough choice, but as long as a person is rational, I believe she should be able to choose for herself.

I'll side with Mary Z. on the lady from Florida. It's always startling to hear somebody you knew and even once liked/loved has died, but you certainly bear no guilt for anything that happened to her.

Just checked out the sisters' blog, and I see everybody agrees with me that Lisa Must Go.

SymplyAmused said...

Dang, sounds like you had a rough week! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope next week starts off with smiles for you. I hope your Mom recovers as well. Take care...

William J. said...

Pat

Yes spreading it out would have been great. Had a nice day today. My nephew-in-law (my favorite relative) fixed ribs for mom and I tonight. He is great and I love being at their house because they are so happily married and have two great kids. My life story is usually everything hits me at once. I'm getting over it.

Mom was mentally rational that is why I left the decision to her. I was really worried because of the chest pains and the 200/120 blood pressure. I got the blood pressure way down to normal within a few minutes with aspirin laying her down etc.

I don't really feel any quilt with the lady in Florida just disappointed in myself for being taken and then for being kind of rude the time she tried to im me.

Spike and Lisa both need to go. I don't like either one. Didn't like Dale either but thought he was a talented cook.

I like the sisters web page because there is so much there for women.

William J. said...

Hi Symply

Congrats on the new job and I hope your life gets easier.

Mom is doing better and I'm improving so things are getting better.

Thanks for the nice message.

Bill

dona said...

Hey Bill, So sorry you had a lousy week. Hopefully that will be the worst you have all year! I think you made the perfect choice with you mother. We all have our preferences when it comes to health care and I am sure if you saw the need to take it further you would still have done the right thing. About your lady friend...I think we all get down when someone we have known passes away, but sounds to me like(from your friends who know you better)its time for you to move on.

Now, as far as the lottery goes...........:)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

The week seems to be getting better.

It is such a fine balance with Mom when she is sick. I really want to call 911 but she say no so I don't. I guess one of my fears is I call and then she ends up kept alive by artificial means for a very long team which isn't her wish.

I really had moved on from the lady but it was quite a shock to get a letter from her husband. I mean it has been a long time, I must have been a topic of conversation between them.

Now the lottery, if I don't win I hope you do or maybe I can win one lottery and you can win the other.

Bill

dona said...

I thought too it was strange you getting a letter from her husband. What strange conversations they must have had. Or he is just a very thoughtful man...or just plain weird.

And as for the lottery....sounds good to me. If you win I will even split it with you...:)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Yes that is not the type of marriage I would look up to. The husband must have really loved her because I'm not sure that I could have taken a wife back afer she flew cross country to meet another man.

And I wouldn't let you share your lottery winnings with me because I would want to fulfill all your dreams and goals that a lottery win could do for you.