Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Tribute To Mothers

For My Mom

Thank you for not disowning me when at Kindergarten Bible School graduation the minister asked "What was the first thing that Noah did when he got off of the Ark?" and I answered "Get Drunk."

Thank you for teaching me that women are as good as and sometimes better than men.

Thank you for teaching me that the word acceptance is better than the word judgment.

Thanks for believing me and not the seventh grade teacher when the teacher told you that I was to stupid to learn. Thank you for forcing an IQ test the results of which ended up with me in the gifted program with a new teacher.

Thanks for teaching me that every living soul has good in them.

That you for teaching me that the heart of of a person means more than their sex, orientation, or color.

Thank you for teaching me one of life's greatest lessons. Put a bandaid on it, it will get better.

Thank you for not believing the doctor when he told you that your 18 year-old son wouldn't make it through the night.

Thanks for believing me and not the doctor when the doctor told you that your teenage son would be in a wheelchair all his life and I said I would walk without aid and did. We did it together.

Thank you for teaching me that if someone takes something from me that they needed it more than I did.

Thank you for all the chicken soup that seemed to cure everything.

Thank you for teaching me that my opinion mattered.

Thank you for listening to me, it taught me to listen to others.

Thank you for being liberated long before Women's lib and teaching me that I can be liberated too.

Thank you for standing behind me when I needed a little shove to get going.

Thank you for standing beside me when I need your support.

Thank you for standing ahead of me when I needed guidance.

Thank you for being you.

Thank you for making me the man I am today.

Thank you for being my Mom.

8 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

What a beautiful messsage to get from a son. Your mother is very blessed.

Mary Z said...

Does your mother ever read your blog? You really should see that she gets to read your Mother's Day gift to her.

Pat said...

That's lovely, Bill. Your mother must see it in some form, but of course you know that.

William J. said...

Bev

Thank you. I was blessed to have the parents that I had.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary Z

I gave it to her today in the form of a letter together with some private thoughts that with it.

She started crying. When a woman cries I am usually next. It was a very special moment.

Bill

William J. said...

Pat

I did give it to my Mom. Mom has had a great day so far. Sis and brother both called her. Two cousins that are like siblings to me called her. The caregiver that says Mom is more a mom to her then her own Mom called her. Then according to Mom the highlight of the day was my letter.

I went to a church service with Mom and then took her to brunch. Yesterday I went to a special buffet that they had at the place where she was staying.

So Mom has had a great weekend.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bill, what a wonderful tribute to your mother. Thank you for sharing it. I hope you gave her a copy.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I did give the letter to my Mom together with some private comments. She keeps the letter next to her table and has read it every day since Mothers' Day.

Bill