Saturday, May 24, 2008

Nice Day and Top Chef

Yesterday was a great day and what I needed at the time. So things are looking up and I am back on the path to abnormalcy. Gosh I don't know when I've had a worse week, maybe the week that dad died. But even then the emotions weren't as strong as they were the last few days. I loved my dad and he was a really good man but the last few years with dementia he just wasn't the man he was and when he moved on there was a certain amount of relief that buffered the sadness.

Yesterday I took Mom home to start cleaning out her house and shred a lot of her documents that she had that she needed to get rid of. We still have a ton of cleaning to do. I fixed lunch for the two of us. I cook sometimes and nobody has died as a result of my cooking yet. When we left we went over to my niece and nephew-in-law's for ribs. This is the niece that is the pharmacist. I love her husband, he is just one of these quiet unassuming guys that will always be there if you need him. He also cooks the best ribs! The two of them have two kids, Natalie, 6, and Carson,5, that are just the greatest kids. So well behaved and fun to be around. It was just the kind of evening Mom and I needed. Then when we got back to Chelam Springs they immediately basically kidnapped Mom and sent her to the bridge room to play bridge because they were one player short. Mine and her blood pressure are now back now to normal.

On to Top Chef. After almost quiting watching the show a few weeks back I am glad I stuck with it. The last four weeks have been outstanding. I loved the kids episode, the wedding wars, the protect and serve, and this week's restaurant wars. For those that don't watch the show what they did this week is to divide into two teams, take a vacant wharehouse, and start basically two restaurants. The team that does the best menu wins and one of the three member team gets a prize. The team that loses one of their team members goes home. Before going on to the restaurant wars they have a quickfire challenge. This time, the way up there chefs had to go to basically a greasy spoon and cook breakfast. One of the chefs, Lisa, actually burnt styrofoam. The winner of the Quckfire Challenge gets an advantage at the elimination challenge, the winner was Antonia. Because she won she got to pick her two teammates and picked the top two chefs, Richard and Stephanie. The other team was Dale and Lisa both nut cases and Spike a weird dude. Of course Richard, Stephanie, Antonia won, Dale, Lisa, and Spike lost. The losing team could have done better had they worked together but Dale and Lisa get along about as well as the Bobbits did. Dale is really one of the top four chefs but he was sent packing when Lisa probably should have gone. One of the reasons that I liked this week is Tom C the head judge wasn't there. I can't help but think that the fact that Stephanie won wasn't related to him not being there.

Looking forward to a nice day today. The brother of the pharmacist is coming up with his family to have lunch with Mom at Chehalem Springs. Greg his wife Angela, two of his children, Chelsie and Katie, and the exchange student from Italy that they have staying with them, Julie will all be there. It should make for a good day.

May this be a great day for all of you.

No comments: