Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another Sample Question and Two Amazing News Stories.

As of now eligible participants for the contest starting at 7 AM Pacific Daylight Time on June 15, 2009 right here on The Dahn Report are Dona, Pat, DR, and Kaye. In order to be an eligible participant for the “what do these three things have in common” contest you must post a message anywhere on The Dahn Report between now and when the contest starts. Yesterday’s sample question was “what do car tires, crops, and a roasting pig have in common?" They all are rotated. Between now and when the contest starts I will be posting sample questions for you to cut your teeth on. I won’t be posting sample questions everyday but once in a while there will be a question either at the beginning or end of the blog post. Today’s sample question? What do McDonald’s, St. Louis, and a foot have in common?

There were a couple of stories on the news last night that just had me shaking my head and asking the question, “how could people be that dumb?”. First up is a young couple playing a version of strip poker. They weren’t using a deck of cards, however, they were using rocks. Rocks thrown from an overpass down on to cars traveling on Interstate 5. Every time one of their rocks hit a car, a piece of clothing would be removed. In all before they were caught and arrested fourteen cars were hit and several people were injured. When caught the girl was down to her underwear. The two twenty year-olds are now facing several years in prison. They just didn’t think throwing rocks off of an overpass on to a moving car would hurt anyone. Doesn’t that just make you shake your head?

Another how dumb can they be story? A family got home from McDonalds. The youngest child’s happy meal didn’t have an orange juice in it. The oldest brother went back to the McDonalds who then refused to give the brother the missing orange juice or refund their money. So what did the twenty year-old brother do? He called 911. What did the McDonald’s employee do? Called 911. Who spent the night in jail? The oldest brother for making a non-emergency call to 911. There is so much wrong with this story that it just boggles the mind. Come on McDonalds have you ever heard the words “customer service”? How damn difficult would it have been and how costly would it have been to give the customer an orange juice? Come on oldest brother, just leave the damn store and don’t go back there. Maybe call the manager the next day. But to tie up 911? Even a twenty year-old shouldn’t be that stupid. What makes the story even more troubling is the family of the oldest brother doesn’t think he did anything wrong because the McDonald’s employee told him to call 911. And the family is still patronizing that particular McDonalds. Doesn’t that just make you shake your head?

What do you think of these two stories? Do the two love birds playing strip rocks deserve to spend several years in jail? Did the oldest brother deserve a night in jail and maybe even more time in jail if he is convicted of the crime of calling 911 for a non-emergency?

And last but not least what do McDonalds, The City of St. Louis, and Feet have in common?

12 comments:

Mary said...

Oooh, I know the answer to this one! Yay! Yesterday, I was scratching my head, trying to figure out if you meant crop circles. Heh!

Regarding the people throwing rocks off the overpass, that happened here, and I saw the young man being interviewed on tv. He is so dumb that he could barely string two words together, seriously. And all I could think was, he's going to have a bunch of kids and keep those genes in the gene pool. Ack. How could anyone think that throwing rocks at cars was a good idea, stripping or not?

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Hope you are enjoying your time off!

They also interviewed the girl here on local TV and she didn't appear much smarter than he was. God help of us if they have kids.

Bill

Pat said...

Absolutely the two idiots throwing rocks at cars should spend time in prison. They're just lucky they didn't cause a fatal accident and face life w/o parole.

I suppose a night in jail isn't too much for a bogus 911 call. The McD's employee should join him there for not simply giving him an orange juice.

People's stupidity knows no bounds!

Including mine. Your question had me totally stumped for a while. Then, as I got up from the computer, I had an "aha" moment and emailed you the answer.

I've spent the morning waiting for a callback from a doctor, since my mother injured a toe last night and I need to find out if it's broken and whether the taping we've done is the right treatment. Now it turns out he's out of the office until Monday. They could have mentioned that at 9 a.m. I'm going to try to get her to the Urgent Care place, but I'll need help getting her out of the car and into the wheelchair when I get there, so I hope that'll be available. Maybe if I wait until shift-change time, one of the outgoing people will go with and lend me a hand. There's somebody there who does this, of course, but she's tied up with other residents today and has an out of town funeral tomorrow. Good thing mom is not in pain as long as nobody wiggles her toe!

Mary Z said...

I know, I know.

redwhistle said...

one more thing to stretch my brain - just sent you an email with my answer.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

How awful about you mom. Damn wish I was in the LA area and I would help you get your mom to the doctor. Please do let us know if you got your mom to the doctor and if her toe was broken!

It is amazing that nobody was killed in the rock throwing. Like Mary said these two people are mentally brilliant.

And you got the question right!

Bill

William J. said...

Hello Mary Z

Welcome to the contest and you did get it right!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Red

Welcome to the fray. And you also got it right!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Geez, Bill, as to the two stories you posted, there was a comedian whose routine included the lament, "You can't fix stupid." The more I hear and see, the more I believe him! Yes, I think the young couple deseve to pay for what they did, especially considereing there were injuries involved. They're darned lucky they're "game" didn't result in deaths. As to the McD thing -- what a fiasco. Yeah, the kid probably deserved a night in jail, but what about the McD employee who encouraged hime to call 911? Isn't that a bit over the top? And, yes, customer service would be better served to just give him the juice. OTOH, I've had orders screwed up and it just didn't seem worth the effort to drive back and pitch a fit, let alone call 911. Didn't they have anything else in the house for the little one to drink?

Pat, did you get your mom's issue resolved? The only treatment I know of for a broken toe (and I've had more than my share, from big to little) is taping toes together and pampering the injured foot. If she's not in pain, unless she tries to move it, you may be as well served to wait for the doc as to try to get her to Urgent Care, given the logestics!

Pat said...

Update: In the end, I'm glad I took mom to the urgent care place. They did some x-rays, determined it was dislocated, shot her foot with some novocaine, which she didn't enjoy at all, and put it back into place, which didn't hurt her. We need to keep it "buddy taped" to the next toe for a while, but all in all, it was a good result.

I had help getting her in the car to go, and a very nice and very big man at the urgent care place got her out for me and put her back in when we were finished. And as a bonus, her new insurance paid for it. I was afraid they might not, since we weren't referred there by anyone, but they checked it out and came back with "Your co-pay is... zero dollars".

When we got back to the place, we found a cover to go over her bed railings so she can't get her foot stuck in there again.

So all's well that ends well. Whew!

William J. said...

Hi DR

Good call on the comedian and you can't fix stupid!

Those two lovebirds are really lucky they didn't kill someone. It would have changed so many lives.

I'm with you, I wouldn't have driven back either, it just wouldn't have been worth it to me. I just wouldn't have gone back as a customer anymore.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the update. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was worried about you and your mom!

Also glad that you had help getting her in and out of the car.

Glad things are as good as can be expected under the circumstances.

Bill