Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reality Bites, I'm Weird

While I am waiting for the contest deadline to expire in a little over six hours I just thouht I would post a fews tidbits.

I hope everyone is having a much fun with the trivia contest as I am. Some of you that thought you wouldn't get any right did pretty well. It has been fun.

Now on to reality TV and this year it really has not matched up to my expectations. The wrong cook won Top Chef. The wrong team won The Amazing Race. The wrong person won The Apprentice. And last night the worse of the thre three remaining couples, in my humble opinion, won Dancing With The Stars. Shawn Johnson won. I was hoping for Mellisa Rycoff. Gilles was definitely the best dancer so I would have been fine with him winning. I wanted Mellissa to win because it would have been the ultimate revenge for the doofus first accepting her and then rejecting her on national TV. Nope didn't happen. Shawn Johnson, Olympic gymnist, has been overscored all season by the judges on Dancing With The Stars. She was Monday Night too. She got a perfect score because they didn't expect her to do so well. Rycoff got a lesser score because they expected her to do better. My problem with the scoring system on Dancing With The Stars is that they don't judge the dancers against each other, they judge the dancers against themselves. Someone that gets high scores early on, on Dancing With The Stars is really at a disadavantage if they make the finals because they will be held to a higher standard than the ones that score low early on. OK, enough with the rant.

Yesterday I had a realaization that my family might be right. I'm weird. My family has often referred to me as being off center. So much so that I use offcenteralittle as a screen name on some sites that I go to. They always say I listen to the beat of a different drummer. OK, yesterday I am cleaning house. When I clean, I really clean. Light switches, fridge, microwave, toothbrushes, containers and so on. I have the downstairs of my townhouse totally clean. Today it is the upstairs. While I was cleaning the downstairs there was a moment where I just stopped and looked down at what I had in my hand. I was cleaining the bar of soap that was in the bathroom. Now that is weird. I clean I even clean soap.

Later in the afternoon I also discovered that I am a little obsessive with some things. While shopping it came on over the store P.A. system "John, can you check, please?" Now a normal person would have just not noticed. I noticed. Starting talking to myself, "it isn't "John can you check, please." damn it, it is "John will you check, please."

Are you weird? Do you embrace you weirdness? What are your obsessions?

8 comments:

Pat said...

I totally agree with you about DWTS. I think it's all the stupid audience voting that brings us these annoying outcomes. I'd have been happy with either Gilles or Melissa as the winner, but I was so bummed last night that I swore I'd never watch the !@#$% show again. In fact, I didn't watch it last night, either. I taped it and only watched the actual dancing plus the result. So there, DWTS!

It didn't help my mood that my cable modem was out and I couldn't get online at all yesterday or last night. I really feel cut off from the world when that happens. I was bummed about missing the trivia quiz, but looking at it today, it's just as well, since I knew almost none of the answers until the last group of easy ones.

You clean SOAP? Now that is truly weird! [g] As to your questions, well of course I think I'm weird, and mostly I embrace my weirdness, but sometimes I hide it. Depends on the company, I suppose. I don't think I have any actual obsessions. Certainly none about cleaning house. I think sometimes I value my alone time to a slightly obsessive degree.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am glad to see you here, in a weird way I am happy that it was only your server down because I was worried you missed the contest because of something going on with your mother.

I think what they ought to do on DWTS is not score the dancers right after their dance. Let all the participants dance and then have all come back for the judge's scores. That way the judges would be judging the dancers against each other instead of themselves.

I'm glad you are weird and embrace it!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Sorry you were disappointed with the outcome. Mom was ambivilant, sort of hoping Shawn might win, since she was so young and improved a great deal. Once she learned Melissa had been a cheerleader for the Dallas Cowboys, she decided she had an "unfair" advantage. Go figure.

Well, of course I'm weird and you're weird and Pat's weird. Technically, it's an adjective that denotes mysterious (I think this is good) or starnge or bizarre. All of which are subjective calls and mean only that we don't meet the weird expectations or practices of others. Okay, I'll admit washing soap is a bit questionable, but if it was used when your hands were dirty from yard work, maybe it needed a bit of cleaning up. (Which is why we use liquid soap, rather than bars (g)).

Like Pat, I embrace my weirdness, because it works for me. Most of my family think I'm weird because of my "thing" with clutter. I want stuff in its place and I want clutter controlled in baskets or the like. If it's in a covered basket or behind a closet door, all the better. I want stuff organized and I want to know where it is and I don't want 250 items that need dusting. Being obsessive about cleaning comes in spurts. I vacuum weekly, scrub counters and bathroom, dust when needed. However, periodically, I want things thoroughly scoured, windows washed, walls wiped down, curtains vacuumed, plant leaves wiped down or given a bath. And, when I get into a sort/pitch/organize or toss mood, it's Sadie Bar the Door and All Bets Are Off.

So, yeah, I can be compulsive/
obsessive at certain times and some things that are important to me are considered weird by my family (although not friends, interestingly enough, which brings me back to weird is subjective and based on what others consider "normal.") Which brings us back to a different drummer and who's to decide which drummer is right? A rock drummer considers a jazz drummer weird and vice versa, no?

As to "can" and "will," mix in "may," and it gets really annoying. "Can I help you?" I understand, because the person may not be sure. But, "Can I walk you home?" is a "may," unless the person thinks he/she is physically incapable of doing so, for example. "Can I ask your name?" well... since you're capable of speech, of course you can, Whether or not you may depends on my agreement.

The other one is "I'd like to..." as they go on to do whatever it is they'd like to do. "I'd like to wish you a happy birthday." Well, okay, just do it! If they're not going to go ahead and do it, then ask, "May I wish you a happy birthday."

Oh, hon, you really shouldn't have gotten me started on these questions and issues!

Kaye R said...

[ahem] ... the wrong person won the Apprentice?? [glare]

I echo the thoughts on DWTS. Pat, you must have missed the comedian who did the "roast" of the 3 finalists. Wow, he spit out a few nasty zingers. Most of the audience did not laugh.

OMG, Bill... you've been watching me, haven't you? [scurrying about looking for hidden web cams]. I don't keep bar soap in the house.... because I CLEAN IT! Mother has bar soap in her guest bath; it drives me nuts! lol

So, which is worse... obsessive/compulsive or anal retentive? And is one totally doomed if they're both?

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent. I read up on ya'll on occasion, but I haven't been posting.

Hugs to all!
Kaye

Pat said...

Hi, Kaye. I saw just a little of the comedian "roasting" the contestants, and I thought him unfunny and in the case of Gilles, completely tasteless. I surfed over there during a commercial, so only saw about a minute and a half and that was quite enough.

Er, yes, the wrong person won Apprentice. Joan Rivers was a total witch throughout and her daughter was worse. IMO. She got it because she's the oldest and the most famous and Donald Trump is a jerk. Sorry if you were rooting for her. Just my opinion there.

Nice to see you back, in any case. Different strokes, and all that. {smile}

William J. said...

Hi DR

The unfair advantage thing because someone has previous dance experience comes up every season on Dancing With The Stars. But ballroom is different than cheerleading.

Strange - check, bizarre - somtimes - mysterious - usually.
OK I'm officially weird.

I think obsessively neat isn't really all that weird, I think it is kind of charming, actually.

Oh wow with May in there I'd be really talking to myself.

Oh and I'd like to drives me nuts too. Especially in speech. Which I'm going to tell you about this and that, quit wasting valuable time and just tell me for heaven sake.

Bill

William J. said...

Hello There Kaye

Nice to see you post again even if the wrong person won The Apprentice.

I wanted to slap Jeffrey Ross, the comedian, for his rudeness. I was especially upset with him when he said to Melissa "Wouldn't it be ironic if you finished second here too?"

Yea, I found someone else that cleans soap!

I'm bot anal retentive and ocd so I don't think we are doomed!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I really did think Joan was mean but a lot of people thought Annie was a backstabbing witch. Sort of like choosing between Leona Helmsley and Lorrena Bobbitt. I chose Annie because she is from Portland.

Bill