Thursday, May 7, 2009

Transformation Through Music: Susan Boyle & Playing For Change.

"As a human race we come together for birth, we come together for death. What brings us together in between is up to us. Stop and listen to the universal language of music and bring that positive energy with you everywhere you go." Mark Johnson.

The world loves Susan Boyle and the world is Playing for Change.

For those that have been living in a cave or leading a sheltered life and don't know who Susan Boyle is, she was a contestant on the British version of The American Idol, Britain's Got Talent. This video at youtube.com has almost fifty three million views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY. If you haven't seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to take the seven minutes required to watch it. It is the ultimate don't judge a book by its cover. I refuse to say Susan is ugly because I truly believe there is no such thing as an ugly woman. Every living woman has something beautiful about them. Maybe their eyes, their mind, their hair, their figure, their personality, their compassion, their sincerity, their ability to love, their ability to teach, their ability to learn, maybe an amazing talent, or numerous other things that I would classify as beautiful. I am going to describe Susan as not your typical looking reality singing star. I love this video because it is about two of my favorite things, going out of your comfort zone and transformation. Susan goes outside of her comfort zone. She doesn't transform herself but when she begins singing the voice of an angel transforms the audience and the judges from fun making skeptical judgmental folks into fans. Not only into fans but fans that begin questioning why they were thinking how terrible she would be because of her looks. I'm now a fan of Susan Boyle.

Speaking of transformation through music. This morning I was channel surfing while having my morning coffee and came across an amazing story on MSNBC. And another touching video. Imagine a man walking down the streets of Santa Monica, California when he hears someone a block away singing "Stand By Me." He quickly goes over to hear African-American Singer, Rodger Ridley, finish his performance. Inspired by that performance the man that was quoted at the start of this Blog entry, Mark Johnson, went on a mission that lasted four years and took him to all parts of the world. Recording street musicians from New Orleans to the Congo, he and his partner, Enzo Buono, pieced together an amazing version of "Stand By Me." You can listen to this amazing version at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM. If you like this video then check out playingforchange.com. Connection through music. Peace through music. You can also buy both the video and audio version of several songs by these musicians from Starbucks for $12.95. Some may think it is weird that I connect this video with Susan Boyle's video. Not me. Because both videos are about transformation. And the transformation isn't on the part of the performer but it is on the part of the listener. The voice of Rodger Ridley transformed Mark Johnson from the streets of Santa Monica, California to a trip around the world looking for peace and connection through music.

I really try very hard to give credit to people when credit is due. After listening to Rodger Ridley sing "Stand By Me" I remembered that this wasn't the first time I heard the video. The first time I heard the video was from http://satellitesistersblog.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html on December 17. Sister Sheila certainly deserves the credit for being way ahead of the curve on this video. You can also hear this video on their blog at the aforementioned link.

Any transformations on your part lately? Have you ever been so touched by music that you were transformed? What kind of music touches your soul? What kind of music do you like?

10 comments:

Pat said...

I love, love, love that Susan Boyle clip. Don't know what's happening with her now, and I wish we could see Britain's Got Talent here, just to follow her progress.

Thanks for posting the "Stand By Me" link. That's a very nice job of editing and music mixing, with recording done under less than studio conditions. If I were to nitpick, which I can't resist, I'd like to hear more of the percussion instruments, but it's really generally excellent for what it is.

I haven't had any transformations lately, but I've had quite a few in the past, too numerous to mention. Most were a few very special opera performances. I like all kinds of music, but tend toward "serious" music, with opera and choral music at the top of the list, and a few special Broadway shows and movie scores in there as well. I hear pop music that I like, but don't follow it, so am more or less a dunce when it comes to pop and pop singers. Rap? It isn't music. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would love to know what Susan Boyle is up to now. Maybe some day there will be an update.

As to Stand By Me would I love about that video is the idea of it. The idea that people all over the world are singing the same song and are standing by each other than shooting at each other. I think you are right that it would have been better if there were more percussion instruments but I kind of thought that since they were doing street musicians it would be more difficult to find street musicians playing percussions than the normal guitars, harmonicas, and washboards.

I also do not think Rap is music. I tend to like all types of music depending on different things.

Bill

dona said...

I agree I love Susan Boyle. I wish too we could follow the progress.
I think they are just focusing so much on her looks. But that is what they do so much. I think its terrible when a person is so talented, and they just seem to focus on their appearance.

I really like most music. I tend to always go back to what I was listening to when I was younger. Rock, Pop, Classical, really anything, But county music was a big part of my life as my dad was in a country music band with several of my uncles and we would go almost each weekend somewhere and they would play if not at a place where others came and watched just at the park or each others homes.
So I can listen to just about anything....except RAP. I cannot stand Rap. Surely thought it would be gone by now...

William J. said...

Hi Dona

That makes three of us that think Rap stinks.

And Susan Boyle, they should be focusing on her amazing talent instead of her looks. She is so pure, that what is makes her so enchanting to us.

I listened to pop when I was young. And songs like "You Are My Sunshine" or "She'll Becoming Around The Mountain" that dad used to sing to us. I'm slowly acquiring a taste for country music.

Bill

Pat said...

Hi, Bill,

I wasn't saying they needed more percussion, just to be able to hear them when they were on screen. It's a mixing thing. But the idea is really cool, street performers all over the world doing the same thing. Note that the guitar carried on throughout, so they were basically listening to a playback of it while they were singing live. Everybody after the first guy had headsets on. Sorry, can't help noticing stuff like that. Whatever, it's a very cool video, and nicely done.

I didn't mention country because I don't hear it very often, but I even like that sometimes. Nobody here seems to be a rap or hip-hop fan, so I guess I didn't ruffle any feathers.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You can never ruffle feathers with rap! In fact you can never ruffle feathers anytime here. You are entitled to your opinion and we don't require that it is the same as ours.

I did notice the guitar all the way through but I wasn't sure if it was the Santa Monica's guy's guitar or the New Orlean's guy's guitar. I did really notice the harmonica about 2/3 into and was curious where that came from.

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, re the harmonica. There's a guy playing it. He has it on a stand, so he's not holding it to his mouth. I think he was playing a guitar or something at the same time. Multitasking. [g] I loved having the Russian guy play a cello.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I played it again and thanks to you I found the guy playing the harmonica.

Bill

redwhistle said...

Susan Boyle is on the Oprah show Monday along with Simon Cowell. I heard a '60s remake of"Will you still love me tomorrow" originally recorded by the Shirrell's (sp?) redone into Rap and I actually liked it. I like ALL music. 'Thot you'd get a push mower Bill like I do. I mow my front and rear yards with it!

William J. said...

Hi Red

Good to see you.

I will have to watch the Oprah show on Monday. I'd like to hear what she is up to know.

I'm not sure I could like any rap but if I hear that version of the song you mentioned I will stop to listen to it.

And I was going to buy a push mower but those words "baby steps" just kept coming back to haunt me.

Bill