Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Vent.

Yesterday’s answer was an easy one that everyone got. The names all had names of cities in them. Let’s try a little bit of a harder one today. A ball, a fish, a cold. What do those three things have in common? The words all being four letter words is not the answer.

Yesterday I got tired of something. So this is Bill vents day. I’m tired of being hit up for donations everywhere I go. Safeway. Wendy’s. Doesn’t matter. At the checkout stand at Safeway when they check you out the question is “would you like to donate a dollar to the, insert name of charity here? And if you don’t you are going to look like a cheapskate to this long line behind you at the check stand.” Then you go to Wendy’s in the drive up window to get chili for your mom and her caregiver so they don’t have to cook dinner that night, when they tell you the cost of the order the additional question is “would you like to donate a dollar to, insert the name of the charity here.” What I want to say to them is “what I would really like to do is to be able to do normal daily errands without being guilted into donating money every where I go.”

Look I believe in charity. I’ve won awards for donating my time to several different charity organizations including abused women shelters, children hospitals and cancer research. I’ve given money willingly to several different charity organizations. I’ve done it from the heart. I do it as often as I can afford. Can’t I just have some peace when I grocery shop or go to a restaurant?

I mean what happens if you are in line and behind you is this attractive woman smiling at you. Oops. That never happens to me. What if you are desperate and this woman old enough to be your grandmother is behind you in line smiling and winking at you? That smile is going away if you refuse to donate a dollar to breast cancer research. And it isn’t just a dollar because it happens every damn time you go to the store. Being responsible for the grocery shopping for two households and with a mother that often leaves items off of her grocery list (staples like milk and bread) that is several trips a week to the store.

So come on retailers and restaurants! Let me shop in peace. Let me order off of the value menu in peace. Let me choose what charity I want to give to. Let me choose when I am going to give to that charity. Let me choose how much I give to that charity. Instead of embarrassing me every time I am paying for my order put a sign on your door “we believe in charity but we appreciate your right to shop in peace and not be embarrassed when you checkout. So we won’t ask you for your hard earned money. However, if you want to donate to our favorite charitable organization please tell the checker when you are at the check stand before he or she rings up your order.” That I could live with. End of vent.

Where do you land on this issue? Do you mind the plea for donations when you are shopping?

17 comments:

Mary Z said...

Doesn't bother me. I just say no and go on about my business.

What really frosts me is when the checker at the store, as I leave, tells me to "Have a blessed day". In my book, that's proselyting, and THAT offends me.

Gee, does that count as a "vent"?

Pat said...

Mary Z, that counts as a tiny vent. {g} It's something I haven't encountered, but I would find it annoying, too.

Bill, I'm with you 100% or more, if there could be more. I just say no and don't worry about who might be listening. I suppose I could explain how I prefer to give... by check so I have a record for taxes... but I don't bother.

What annoys me more than being asked for a dollar more when checking out is the people that accost you outside the market. I always say no to them, too. I'm always tempted to explain that there's no way to know who they really are or how their organization, if there really is an organization, spends its donation money. But I'm sure that would result in protestations about how wonderful their charity is, and my arguing that I can't know that from what they tell me, etc., etc. So I just say no or wimp out and say not today.

Mary said...

I just say no thank you and don't give it another thought. I don't pay any attention to whether the people in front of me donate or not -- I'm too busy seething because they couldn't be bothered to pull out their checkbook and start filling out the check until they heard the total. Heh. I suspect nobody but the cashier even notices if you give or not, and I guarantee the cashier hates asking the question as much as you hate being asked it.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I count it as a vent! And I don't like it either.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I sometimes just say no too but I just wish they wouldn't ask in the first place.

We don't have the accoust you outside the market very much, unless they are selling something, like Girl Scout cookies. I can live with that as long as it isn't every day.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I think the next time I'll turn to the person behind me in line and say, don't you hate it when they hit you up for donations?

I hate the checkbook thing too! Have the name filled out at least for goodness sake.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Looks like none of us really appreciate the donation seekers at checkout. Mary Z, having now spent nine years in Baptist Country, where everyone from the doctor's nurse to the checkout lady say, "Have a blessed day," I simply respond, "You, too." I think it's part of the legal goodbye around here.

As to the donations, they're everywhere. At least at the bank, they just have the little cards there for you to put your first name and give a donation and nobody says anything. If all the stores did that, I wouldn't mind. I like that about Bilo (our grocery). The opportunity is there, but no one asks the question. And I usually do buy the $5 food bags, during their quarterly drives, because I know it goes to the local food pantry. Maybe the South is more subtle? Otherwise, like the rest of you, my donations are made by check and to organizations I know are local and I've checked on, in terms of how much goes to admin and how much really goes to help. Oh, and yes, we do have those outside the malls and I generally respond, "No thank you," with a smile.

Mary, I agree on the checks. You can write the name of the store and sign your name, while waiting in line, and just fill in the amount and save everyone behind you a lot of time!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think Mary Z may live in Baptist Country.

I could go for the cards. That would give me the choice or not whether I wanted to be bothered with it.

Bill

Pat said...

I used to like those cards, too. You could just add one to your groceries and they'd include your donation in the total, with no requests/denials exchanged. Plus you had a record of having donated. They don't seem to have those here any more.

I despise those slow checkbook people, too. And I used to curse my luck when I got behind somebody with a million coupons. Now it's not so bad, because they just scan them, so if they've gotten the right products, it doesn't take much extra time.

I don't mind the Girl Scout cookie sales, but we get lots more collecting for "the homeless". Who are they? I have no idea. Today it was a guy wanting money for his basketball team. Sigh.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Looks like we all depise the slow check people.

I wouldn't donate to a homeless organization collecting in front of a store on your life.


Bill

Bev Sykes said...

I have less trouble with the checkers asking if I want to donate than I have with people blocking your entrance or exit to a store trying to get you to donate, sign a petition or whatever. The fact that they have to be XX feet from the door doesn't help.

I'm with you--I just want to live my life in peace and donate to the causes that I support!

William J. said...

By the way everyone, so far only one person has got the answer to what do fish, a cold, and a ball have in common. Think of an activity.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I hate the blocking the door thing and have actually not parked the car and driven to another store if I see the door to the store being blocked.

Bill

William J. said...

Now two people have correctly answered the question!

Bill

Mary Z said...

Lady DR, I live in TN - definitely in the Bible belt. You're in NC, right?

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

DR is in the other Carolina.

Bill

Lady DR said...

As Bill said, I'm in SC, although we're only about 27miles from the NC border and an hour from Ashville.