Friday, May 8, 2009

The Day Is Here

The one day of the week when the blog writes itself. Why? Because it is your day! Update Day. The day when you tell me what is going on in your life. Your joys. Your concerns. Your plans. Want to tell us how your elderly parent is doing? Go ahead. Any questions you have of me or the other people here? Ask them. Need to vent? Venting is good for the soul, get it off your chest and give us a good vent. Anything on your mind? We have no rules today. Doesn't matter what the subject is today, if you got something that you need to talk about give it a go here. And this is a great group that is both accepting and nonjudgmental when we get the chance so if you have been reading the blog for a while and want some new friends please introduce yourself. Or if you are just new to the blog we would love to meet you.

Been a good week, not as busy as normal but good. Three days, two nights at Mom's. A couple of meals out for Mom and I. I really think it is important to get the elderly parent out once in a while so they can interact with others. Did grocery shopping for two households. Did my budget. Scheduled my education. Set up my trust. Now this week re-doing my will is on schedule. And last week there was the biggie. I mowed my lawn. Now that may not seem all the big to you but I have to tell you that sometimes being ecologically sound is a pain in the rump. I bought an electric lawnmower instead of a gas one to save on fuel. Electric mowers are great if you regularly mow your lawn and the grass isn't to tall. However, when the grass is tall enough to hide the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and three basketball teams with all players over seven feet the electric mower doesn't really work that well. You have to stop every few seconds turn the lawnmower over and clean all the grass off of the blades. When I first started mowing my backyard Harry Truman was president. I did finish it yesterday. Whew what an accomplishment. The good thing is that I didn't find any dead bodies hiding amongst the grass. The bad thing is there were no wild women hiding in there either. The other good thing is that the lawn looks really nice. And one more good thing is that now that the grass is cut being ecologically sound won't be so painful. Next up for this guy that usually gets dirty doing household chores because the ink from the yellow pages rubs off is to tackle all the weeds taking up residence in my yard.

Next week? Two days, one night at Mom's. A business meeting. Began the process of transferring the title of everything I have to the name of my trust. Basically that is two things, the house and the car. Oregon is now requiring a lot more information to either get a driver's license or to change title on your car. They want a birth certificate. Fortunately, I found mine. I can now prove that I was born. Then I have get to the new will notarized. The reason for the change in the will? It is being changed to what they call a pour over will, where you leave everything to your trust. Then I have to make a list of everyone to contact if something happens to me. Next a list of my passwords to various sites, my bank account numbers, where to get into my bookkeeping file, how to get into the blog, review my advance directive, and so on. Then send a copy of everything to my sister and brother. I've been putting this off for a couple of years now. It is really difficult to think of these things but from my years in business I've come to know how important it is to make things easier for people you leave behind if something happens to you. You just never know what will happen or when it will happen.

I do need to ask for more prayers, vibes, and good thoughts. A friend from another Internet group is undergoing cancer surgery on May 12. Please send whatever you can muster her direction. I know they would be appreciated.

OK, the blog is now yours. Tell me everything. I want to know all about your lives. I also want to know if you are making arrangements for the day you leave this world? To difficult to think about?

8 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Things are a little weird around here right now. Walt went to Santa Barbara to help move his mother from the convalescent hospital back to her assisted living apartment, and to stay with her 24/7, keeping a diary of everything that happens so they have an idea of how much care she is going to need.

But things got complicated by the Santa Barbara fire. They had a reverse 911 call last night at 1 a.m. letting them know they might have to evacuate the facility. If they evacuate, they have to take her to the gym at UC Santa Barbara rather than to her daughter's house because of the medical care she needs.

So we're in a sit and wait mode at present. At least Walt is there. I'm just sitting at home being part of the pack of dogs I live with.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

Gosh those fires sound awful. I'm hoping and praying that they don't have to move your Mom to the gym. I am really hoping the fire gets under control before it impacts Walt or his mother.

Please know we are all thinking about you and keep us updated!

Bill

Pat said...

Bev, fingers crossed that Walt and his mom won't have to evacuate!

Am already sending lots of good thoughts & vibes to J, who's having surgery on the 12th.

Bill, funny post about the lawn mowing. Sorry you didn't find any wild women in there.

I do have a living trust, and what's not in there has my daughter as either beneficiary or joint owner. I should probably look it over, and I do intend to change my will as to what happens if my daughter can't inherit. I probably put it off because I don't even want to think about that possibility.

I just got back from a volunteer appreciation luncheon where they made a lot of speeches, took a lot of pictures, fed us, and gave us tote bags to add to the huge collection of tote bags most of us already have. We also got to take home the centerpieces, little potted seedlings. I wanted the onion but wasn't quick enough, so I got a cayenne pepper and a bell pepper plant.

Nothing else much new around here, except minor problems filling Rxs for my mom and for me. Just holdups of different kinds. Annoying but not horrible. The only other thing falls under the category of gossip. I think one staff member at my mom's facility got fired, but won't know for sure until I visit tonight. I liked her fine, but other staff members reportedly had issues. I feel like one of the family there these days, so want to know all the scoop. Nosy, nosy!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I do think it is good to periodically look over the trust agreement and the advance directive if you have one.

I'm glad that they had a luncheon in the volunteers' honor. As much work as you do with the election and the library you definitely not only deserve the honor but the onion centerpiece as well. It is kind of annoying that someone beat you to it.

Sorry about the minor problems you are hiving with the RX refills. If little problems can turn into big ones with so much going on.

I'm sorry the staff member got fired. Be interesting to see if the rumor is true and what the reason was for the firing. That isn't being nosy, that is caring about the facility where your mom is!

Bill

Pat said...

Well, first, refill Rx problems have been resolved. For now.

Second, it's as well I didn't get the poor onion, as I have a black thumb and would probably have killed it. I'll probably kill the peppers I did get.

Don't count the election in volunteer work -- I got paid for that. {g}

The staff member did get fired. Apparently there were complaints from both staff and residents. My impression was that when she was on, she was very good, but sometimes her mind was elsewhere and she rushed through things. She did have, apparently, a tendency to be bossy, and the place works best when everybody's on the team and work is shared equally. So I'm sorry she lost her job, and I hope she finds another right away, but I can sort of see their point in letting her go. The ones that were around when I visited last night seemed happier and more relaxed. The one resident that I know complained was a little worried that she'd get the blame, but it doesn't much matter because she's gone now.

In a way, it's hard for me to gauge these things, because of course everybody is very nice to me. I'm the client, and when I'm there, it removes one responsibility from them for a couple of hours. Once in a while, I hear a complaint directly, but mostly, I only overhear things. {g} They'll usually tell me things if I ask, as long as I'm circumspect about it, and I'm sure they know by now that I don't run and tattle anything to management.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Glad the RX problems are fixed. Am now glad you didn't get the onion.
I've worked an election one year I know what they pay you, it is so low that in my mind it is still volunteer work.

Sorry about the staff member. In that kind of place having her mind on other things actually could be deadly or injure someone. Falls, etc. To me that would be reason enough to fire her.

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

Just came across this link

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/caring-for-a-difficult-older-adult.html

which I thought some people might find helpful, given how many of us are in the position of caring for our parents.

William J. said...

Thanks, Bev

That is a really great link!


Bill