Friday, May 29, 2009

It's Your Day

Sorry, No Sample question today. St. Louis, McDonalds, and a foot all have arches.

As of now eligible participants for the contest starting at 7 AM Pacific Daylight Time on June 15, 2009 right here on The Dahn Report are Dona, Pat, DR, Kaye, Mary, Mary Z, and Redwhistle. In order to be an eligible participant for the “what do these three things have in common” contest you must post a message anywhere on The Dahn Report between now and when the contest starts.

As for today. You know the drill. It is update day. I want to know about everything going on in your life. The pains. The joys. The concerns. The questions. The events you either attended recently or are going to attend. How are you elderly parents doing? How are you children doing? Want to post a nice little message about your spouse because they have been so supportive of you? Go ahead. Want to vent about the health care system, they way customer service is no longer anywhere to be found, aches and pains, or just because you think a you need a goot event and it would be healthy for you to get it all out. Go right ahead. Want to bring some excitement into my life and the blog? Tell me a secret that would curl my hair. Or if you haven't posting lately, just stop by and say hi. If you have never posted come on and introduce yourself!

My week has been mostly cleaning. I'm getting there. I've thrown out tons of stuff. Given tons of stuff to Goodwill. Found some things that would be really great gifts. If you remember I confessed at one time that I collected music boxes. I found two muiscal jewelry boxes, one plays "love story" and one plays "raindrops". I had wondered what happened to those two music boxes. That makes about thirty music boxes that I still have.

Besides cleaning there was one church service, one hot dog barbecue on Memorial Day, one night at mom's, dinner at Rose's with sister, brother-in-law, and Mom, one lunch out with mom, a couple of cooked meals for mom, grocery shopping for two households, a dramatic and touching contact with an old friend, still a lot of hugging from waitresses/ grocery clerks and this week I did a lot of thinking. Sometimes when I think, I do it so rarely, that it causes headaches. I hope to keep thinking so my mind becomes used to me it.

One of the things I've been thinking about is writing. One of the things I found in the great garage clean out of 2009 is a computer program called "Writer's Tool Kit".
I had bought about a year ago and then forgot about it. I've loaded it on one of my two computers and it really looks like it will be quite helpful to my writing project.

That is my week. The blog is now yours. Tell me everything. Post about anything you darn well please. Would love to hear from all of you.

6 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

What's going on with me? I'm just busy getting ready for our trip next month, worrying about traveling without Walt's unerring sense of direction.

Also doing a lot of reviewing. Did "The Complete History of America (abridged)" yesterday--very funny. Tonight is Lion King. It's the 4th time I'll have seen it and I would give anything not to have to go. Borrrring!!!

Pat said...

I don't have anything to update, having already reported on mom's dislocated toe. That Urgent Care Center was great, and SO much better than going to the ER! It's the first time I've used them, but I'll sure do it again if anything else comes up that they'd handle.

I could vent about all sorts of things, chief among which at the moment is how hard it is to convince banks that you need to get your name on an elderly relative's account. I thought we had that all settled, but Chase (formerly WaMu) is being hard to deal with. It's not an emergency, and will all be worked out somehow, but it's extremely annoying.

Note to anyone with parents approaching incapacity: Do NOT rely on having a Power of Attorney. So far, that is worth exactly the value of the paper it's printed on. The P of A for Healthcare has never been challenged, but the one for financial affairs is worthless.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

You will do just fine without Walt's sense of direction. Just remember the world is round and you will eventually get to where you going.

And I read your blog entry about the play, I'm glad you made it through without to many complications!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with re elderly parents and not only them but single people like you and I have should have a second signer on our bank accounta!

Hope your mom's toe is improving.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Doesn't sound like you're getting much of a break with Sis here, Bill, given all the meals and grocery shopping and such. Good job on the contiuing clean-out and nice to find the music boxes and writing program.

Pat, I'm so glad to know all is well with your mom. Very good point about getting oneself on all accounts while the parent is still able to do that.

Bev, what trip? Going where?

It's been two weeks and it's been mostly Mom time, except the couple days I took just to get over the cold. Otherwise, it's been errands, grocery shopping, Hallmark shopping, getting Mom's labs done and a doctor app't. Big project was basically "sanitizing" her bedroom - getting all the linens washed from mattress pad up to comforter and getting the allergen cases on everything, removing all the knick-knacks and stuffed toys, for cleaning/
freezing and ready for packing. Trying to remove the allergens to which she reacted in testing is a bit of a challenge (wry s). Talked to Lori about not renewing lease. This means they may bump Mom's rent, but since her target move date is Aug 1, that's cheaper than signing a lease and paying a BIG termination fee. Afternoons are gathering moving materials and attempting to start the process of actually washing knick knacks and getting them in boxes. Sixty days isn't a lot of time to handle all the "stuff" she's got to deal with.

Our big break was the three days at Myrtle Beach State Park, kicking back, walking the beach, helping decorate for the reception (nobody wanted to do all the stuff with flowers). Our big excitement was Himself finding the car he was looking for, almost within budget, and picking it up the day before we left for the beach.

All in all, it's been kind of a "happening" time around here and I suspect that will continue.

William J. said...

Hi DR!

Sis is gone now. Nephew is in Chicago at the basic training graduation of his son. So it is all me, all the time with Mom.

As busy as you were I am glad you survived the last two weeks!

Hope the cold is completely gone!

Better they bump the rent than being committed to a lease right now.

Sounds like a great time at Myrtle Beach!

Great find for Himself!

I'm glad I have a happening friend!

Bill