Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Switched At Birth, Slap Your Wife It Is Legal, And Don't Get Caught Breaking The Law

My creativity has taken a dive into the black hole lately and my life has become a bit boring with just mundane tasks lately so today I am bringing you three news stories from AOL.COM. The amazing, the idiotic, and the informational.

First story up comes to you from my great state, Oregon. What would you do if one day you got up in the morning and discovered you weren't who you thought you were? That you were switched at birth. That all the relatives that you thought you had weren't really your relatives? Read this amazing story at:

http://news.aol.com/article/switched-at-birth/475671?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fswitched-at-birth%2F475671

I love women. I really do. I would never ever think of hitting a woman and never would allow myself to even consider slapping one. Domestic Violence is huge in this country and it gets worse in a bad economy. We should be doing everything we can do to prevent domestic violence. Not only against women and children but against men as well. Apparently a Saudi judge didn't get the memo. I know the Saudi culture is different than ours but don't you think making it legal to slap your wife is a little over the top? Read the story here:

http://news.aol.com/article/saudi-judge-slap-wives/473908?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fsaudi-judge-slap-wives%2F473908


We know we have all done it. We know what the speed limit is when we are on the open road. And we exceed it. We willingly break the law. Now wanting my blog to be partly a public service I am going to inform you how to avoid that costly speeding ticket while you are out on the open road. Read how here:

http://autos.aol.com/article/car-news/10-ways-to-avoid-a-cop-giving-you-a-speeding/20070621101709990001

The questions for the day. Have you ever felt you were switched at birth? How would you react if you got up one morning and discovered that you really were switched at birth? If your husband or boyfriend slapped you would he be able to work normally for a few days? What do you think of the Saudi's judge's ruling? And last but not least do you ever speed? If you have gotten caught were you able to talk your way out of the speeding ticket?

8 comments:

Pat said...

I've never thought I was switched at birth. At one time, I had the very common "changeling fantasy" that I was adopted and there was another family out there. But it was only a minor blip, as I was really pretty sure my parents were actually my parents.

As to the Saudi judge, I'm not even a little bit surprised. The Saudis treat their women like crap, and this is a much lesser thing to get excited about than, say, "honor killings". I think the topper came when a girls' school caught on fire and the girls weren't allowed to leave because they weren't properly covered. I don't remember how many girls died in that fire, but for me, it's emblematic of the Saudis' "regard" for women.

If a man hit me, always assuming I hadn't hit him first, which is unlikely, he'd only do it once. There would be no second opportunity.

Did I ever speed? Oh, you betcha! But I've never gotten a ticket for speeding. Oh, wait! Yes, one. When we all got together in Seattle, and I was driving with Sian and Anne on a side trip to the Hoh Rainforest. Coming back, without another car on the road, we were afraid we'd be too late for the ferry, and I was pushing it a bit much. Didn't manage to talk myself out of the ticket, but we all agreed the cop was cute and that made it a little easier to take. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I always thought I was adopted. The only one in the family with red hair.

And if a woman hits a man first I still think that he shouldn't hit a woman. Instead of hitting back he should walk away.

That fire story is awful. It seems like if we are going to make the Saudis our allies we could hammer them about their treatment of women.

And I remember the speeding ticket you got in Seattle!

Bill

dona said...

Well I never thought I was switched at birth but several times have had the suspicion that I was adopted or just not my dad and mothers offspring. (I won't go into it as I think I have told this story before) :)

I agree with Pat about the Saudis. They do treat their women awful. Just terrible.
And I am sure I would never hit a man and if one hit me, I think I could never get over it. I like Pat's option of "no second opportunity"....too funny.

Speeding? Uh I think in my youth I had a lead foot. Got a few tickets for that reason. But it was all before I was 22. So not too bad. I never tried to talk my way out of one either as I was sure I was deserving...gee just thinking about those flashing lights coming up behind me, makes me nervous. Now OTOH, The Shankster used to tell me some stories of how he would get out of tickets. I think my jaw dropped to the floor more than a few times. I think I am married to one crazy dude. Can you get out of a speeding ticket? Yes.. you can!

:)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

That makes three of us that thought we were adopted!

I also agree with no second opportunities if a man hits you! To me any man that hits a woman is not only a scumbag but a weak scumbag.

Now Shankster sounds like my kind of man!

Bill

Lady DR said...

No clue what I'd do if I found out I wasn't who I thought I was. Like others, I often wondered about adoption, as Mom and Daddy "tried" for seven years before having me and had started adoption proceedings when Mom got pregnant with my younger brother. However, there are just too many mannerisms from both sides of the family that negate that idea!

As to the Saudi story, most Arab nations have little value for females. You may remember some of the S16 discussions of mutilation and such. I had a client who worked in Saudi and his observations were... awful. Then, again, remember that many of the Arab nations put little value on life, perhaps because it has so little to offer to the majority of the people. I'm not sure of the spelling, but the standard phrase applied to almost anything that happens is "ImshAlla" which means "It's Allah's will." This seems to apply to everything from traffic accidents to suicide bombings.

I was slapped once -- only -- by a man I thought I loved, when he came to my apartment drunk. I picked up my purse, keys and dog and left. The next morning I called and told him I never wanted to see him again. That incident taught me I loved him, but didn't like him and "like" is more important than "in love" for long term relationships.

Yes, I speed. I generally run about 5 mph over the posted limit. However, I do this in self-defense, to avoid being runover by the other drivers on the road. To "run with the traffic" in this area -- whether mountain roads, city streets or freeways -- one usually finds the speedometer about ten over the limit, so I consider myself a near model driver (g)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Welcome back! I can hardly wait for update day so we can hear about the birthday party, the doctor appointments, and the company!

Wow that was really educational about Saudi Arabia. Thank you.

I'm glad you left after just being slapped once. To me that shows a major character flaw.

Interesting comment about liking someone for a long term relationship. I have to think about that.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Liking/loving - lesson from my mamaa, as they say down here. Can't remember exactly how she put it, but she said if you liked someone, it strengthened into love and like and respect saw you through a lot of ups and downs. However, if you were in love with someone, but didn't like him/her, the chances of respect were less and the odds of working through rough spots were less. Something like that.

I suspect it has to do with liking someone means who share the same values and priorities.

Interesting that almost all my relationships started as friendships and, when the "bloom" was gone, we remained friends. Both Walt and Himself were my friends, before we married.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sounds like your mom was a smart woman!

And I think both respect and trust are important to a relationship. I could never trust someone that hit me.

Bill