Saturday, May 9, 2009

Celebrating Moms

When your children needed leadership you stood in front of them, when your children needed friendship you stood beside them, and when your children needed a push you stood behind them.

You have impacted the world more than any politician could. You have loved in a way no leading movie star could. You have given more selflessly than any religious leader could. You accept your children with all their imperfections. You make your children feel important. You breathe life into your children. You breathe life into the world.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Tomorrow I will celebrate my Mom. Today I'm am celebrating all Mom's.

Tell me about your Mom. What has she meant to you? What has she taught you? Also tell me what it is like to be a Mom. Tell me what your children make you feel?

4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

My mother is my best friend. I am so lucky that, at nearly 90, she is still HERE and that she is as with it as she is (though tending to forget things now, which is not surprising). She was always the person I aspired to be, and ultimately the person I could not live up to (in my own mind).

I love my kids, but the distance between us saddens me. They are busy with their own lives and don't have time for Mom. One of my sons said "sorry, Mom, but I'm blowing you off this Mother's Day." The other is busy with fires in Santa Barbara and of course Jeri is in Boston.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

Your mom sounds like she is almost as an amazing woman as you are!

I once asked my mom if I lived up to her expectations and she said "Have I lived up to yours?".

The fact that your children have their own lives tells me you raised them to be independent souls. What better mother could there be than that?

Bill

dona said...

I miss my mom. I didn't realize how much I actually did with her til that last year with her, when she was not really there(in her mind). I found I could tell her anything and she didn't judge me. There have only been 2 others like that in my life. I miss that.
I also am far from my son and he is starting a new life and I am finding there is little room in it for me.
Until yesterday when he was sort of telling me he was going to be getting me the usual flat of flowers for my garden and I said to him not to as he had another "mother" to pay the attention to. (His new wife and mother of his only child and this is the first Mothers day for her) His response to me was...."I only have one Mother".
Needless to say, I smiled all day yesterday!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I miss my dad more each year even though I didn't really have him the last three years he was alive.

What a wonderful thoughtful son you must have for him to be so loving towards his mom.

And what a great mother-in-law you are!

Bill