Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Old Friends, Old Finds, & New Contest.

I've been kind of emotional since connecting with my old friend. He sent me a follow-up email about what he was doing, the trouble he had getting to where he is, and what he is doing now. He also wrote one of the most touching things that anyone has ever written about me. I handle my own suffering well. However, when someone else that I know has complications in life I soak up all the emotions around them and suffer right along with them. I'm also terrible at accepting compliments and it is extremely difficult for me to believe that I ever impact anyone's life.

After I lost touch with my friend he went on to have a very successful career in accounting going on to be a tax partner in one of the largest certified public accounting firms in the world. Then as life sometimes does, it dealt him a terrible blow in the form of colon cancer. He fought it, fought it hard. He beat the odds and although he is still on long term disability he is in remission. While in remission he has reconnected with his spiritual side and this last Sunday was the second Sunday that he gave a speech from the pulpit. The title of his speech? "The Image of God, or What Does it Mean that We Are 98% Genetically Identical to Chimpanzees?" He is now coaching, writing, teaching, and mentoring and considering going to theology school. He has turned a tragedy and a near death experience into a message of hope and a mission of doing for others. Still a role model not only for me but everyone he touches.

The touching thing he wrote about me?

"I remember you as a fine gentleman whose water ran deep and whose experiences were quite profound. You were a big part of helping me transition from being a crazy kid playing baseball to an adult building a career and a life. Not sure if you knew it, but you were a major example to me of how a man could be an accountant and still be a man. You also inspired me to expect difficulties and then expect to get through them. Oh, and you were a great example of being open and honest about reality, not regretting it, and not wanting to shut the door on it. I have always been grateful for your friendship and your example."

On to the next subject. I've been making great progress with cleaning out my house and my garages. Throwing things out. Getting things ready to go to Goodwill. Cleaning out my life. Clean out the clutter in my house and maybe the clutter in my life will fly away. I'm at the place now where I can actually see that I have a garage. Found some interesting things. My old Fort Apache set that I used to play with as a kid. Remember Rusty and Rin Tin Tin? Also found my electric sports games. Electric football and electric baseball games that I played with in junior high. Some memorable things about man's first landing on the moon. An eight millimeter movie of the actual walk on the moon. A historical book with pictures from take off to landing. Then there was the book commemorating the eruption of Mount St. Helens. A paper from the day JFK was assassinated. And so on. I really did get sidetracked reading that stuff.

Subject three. A Contest. There will be a contest that will start on The Dahn Report at 7 AM on June 15, 2009 and end at 7 AM on Jun 17, 2009. An eligible participant will be anyone that posts a comment anywhere on The Dahn Report between now and 7 AM on June 15, 2009. I haven't decided on a prize yet but it will be something like a DVD with a season of Friday Night Lights on it, a gift card, or a lottery ticket. The contest will be twenty-five questions. Each question will list three things. You will have to guess what the three things have in common. All questions will be worth one point each. The eligible participant with the most points will be declared the winner. A sample question:

Car tires - Crops - Roasting Pigs.

The answer will appear on the next blog entry.

The questions for today. Has anyone ever told you in writing or in person that you have impacted someone's life? Have you even cleaned out your house or garage and found old treasures? What do the above three things have in common?

10 comments:

Pat said...

What a lovely tribute your friend wrote to you! We should all let those who've mattered to us know about it, but we seldom do.

Now your questions: The only time I've gotten anything like that was a couple of Thanksgivings ago, when my daughter wrote me a lovely email listing the things Ray and I had given her that she was thankful for. That was a great thing to receive. Now that I think about it, I should send her one this year listing all the things she's given me over the years. She knows I love her and I like her, too. And that I'm proud of her and admire her. But it wouldn't hurt to put it in writing. [s]

Every time I go on a cleaning/throwing-out spree I find old treasures. And I keep them, which means my cleaning/throwing-out is too limited and my clutter remains.

Answer to tires/crops/pigs by email.

dona said...

First off...Crap Pat...I was hoping to see your answer to the tires/crops/pig question! I am having a brain fart and can't think of anything!

Next Bill, the last 2 posts on your friend was really touching and so very nice of him to write such nice things to you. What special friends you have and how nice of you to share this with us.

As to the treasures you are finding in your garage...wow! Such nice things. Looking at them can really take you back, I am sure. I have been there, done that. I tend to do the same and hoard on to everything. But during the last years of my mother and Aunt and watching what all they hung on to, and after I had to go through all their things I decided there were some things I can live without, So before coming here I got rid of a lot of things I really didn't need.(But I still miss it all) But I just love finding old treasures.

As far as the new contest...I guess so far Pat & I are in......:)

Kaye R said...

YAY, I'm in!! Bill... it is amazing when out of the blue, we are told that we have made a difference in someone elses life. I've had several ex-employees contact me years after they've left, some on good terms, some on not so good terms. They've all complimented me on my management style and how it's made them re-evaluate some things they do. It's gratifying to know that doing the right thing with a Kaye twist, had a possitive impact.

What is it about garages that just breeds stuff? lol I take off of work a week each spring just to purge garage krap! You're doing a great job!

I will also email my answer :)

And.... you DO make a difference to others. You mean a lot to each of us who read and post on your blog. HUGS!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

What a great idea to write your daughter! I know she will treasure it.

And of course you know you got the answer right.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Pat and Mary Z got the answer write and Kaye was close. I emailed you a clue.

You really hit the nail on the head as to why I am going to the trouble of cleaning everything out. I am tired of being a pack rat and things I haven't used for ten years seem to be just taking up space!

Bill

William J. said...

Hello there Kaye!

I'm glad you are in!

I'm not surprised former employees compliment you are you management style. You would be a dream to work foir.

Thank you for the nice compliment and truly everyone here means a lot to me!

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm back and I'm in (on the contest), but I'm not even going to try to catch up on past messates and posts, given the Mom situation with allergy "fixes" and the upcoming move. That said, you sure have had some interesting discussions while I was gone.

What a lovely note from your friend and how great that you've regained contact. I'm so glad to hear that he beat the colon cancer and is in remission and doing such wonderful things at this point. What a tribute he paid you! I shall hope that, like our friend, he gets a "cancer free" evaluation soon.

Good job on cleaning out the house and, yes, I understand about taking the time out to go through old memories and happy moments. It slows most of us down, I think. And there are things I've tossed that I maybe might have kept, but I still remember them. And there are things I should have tossed, but have kept for various reasons. And, yes, I find that decluttering physical things helps me declutter my mind and emotions on most occasions, which is why I've become a great proponent of the process.

Yes, I've been fortunate enough to have some folks tell me I've made a difference in their lives and some have been quite surprising. Ten years ago, I received a book of original songs from a woman who was was in our church when I was a youngster. She recalled the time I called to tell them to not let her daughter stand at the end of their long lane, because the school bus had gotten bogged down in snow and would be at least two hours late and how important that was, because of her daughter's health (I think I was maybe ten years old at the time and this letter arrived forty years later). And I've had clients send me lovely notes about what a difference I made in their goals and aspirations and how encouraged they were with my responses (even when it meant a LOT of work for them) And water aerobics students who've either talked to me or sent emails about the difference my encouragement made. Nothing as life-altering as your friend's note, but it does feel good to know you've made a positive difference of some sort in someone's life. I think the most important notes I've gotten are from people who read my cancer caregiver book and somehow tracked me down and sent notes and letters about the impact it had on their challenges and lives. Those are worth more than any advance I may have received.

Pat, what a lovely idea to send a note to your daughter. So often we don't let people know what they've done to make our lives better or to make us happy or to make change in our lives.

Off to email Bill with my "sample" answer.

William J. said...

Hello There DR

Nice to see you back.

Is mom's move a sure thing?

It doesn't surprise me that you have folks tell you that you made a difference in their lives. WOW. You made an impact as a ten year-old!

I remember the cancer research center I donated my time at used you book and gave it to family members. So now it is my turn to tell you that you made an impact on people then and there!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Wow, I hadn't realized you'd given my book to the cancer center out there. Since publishers feel there's not "sufficient market" for the book, I sometimes ponder going with POD (self) publishing, but the jury's still out.

Yes, the move is definite. The questions is just when. I talked to Lori (apt mgr) today (for some reason, she and Mom just aren't comfortable with each other) and explained that we'd be going month to month, as it was obvious Mom was getting close to not being able to live alone and Deb had a big house that was basically handicap friendly. And I think Mom told Sue (across the hall) this afternoon, in case Sue is interested in moving into Mom's apt. Sue is permanently confined to a wheelchair and her apartment is not handicap equipped. Now, it's just a case of getting Mom to pick a target date and then get started. She's talking Aug 1st, but the last email from Deb contained comments she was hoping for after the end of August, so I need to talk to Deb and then see if I can talk with Mom to meet Deb's needs. The way it now stands, I see a lot of deep breathing and patience involved in the entire process and figure God had a reason for slowing down the editorial inquiries and requirements at this point in time!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I've heard self-publishing is a difficult way to go.

I hope your mom picks a target date and sticks with it!

Be well and be patient!

Bill