Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Reality

What is your reality? My reality is that I've always wanted a lot of things but never really got off my dead ass to do the work necessary to get those things. Either I am to busy with other things. Or I am to lazy. Or I am afraid if I do the work I will succeed. Which brings me to the second reality. It is time. Time to face the reality that if I want the things I say I want then I will need to do the work to get them.

Which brings us to reality TV. None of the shows got it right. Pat, I am going to ruin Celebrity Apprentice for you if you haven't seen it yet. I will do a five line break between my Amazing Race Comments and The Celebrity Apprentice Comments and then after The Apprentice comments will do another five line break allowing you to skip over them.

Dancing With The Stars is now in the Semi-Finals. They got it wrong. Ty Murray has no business being in the final four and L'il Kim had no business leaving. The final four are reality star Mellissa Rycoff. Hunk Gilles. Olympic medal winner Shawn Johnson, and out of his element cowboy Ty Murray. I do think the judges do consistently over score Johnson and under score Ty so I'm taking those two out of my predictions. The final two are going to be Gilles and Mellissa with Mellissa being the second woman in a row to win Dancing With The Stars. From being rejected by the bachelor to becoming dancing queen, the sweetest kind of revenge.

The Amazing Race got it wrong too. Mother Marcie and deaf son Luke just shouldn't be in the finals. They have ran a good race but the breaks kind of went their way a few times. The other finalists are former NFL cheerleaders Jame and Cara and lawyers and siblings Tammy & Victor. I think the cheerleaders win the million bucks. I really don't want the mother and son to win even though it would make a great story. And who in the world would want lawyers to win? That leaves the cheerleaders for me to root for.






Celebrity Apprentice got it wrong too. Poker playing from Portland, Oregon Annie Duke and arch enemy comedian Joan Rivers are the final two. Should have been Sandra Bullock's main squeeze, Jesse James, and model Brande. I think it was fixed to bring together two women that hate each other just for the ratings. I think Annie will pull this off because she has the evil spirit to win this match. Beside I'm kind of obligated to root for her since she is from Portland. Should be interesting.








Who are you rooting for? What is your reality? As soon as you decide what you want out of your life do you do the work required to obtain it? Or are you like me and just wait for it to come to you?

10 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

My reality is that life is completely different now than I expected it to be when I reached this age and I am struggling, not very successfully, to find direction...

William J. said...

Hi Bev

I thought by now I would know who I am and where I want to go but like you I'm not sure what turn to make. And I'm not really sure where to ask for directions.

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, I could have written your first paragraph about myself, with the exception (that I think you probably share) of work. I think I did okay there. Maybe could have done better if I'd been more competitive, but I did way better than I could have expected and managed to work in a "young person's business" right up to retirement age. The rest of life is exactly as you say, and at this particular point in my life, I feel stuck and immobilized and don't even know quite what I do want, besides wanting to NOT be responsible for anyone but myself.

I agree completely about DWTS. Ty should have been the one to go and L'il Kim deserved to stay. I also agree that the final two should be Gilles and Melissa, but with that show, who knows?

Also agree about the mother/son combo on Amazing Race. He's a brat (somebody said that in TV Guide and then commented, "Yes, somebody said it.") I had been thinking that for some time. Beyond that they should go, I really have no preference about who wins.

I didn't see Apprentice this last week because of houseguests who would ridicule my watching it {g}. And also, we were out and I had to tape Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters. Life is about choices. {g} Joan Rivers and her daughter have both behaved like 2 year-olds and Annie deserves to win. I imagine you're quite right that it was fixed to have the dueling twosome duke it out (pardon the pun) at the end.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I actually think I could have even done more work relatated if I hadn't partied my way through the LA area during my self-discovery period.

I think you did great in work and did it in area at first you really didn't have a background in. You have an amazing resume.\

By the way stay tuned, tomorrow's post is all about music.

I think on DWTS there will so much flack over Ty staying that the people that voted for him will be embarrassed and he is the next to go.

The son is a brat and sometimes I think he uses being deaf as an excuse. I mean they are in a race for a million bucks that is going to bring out the competitive spirit about anyone and just because someone smiles at the wrong time isn't a good reason to go ballistic either for the mother or the son.

Even thought there was no pun intended, it was a good one!

Bill

Lady DR said...

My reality is... not being sure what my reality is or just what I want it to be. When I was working, I sometimes made things happen and sometimes just got dang lucky, but I feel pretty good about that. Now... who am I, where am I going and how am I going to get there seem to be the questions of the day, particularly with all the unknowns up in the air. Sort of what Bev said and you and others echoed. And, yes, I think the fear of succeeding at something may be as strong as the fear of failing in some areas.

I think my mission right now is to figure out what I really want. What do I want to do when I grow up? This isn't where I expected to be at this point in my life. It's not "bad," it's just not what I expected and now I'm not sure what direction I want to go or how hard I'm willing to work, if I do find a direction. Some days I'm willing to do what's necessary for a short term goal, but long term goals I really have a passion for seem to elude me.

Since I don't watch TV, I can't comment on the other parts of your message. I think it's back to the Morning Pages and seeing if I can figure out what I want to do for the next five years and where I want to be when I'm seventy (wry s)

William J. said...

Hi Dr

What I've been doing with my post about TV shows is try to relate them to something in real life so that those that don't watch the shows have something to post about.

I'm guessing you made a lot happen at work! And I don't think it had anything to do with luck, instead having more to do with your skill!

It is intersting that all of us that have elderly parent issues have lost our direction.

Maybe we can help each other find that direction.

Bill

Lady DR said...

"Interesting that all of that have elderly parent issues have lost our direction."

Bill, what a thought-provoking comment. I hadn't thought about that, but it sure seems that way from the posts so far. And I think it happens so slowly, is so insiduous, we don't realize it's occurring until we wake up one day and ask, "who am I, what am I doing here and where am I going?"

The "games and entertainment begin about 8:00 this evening, so look for me when you see me. I may get sanity breaks. Or not. I still have no idea who's coming from out of town for sure. Change MD reservations once, looks like they may need changing back to larger table. God forbid anyone should plan ahead.

If I don't get a chance to get back in, best wishes to everyone for a Happy Mother's Day Weekend

dona said...

First off I think Bev said it perfect. It is just how I fell about my reality every day. But then Bill and Ladydr summed it up for all of us who are in the same boat...sort of. Like for me I know why I am here, I know how I got here, I just don't want to be here any longer, yet I have no idea of where to go from here..or how to get there. :)

As far as the reality shows go, I quit watching DWTS a while back on this season, it seems all the ones I like were leaving and they were keeping ones I didn't like. I didn't know as many this time around maybe why I wasn't as interested too.

Celebrity Apprentice? Kinda makes me made at who was chosen for the final two..but you knew it was coming. I got to like Jesse a bit. But thats the thing with these shows, its all getting to where you know what is going to happen, whatever is good for the ratings I guess.

Amazing Race, another one that it seems like keeps ones in the finals that I don't feel belong.
Not particularly rooting for the lawyers either and one of the cheerleaders is just mean. So I will be the odd one here and root for the mom and son...actually I kinda like them although I did think her outburst was a bit much...but like I said Ratings.......:)

William J. said...

Hi Dr

The thing is when we lose that elderly parent I am guessing that we will be even more lost. And struggling even more to find direction. As least for a while.

Take care of yourself during this busy time!

Well see you when you get back!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Let's run away together. You can even bring your husband. I don't want to be here either.

The dancing on DWTS this season has been the best of any season and the top three are closer together than any season. So that part I like. I just don't like Ty staying on longer than he should.

OK, I guess we will let you root for the Mother and Son on The Amazing Race. It would be a very interesting story to have them win.


Bill