Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Answers/The Winners

The Results: Dona 585, Connie 585, DanaRae 565, Pat 525, Mary Z 525, Kaye 515. In a coin flip heads was assigned to Dona, tails to Connie. The coin was flipped at 10:00 PM at my house on August 5, 2009. It cames up heads so Dona wins the $50 gift card and Connie wins the $25 gift card. The others if they so desire win a scenic 2010 Oregon Calendar. Email me with your choices of gift cards and whether or not you want a calendar.

It is interesting that the two winners and Pat got all five right about me. The others only got four out of five on the blog questions. Dona re-read the entire blog. Connie used the blog feature, "search blog" to come up with the answers. Pat did it from memory. It was interesting because Connie came up with Spenser Tracy just by looking at my dad's picture.

I love clowns by the way as opposed to being feared by them. Washington's treatment of his slaves bothered me. I have admired RFK from the time that I was a little child. At one time I wanted to be him. I met RFK they day before he was assasinated. It was less than one second meeting as his plane touched down in Medford, Oregon when he was on the way to the Califorinia primary.

Off to take Mom to a doctor's appointment that I didn't know about until late last night.

THANKS TO ALL!!1 IT WAS FUN!!

Trivia Each (points listed after each question)

(source Trivial Pursuit)

1. What two German magicians met on a cruise ship when one offered up his smuggled
pet cheetah for the other’s stage performance? Siegfried and Roy. 10 points.

2. What is the Academy Award statuette, also known as Oscar, holding in front of him? A sword. 10 points.

3. What President is said to have had the largest feet, wearing a size 14 shoe? Warren G. Harding. 10 points.

4. What former forescenic scientist is known for her gritty well-written mysteries? Patricia Cornwell. 10 points.

(NOTE: THIS QUESTION WAS THROWN OUT BECAUSE CORNWALL WAS NEVER A FORESCENIC SCIENTIST. THREE BETTER ANSWERS WERE GIVEN. IN ANOTHER CASE A PERSON WOULD HAVE ANSWERED CORNWALL IF HER RESEARCH HADN'T LEAD HER TO SOMEONE ELSE. SHE THOUGHT IT WAS A TRICK QUESTION.)

5. The amusement park Six Flags flies what six flags? 5 points for each flag. Spain, France, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederate States of America, and The USA.

What do these three things have in common. 10 points each.

(source the game Tri-Bond)

6. What do a basketball player, a soccer player, and a baby have in common? 10 points. They all dribble.

7. What do the slogans “taking candy from a baby”, “falling off of a log”, and “shooting fish in a barrel” have in common? All are things that are easy.

8, What do Buster Brown’s Dog, Muhammad Ali, and full cut underpants have in common? They all are boxers.

(NOTE: THIS QUESTION WAS THROWN OUT BECAUSE BUSTER BROWN'S DOG WAS NOT A BOXER. There is onfusion as to what type of dog Buster was, some research says pit bull, other research concludes it was a Red Boston Terrier.)

9. What do a golf course, a bowling alley, and a wrestling star have in common? They all have pins.

10. Other than being famous or rich what do Frank Sinatra Jr., Charles Lindbergh, and Patty Hearst have in common? The were all kidnapped.

The Dahn Report - 10 points each.

(source The Dahn Report)

11. What famous actor was The owner of The Dahn Report’s dad often mistaken as?

A. Gomer Pyle..

B. Dustin Hoffman

C. Spenser Tracy XXX

D. Clark Cable.

12. The Owner of The Dahn Report is scared of:

A. Snakes. XXX

B. Dogs.

C. Lions

D. Clowns.

13. What did The Owner of The Dahn Report go out of his comfort zone to do in the fall of 2008.

A. Sky Dived.

B. Bungee jump.

C. Rock Climbed.

D. Took comedy classes XXX

14. Which of the following is not an idol of the Owner of The Dahn Report

A. George Washington. XXX

B. RFK

C. Thomas Edison

D. His Dad.

(Note: All but George Washington have been mentioned on the blog in other than trivia, this is the first time Washington has been mentioned on the blog in relation to me)

15. What happened to the owner of The Dahn Report his first day on a job in February of 2009.

A. He was fired.

B. He fell and had a concussion XXX

C. He was given a bonus.

D. His computer crashed.

WHO AM I 25 points each


16. I was born in Pasadena, California on August 15, 1912. I was the eldest of three children. At 6’ 2” I was the tallest student at Katherine Branson School for Girls in San Francisco, California. At the onset of World War II I worked as a research assistance Office of Strategic Services (OSS), now the CIA. After attending a special school in France I changed careers. Following a 40-year career in that new occupation I received France's highest honor, the Legion d'Honneur, in November 2000. And in August 2002, the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History unveiled an exhibit featuring the place where I filmed three of my popular shows. Because of her height Meryl will never really be confused for me but she soon will be associated with my name. Who Am I? Julia Child

(source. Biography.com.)

17. I was Born in 1925, the son of a Boston doughnut company executive, and was educated at Phillips Andover Academy and taught myself to play piano as a teen. I attend Harvard and was elected president of the Hasty Pudding Club. My college was interrupted during WWII by a stint in the US Navy. After the war I supported myself by playing piano in bars and silent movies. Billy Wilder once said of me “there was a little bit of genius in everything he did." I starred with Judy Holliday in my first film in 1954. Using my military experience I became a famous MR. in smash 1955 filmed named after that mister. I won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for my fourth film. One film made Tony and I famous cross dressers. Known at the time mostly for comedy Lee and I had some wine after I gave her roses. Jane, Michael, and I were almost had a radioactive Syndrome. I died a year after my friend Walter did. Who Am I? Jack Lemmon.


(source: http://www.starpulse.com)

18. I was Born to Russian-immigrant parents, I made my first film appearance at age four. I took taking dancing lessons since infancy. I was in a grown up role opposite the causeless rebel , James, and frolicked in grass with Warren. I was also a regular on a 1953 television sitcom. My first marriage to Robert didn’t last. The second time Robert and I married it last until my death. I was nominated three times of Oscars with the rebel, for frolicking in that grass and for spending time with a proper stranger. I died at a to early age while filming a science fiction movie. My drowning death remains a mystery to some. Who Am I? Natalie Wood.


(source: http://www.starpulse.com)

19. I was born in 1820 into a wealthy and well-connected British Family and named after the city I was born in. I first had a calling into an occupation in 1837, into a career at the time that was handled mostly by female “hangers-on” who followed armies and were equally likely to function as prostitutes. The occupation at the time had a poor reputation filled by poor women. When I was old enough to go in the profession I witnessed the death of pauper in a workhorse infirmary after which I announced the intention of my career to my family which evoked intense anger and distress from my mother and other family members. I was a pioneer in hospital sanitation methods. Against my mother’s wishes in 1851 I rejected the marriage proposal for a politician, poet, and 1st Baron. During the Crimean war I took a staff of 38 to Scutari where despite the objections of the doctors I improved the conditions of the wounded soldier so that the mortality rate dropped from 40% to 2%. I treated 2,000 patients myself and came down with Crimean Fever. I am remembered today because of my compassion, care skills, administrative skills, and introducing new ways to care for patients and maintain medical records. I am often referred to by a phrase because of the Grecian lamp that I always carried with me. The lamp allowed me to write letters at night to the family of every soldier that died in my care. Because of my commitment to my profession I was able to start a training school on July 9, 1860. My notes on my profession was published in 1860. In 1883 Queen Victoria awarded me the Royal Red Cross and in 1907 I was the first woman awarded the Order of Merit. After I died in 1910 my relatives refused the offer to have me buried in Westminster Abbey. There is still a museum named after me in London. I once was quoted as saying "My occupation is an art: and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit? It is one of the Fine Arts: I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts." Who Am I? Florence Nightingale.

(source: http://www.tentmaker.org/biographies/)

20. I was born in 1860 and died a spinster in 1927. My family wasn’t the warmest family in the world. My sister and I shared the front of the Upstairs of the family home and my parents shared the back of the upstairs of the home. We didn’t always even eat meals together. I did try to bury the hatchet but that caused me nothing but trouble. I was acquitted by the jury in an hour and a half. I died of pneumonia nine days before my estranged sister died. In my will I left thirty grand to The Animal Rescue League and also left five hundred a month for the care of my father’s grave. I am a sixth cousin once removed of Elizabeth Montgomery. Among other things there was a Ballet and Theatre performances of my life story. The Travel channel once selected my home as the most scary place on earth. In 2008, The History Channel's series MonsterQuest visited my home looking for ghosts. An episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents entitled "The Older Sister" retold my story, in which my older sister was the real culprit and I was just covering for her. Who Am I? Lizzie Borden.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/)

JEOPARDY. Point value noted by question.

21. Let’s Play Jeopardy. No Double Jeopardy. No Final Jeopardy. You can skip any
question, You get the points next to the question. Subject it Miscellaneous
Questions.

10 points: Article 1, Section 8 if the U.S. Constitution says Congress can make this, regulate its value and punish people who copy it. Money

20 points: “A Foot In The Door” is the title of this brush salesman’s autobiography. Alfred Fuller.

30 points: In October 1960 this world leader sat holding his shoe in the U.S. General Assembly. He was also once refused entrance to Disneyland. Nikitia Kruschev,

40 Points: Dating back to the American Revolution it’s the oldest continuously occupied military post in the United States. West Point.

50 Points: This 14th century Nomadic leader’s corpse was exhumed by Russian scientitst in 1941. Tamerlane. Also known as Timur

(source: computer game Play Jeopardy 2 by Sony)

CURRENT NEWS: 10 POINTS.

22. You wouldn’t be all wet if you told us what feat 17 year-old Zac Sunderland was the youngest to accomplish. Sail around the world alone.

(source The Oregonian. Date provided after the contest)

WHERE AM I: 25 POINTS.

23. I am in a city where the population in 2006 was over a half of million. I am a port city. I have been listed as the night largest city in my country. My local economy has been lead by the steel and heavy manufacturing industries but lately has shifted towards the service sector, particularly health sciences. I am home to The Royal Botantical Gardens, The Bruce Trail among other things including a football Hall of Fame. Our local football team plays at Ivor Wayne Stadium. Because of diverse location several TV and film productions have been filmed here. What City and Country am I in? Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

(souce: wikipedia)


24. I am the second largest city in my country famous for my natural settings, carnivals, my beaches, the samba, and other music. I’m home to a giant statue named Christ The Redeemer. My city boast of the largest and second largest urban forests in the world. My city is often considered on of the most violent in the world. I was discovered by a Portuguese expedition that included Amerigo Vespucci. According to the IBGE of 2008, there were 11,835,000 people residing in my Metropolitan. As a result of the influx of immigrants B from the late 19th to the early 20th century, one may find in communities of Jews, Arabs of Lebanese and Syrian origin, Italians, Spaniards, Germans, within my city. A movie blamed a May-December romance on me. Where Am I? Rio de Janeiro

(souce: wikipedia)

29. THE FINAL QUESTION: 25 points each correct answer.

On the long running Perry Mason television series in “The Case Of The Deadly Verdict” Perry Mason lost the case. One of the guest actors on that case is the cousin of a current U.S. Senator that was recently in the news. Name the actor, Name The Senator, name the recent movie that the actor had a role in, and name the state that the Senator represents.

Stephen Franken, Angels & Demons, Al Franken, Minnesota.

(While Stephen Franken was in The Manchurian Candidate, the most recent movie he was in and the correct answer is ANGELS & DEMONS)

(source: The Oregonian as credited from wire reports. August 1, 2009)

16 comments:

Pat said...

Congratulations to the winners!

I'm glad you threw those two questions out. Not only was the dog not a boxer, but "full cut underpants" aren't boxers, either if you look them up where I did. They're tighty-whities with, er, full coverage. Who knew?

Funny about Cornwell. I put her down first, then looked her up and found she was never a forensic scientist, so I went with Kathy Reichs, who was.

And not to nitpick, but it was actually Charles Lindbergh JUNIOR who was kidnapped. His dad was certainly a victim of the kidnapping.

You didn't put an answer for Question 28. I'll assume it's Rio de Janeiro unless otherwise notified.

This was a lot of fun, even for us non-winners, so thanks bunches for all the work you put into it. I hope your mom's surprise doc app't went well.

Lady DR said...

I want to add my congrats to the winners. I did go with boxers, although what I read said Tyge was a terrior, but after the Cornwall/Reich confusion, I figured what the heck. Who ever knew you could dribble with your feet? That one really threw me. I never realized there was a search blog function!

The contest was a great deal of fun and I really appreciate all the work you had to do, putting it together, Bill. You obviously spent more time researching than some of your sources. I learned a lot of stuff finding the answers.

Here's hoping the unexpected doctor's app't went well and wasn't anything critical, just a check-up?

Under the heading of, "it's not over 'til the fat lady sings," had an email from Deb with instructions for dealing with Charter, which includes a cross city trip, preferably asap. Nice to know I'm still needed (wry g).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I never got your entry. Did you get 585 too?

Reichs was one of the two better answers than Cornwall. The TV series Bones is based on her novels.

Rio was the correct answer and I added it now. Cut and Paste problem.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Since we used to play Soccer in PE I actually knew you could dribble with your feet!

I think this will not be the first panice email you get from Deb.

I sort of expect and email saying mom wants to move back to S.C.

Bill

Pat said...

You never got my entry? I just looked back and I sent it as an attachment to an email on 8/3.

I have no idea what I got, but I missed questions 6, 9, and 27 for sure. For #10, I put "They were all victims of kidnappers".

You can figure it out. Want me to re-send?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You don't have to re-send it, I found it. You are just better at technology than I am. Being part idiot I didn't think of checking for attachments to my email!

Bill

William J. said...

Oh and I forgot to mention to you Pat that you go five out of five about me. The third one to do it and the only one to do it from memory!

Bill

dona said...

SO I WON? Really? WOW, I don't believe it. I want to thank Bill for putting so much into the contest. I learned a lot also and had fun remembering things I thought I had forgotten. It was a hard one I think overall and I never win anything. I think I'll stay on this blog, it brings me luck.
:)

I knew about the blog search function but tried to do most from memory. But when I started to doubt myself, I decided to re read some posts. I actually based my answer on the dad look alike question by the picture of your dad also. That was an amazing no brainer. I could not find anything in your blog about his look alike and I was sure you had said something, you have so many love stories about them.

Hope the doc appointment went well and you didn't get too irritated. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

The thing about my dad and Spenser Tracy was really early on when I first started the blog. I am surprised so many of you got that by just looking at the picture.

I like that you re-read the posts.

The two main reasons people miss questions on the contest is they doubt themselves or they overthink questions.

The appointment went well, now if mom's caregiver would get a clue.

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks for going back to look for my entry, Bill, and nice to see myself inserted up there with the other also-rans. {g}

Of course I knew all the ones about you. Did you doubt it?

Sorry if you're having caregiver problems! Those can be the worst!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I did through a couple of questions in there that might have thrown but you knew me so well you cut through. I was surprised that two people answered RFK care to the idol question.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bill, bite your tongue on the panic calls and SC return -- what we think we can make happen and neither of those are in anyone's best interest, near as I can tell.

Uh oh... more issues with the caregiver? I thought those had been pretty much resolved. Sigh for you.

William J. said...

Hi DR

OUCH! That hurt when I bit my tongue.

But I will keep could thoughts that my thoughts don't come true!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

And I forgot about the caregiver. She is supposed to be at Mom's four nights a week: Here are the four days coming up this week:

Tonight she won't get there until 8 when she was supposed to be there at 4.

Saturday night she can't work because she is going to a reunion.

Sunday she has to leave for three hours to go do some things.

One freaking day is she keeping what she is supposed to do.

I just had a long talk with her on the phone, she was afraid to talk to mom "because she gets so upset when I am late"

She expected me to agree with her not mom. He point was that it isn't really a job that she is giving up her free time to help mom stay in her home. I told her mom and I viewed it as a job and us helping her. I also told her if she didn't really want the job we would find someone else.

So the long and short of it is we are going to find someone else and she will work until we can. And my Mom said she would like to try staying alone a night or two a week.

I am all for it, if that is what she wants.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Oh, Bill, what a mess with the caretaker. So, she thinks she's doing YOU guys a favor by allowing you to pay her to care for your mom? Sounds to me like you're well served to find another caregiver! From across the country, I don't like her attitude.

And your mom staying by herself a night or two... how do you feel about that?

Can I offer a couple suggestions? Just because some did and some didn't work with Mom, doesn't mean they won't work with our cloned Mom? Check on Meals on Wheels. They'll deliver every day or only certain days. They don't have income or other requirements. I did discover that even if you could, conceivably, fix her meals or take her out, the fact she lives alone, is elderly, are about all that matters. They do two things -- make sure your mom has a meal and also often offer some sociability and encouragement to eat the meals (I know you worry about her eating at lunch). Sometimes, our folks will listen to others, while ignoring what we say.

Also, if she wants some independence, check on MedAlert. I can give you the email and phone info, if you want, if you let me know in email. One of my biggest concerns was Mom alone and falling or needing help of some kind. MedAlert was the highest rated service and when we did the monthly tests, they were right there. Also, Mom did hit the alert button on her "necklace" a couple times in the last two years and they were right there, on the speaker unit, to be sure she was okay and they didn't need to call me or 911. It was a huge security factor for me, knowing that if anything did happen while she was alone at the apt, I'd know immediately and I could decide whether I needed to go to the apt or meet the EMTs at the ER (fortunatley neither was the case, but it was knowing they were backup that eliminated a lot of worry on my part). Also, on the rare occasions Himself and I were out of an evening, they had my cell and if they couldn't reach me, they would call the EMTs, based on what Mom described as her problem.

It sounds like Mom wants some independence, which is good, but when you're not sure of her capabiolities, it's also scary and worrisome. God bless

William J. said...

Hi DR

I've been the one all along promoting mom staying alone because I think she can do it. Also the caregivers don't do anything at night, they wouldn't even know if she died. 911 is great in King City never take more than two minutes to get to Mom's. I am only eight minutes away, six without any cops on the road. So I can be there pronto. Plus it would save mom a thousand a month.

We had medalert for awhile. And I am going to check on it again. Because it would protect in case she fell at night.

And it wouldn't be staying alone every night. I would go over Dancing With The Star nights to watch with her. My nephew is there three nights every other week, four nights every other week. So I think it is doable and if she wants to try what I have been suggesting for weeks then I am all for it!

Bill