Friday, August 28, 2009

Crime, Music, Sibling Rivalries.

Before today’s entry I wanted to thank Bev, Mary Z, Dona, Snug for trying to help me with links. I tried everything everyone said & it looks like I wasn't beyond help. The link I used today worked!! THANK YOU ALL!!

SHERWOOD OREGON’S CRIME WAVE.

“A woman in 17600 block of Inkster Drive reported that someone had thrown peanut butter on her front door and porch sometime during the night. She is not sure who would do such a thing but speculated it was Trader Joe’s brand peanut butter”

Now I am just curious how she knew the brand of the peanut butter. Did she taste it? Inquiring minds want to know,

AMERICA’S GOT TALENT.

Nothing else was really on TV the other night so I turned on America’s Got Talent at my sister’s bequest. The first performance was absolutely stunning. Breast cancer survivor, Barbara Padilla, gave the performance of a lifetime. A voice more beautiful than the amazing Susan Boyle. I am going to give Dona and I some kudos because we noticed early on in the game. She is my pick to win it all. You can see her performance here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBj2LW1cNoQ

TOP CHEF

I learned a lot on Top Chef this week including if you roll the dice you have to be ready to deal with the results. If you take risks sometimes there are rewards waiting. Sibling rivalries will sometimes produce great results. And no matter how hard you try to live a life where gender doesn’t matter you will be put into sexist situations by others.

The Quickfire challenge was to roll dice at the craps table and the number that came up was the number of ingredients that you had to use to create a dish. Michael used eight ingredients to create the winning dish of Nitro Gazpaccio with compress cucumbers and tart to walk away with fifteen grand and immunity from elimination.

I was extremely disappointed that the Top Chef producers would create such a sexist competition of the men against the women. The challenge was to cook for a bachelor and bachelorette party. The men to cook for the bride and her guests. The women to cook for the groom and his guests. The men, saving all of the men elimination. Bryan just barely edged out brother Michael with his apple sorbet and goat cheese cookies. Among the women I thought Jessie should have been sent packing but Eve’s shrimp and avocado ceviche with smokey tomato salsa and popcorn got her sent home. Right now I am really liking Jennifer to compete with brothers Michael and Bryan and the ever optimistic Kevin for the title this year.

Questions for the day. If someone threw peanut butter at your front door, would you taste it? If you did could tell the brand name? Can sibling rivalries be a good thing? And have you ever been put in a sexist situation by someone else?


TRIVIA

Yesterday’s answers: Overcoat, Whopper, Drive Drunk, Action, and Public Speaking.


TODAY’S WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE

$2,000

In Eminem’s 2000 rap song “The Real Slim Shady”, he asks the real Slim Shady to please do what?

a. wake up
b. wise up
c. stand up
d. shut up

$4,000

What state is the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America?

a. Virginia
b. North Carolina
c. Massachusetts
d. Pennsylvania

$8,000

What is the maximum number of tablespoons in a standard, 8-ounce stick of butter?

a. 4
b. 8
c. 6
d. 10

$16,000

When the petals have fallen off a rose, the dried fruit that is left is called what?

a. spur
b. pompon
c. shoot
d. hip

$32,000

In 1775, if two lights shone in the Old North Church, what “sea” would the British be crossing?

a. Atlantic Ocean
b. Massachusetts Bay
c. Charles River
d. Cape Cod Bay

8 comments:

Pat said...

I would not taste peanut butter thrown at my door. But if I did, I could probably narrow it down to Trader Joe's or Laura Scudder's natural -- only peanuts and salt for both, with TJ having a no-salt one (don't know about Laura's). However, unless it was a major clue to the identity of the perpetrator, I don't think I'd care much about the brand.

Barbara Padilla has a great voice, but it's in an entirely different class from Susan Boyle's, so comparing them is a bit like apples and oranges. I predict that because Padilla is an opera singer (or at least sings opera so far), she will not be the winner in the end.

I know nothing about sibling rivalries, in cooking or anything else.

Have I been put in a sexist situation? Ha! It is to laugh! When I was young(er), before this age of PC, we women were all put into sexist situations all the time. We learned to laugh it off or just deal with it, as long as it wasn't dangerous or threatening to our livelihood. I'm amused at how sensitive young women are today, taking umbrage at stuff we wouldn't even have noticed 30 or 40 years ago. But good on them! Maybe someday men will shape up. {g}

Lady DR said...

I wouldn't know Jiff from Skippy, let alone Trader Joe from whatever. And I sure wouldn't be swiping PB off my front door to taste it!

After all your hard work, I forgot to check the link before coming to answers, so will address that later (as if I try to do so now, I apparently lose the world).

Sibling rivalries -- I suppose they can be a good thing in proper circumstances, I just haven't observed or experience it at this point. This is true in my generation and, having read the kids "personal essays" for college scholarships and grants, I'm not seeing it as a real positive for them, unless it may (may being the operative word) have served as some sort of negative motivation to prove themselves in one way or another. Or to make changes. I guess that may have been good, but the jury is still out.

As to sexist situations? Bill, honey, (g) I don't know where the age cutoff may be, but I can promise you that if you're over the age of sixty, you lived with sexist situations as part of your work life, whether it was harassment or equality in jobs or propositions or whatever. And it didn't matter what your job description was. I worked as a relatively "high level" admin ass't in the electronics days and a cocktail waitress or bartender at night and the only difference was whether it was light or dark. As Pat said, at that time we knew what the situation was and we dealt with it the best we could. I could usually laugh it off as a waitress (don't touch it, 'cause you can't afford it worked pretty well), I made close friends with the bartender, who stepped in as necessary. In the office environment it got a bit more tricky, but God protects the working girl and one learns quickly, even if it involves a learning curve. It was an intricate combination of neutralizing the sexist stuff, being taken seriously, having a sense of humor in order to keep your job and keep everyone happy, more or less. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care to go back to those days.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wouldn't taste peanut butter thrown at my door either unless they also threw bread. And no way could I tell the brand name.

I think you can compare Susan Boyle and Barbara Padilla even though their singing is a lot different. Like I think Barbara could sing other than opera and I am not so sure Susan could sing opera. I would love to see Barbara break the opera jinx and win this year.

I thought you might have been in a sexist situation or two.

Men shape up? You really are an optimist.

Bill

Mary Z said...

Peanut butter? YUCK! Can't even stand the smell of it.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I with you about knowing one peanut butter from another!

I generally think sibling rivalries are a bad thing but they often do push people to an higher level of accomplishment trying to keep upn with each other.

I think the age cutoff is a lot younger than sixty and I am sure in some areas there are still sexist situations going on. Not all mean are as aware as I am. I would love to live in a world where there wasn't any sexism or discrimination.

Bill

William J. said...

Mary Z!

I eat peanut butter if it is late at night and there is nothingn else in the house!

Bill

Pat said...

Comment #2: We don't know yet if Padilla can sing other than operatic style. And that Boyle can't sing opera... well, not very many can sing opera. Boyle is quite versatile, judging from only a couple of things I've heard her do. But it's not a contest between the two of them, and even Boyle didn't win top honors, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I love peanut butter, as long as it doesn't have sugar in it. Some brands add sugar, and they should be punished.

And yes, there are still sexist situations going on. Notably, I hear about a lot of it in open source software, where most of the programmers are men and apparently some of them are often dismissive of the women in the field.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

At least we can agree on that they are both really good singers but you are going to have a really hard time convincing me that Padilla voice doesn't have more range and isn't more verstile than Boyles. Probably as hard as convincing someone that watches Fox to convert to being a Democrat.

I sexist situations all the time in life and on TV and I try to point them out to the people involved. I just wish there weren't any.

Bill