Monday, August 3, 2009

Around The Contest, Around The Internet & My Life

I'm not feeling creative today so I am just going to do my around thing. First the contest. Perfect Score is 605. Leading Score is 535. One question has been missed by everyone. Although you know me pretty well one question about was missed by one entrant. What I was trying to do with the contest is hopefully let you know some interesting facts about famous people, places most of us will never go, throw in a current event or two and then also see how well you knew me from my blog posts. And also challenge you and make if fun for you. Is there a perfect score out there waiting to come in?

FROME THE INTERNET:

BANK TELLER CHASES ROBBER, LOSSES JOB

SEATTLE (Aug. 22) -- A Seattle bank teller has lost his job because he ran down a would-be bank robber and held him until police arrived. Jim Nicholson, 30, who had worked for more than two years at a Key Bank branch near the Seattle Center, says he understands the bank's strict policy that employees comply with robbery demands and avoid confrontations. But he told The Seattle Times that instinct took over when a thin man in a beanie cap, dark clothing and sunglasses pushed a black backpack across the bank counter on Tuesday and demanded money. Nicholson threw the bag to the floor, lunged toward the man and demanded to see a weapon. The man bolted for the door with Nicholson in pursuit. He chased him several blocks before knocking him to the ground with the help of a passer-by. Nicholson then held the man until police arrived. Bank teller Jim Nicholson chased down and captured a bank robber at his Key Bank branch in Seattle on July 28. But his crime-fighting deed cost him his job. Nicholson got fired because his chase violated bank policy to avoid confrontations with robbers. The link:

(http://xml.channel.aol.com/xmlpublisher/fetch.v2.xml?option=expand_relative_urls&dataUrlNodes=uiConfig,feedConfig,entry&id=403506&pid=403505&uts=1249311461 http://cdn.channel.aol.com/cs_feed_v1_6/csfeedwrapper.swf

Should he have been fired? I say no, a reward for his bravery and a suspension for a couple of weeks for violating company policy but never should he have been fired. Next story

PATRICK FOX, 48, DIED OF A HEART ATTACK SIX TIMES. By Mary Kearl

Each year, about 1.1 million people in the U.S. have heart attacks, and almost half of them die, according to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Association. In the spring of 2008, high school teacher Patrick Fox, 48, had a heart attack that stopped his heart and left him dead six times. Each time he was resuscitated he regained consciousness, not realizing the severity of what had just happened. The sixth time he died, he says he saw a blinding light and felt a sense of calm, but then he was revived again. This time he stayed alive.

The reason, he believes now, with a year of reflection and dealing with post-traumatic stress behind him, was so that he could write about his experiences for other heart attack survivors and their loved ones. On the anniversary of his heart attack, he completed his book, which he self-published: "The Widow-Maker Heart Attack at Age 48." The link to the story here:

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/heart-disease/surviving-a-heart-attack?icid=main|htmlws-dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2F www.aolhealth.com%2Fcondition-center%2Fheart-disease%2Fsurviving-a-heart-attack

Have you ever died once let alone six times? I’ve died once that was documented with hospital records. NEXT STORY:

ADULTERY BETWEEN MARRIED PARTNERS: A RECESSION STRATERGY? By Bruce Watson.

While accepted wisdom holds that adversity can bring people closer together, the recent recession has shown that, in reality, the opposite may well be the case. With finances getting stretched thin and economic pressures driving wedges between many couples, adultery seems to be be emerging as a coping strategy for many unhappy marrieds.

Ironically, the biggest stumbling block for would-be adulterers may well be cost. Although there are some prostitutes who are willing to barter for gas or snack items, professionals generally charge top dollar. While paying someone $800 to $2,000per hour may be a reasonable expense in boom times, it is a harder sell -- so to speak -- in a recession. A more traditional solution is semi-permanent, semi-formal relationships -- aka "mistresses." The ultimate, and most expensive, version of this trend are the traditional "kept women," who receive rent, gifts, and stipends in return for their affections. According to attorney Edward Hayes, one of New York's most notable "fixers," the recession has led to a major spike in what he calls the "High-End Girlfriend Index" (HEGI). Basically a measure of the city's priciest arm candy, Hayes' HEGI shows that the recession has forced many of the city's wealthiest men to abandon their illicit female companions.

Although recessionary pressures might be expected to increase monogamy, there is considerable evidence to suggest that the opposite has actually occurred. Financial problems are among the most common causes of marital conflict; in fact, the majority of divorced couples cite money as a cause for their eventual breakup. However, with the recession making divorce harder to afford, many unhappy couples are choosing to stay together. In fact, according to some sources, the divorce rate has reached a forty-year low.

Read the entire story here : http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/07/24/adultery-between-married-partners-a-recession-strategy/?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl6|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2F2009%2F07%2F24%2Fadultery-between-married-partners-a-recession-strategy%2F

Does this story surprise you? Do you believe that a bad economy leads to both more adultery and less divorces?

MY LIFE

Tonight will be the first night at Mom’s in almost a month. While I still long for a life that I need to only consider myself in the choices I make I am in a weird so of way looking forward to spending the night at mom. Since she has been home I’ve withdrawn a little more. Still making sure she gets out of the house two or three times a week but am also making sure there are full days when I don’t go near Mom’s house. It is an adjustment but I am handling it well.

Questions for the day. Are you going to turn in a perfect contest entry by Wednesday morning? Should the bank teller have been fired? Do you think bad economic times leads to more adultery and less divorces? Have you ever briefly died once let alone six times? I have once. And it is documented

6 comments:

Pat said...

I will not be submitting a perfect score. I am totally stumped on several questions. So far holding my submission in the hope of having an Aha! Moment or two, but am about to give up.

I would definitely not have fired the bank teller. Your solution sounds better to me, by far.

I haven't even died once. Yet.

As to the economy's effect on adultery and divorce, I have absolutely no idea. Nor, frankly, do I care much. Offhand, I'd say divorce rates might rise because of more worries and arguments about money. The statistics don't agree, it seems.

I'm not surprised that you're looking forward to a night with mom after her 2 week absence (boy, did that ever fly by!). And I'm glad you're trying to keep a little distance. I do hope that works out.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It has actually been a month since I've been at mom's and you are right did it ever fly by.

You may surprise yourself on the contest and end up with a perfect score. Right now 545 is the top score.

It is just bad publicity to fire the teller.

The thing that surprised me about the survey is adultry often leads to divorce but in the case in doesn't seems weird.

I hope the aha moment comes to you in the contest and always remember the advise I give. Don't make the questions to hard and over think them!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Holding onto my contest entry as, like Pat, I'm waiting for an "ah ha" moment. And it's the simple stuff that's stumping me, mostly. Perfect score, win or not, it's a fun contest.

I'm with you on the bank teller. Maybe a slap on the wrist for ignoring policy, but the guy really ought to be treated as a hero, not fired, for goodness sake!

Never died that I know of. I think they considered Himself dead when he went into cardiac arrest a few hours after the "widow maker" heart attack that should have killed him then and there. He's never really talked about it.

As to adultry and divorce... I suppose adultry among the rich and famous, particularly mistresses, will survive the economic downturn. Adultry among "friends and neighbors" may continue, as an escape from battles over finances and such, among others. Like Pat, I would think that divorces would be up, given finances are often the cause of "irreconcilable differences," but the fact may be that no one can afford the lawyers, the divorce, the issue of supporting two homes for one family?

Hope you enjoy the night with your mom. Yes, it's been a while and I'm glad to hear that you're wroking towards finding a balance where you have time with her and time away from her. Are you going to keep up with the comedy club?

Finally got a call at 4:30 this afternoon that Bro and Mom arrived in Phoenix at 5:00 last evening, after three 11 hour days of driving. Good to know they arrived safely. Mom's spent most of today sleeping and was going back for a nap after she talked with me long enough to let me know they'd arrived, something no one thought of doing until she asked if I'd been called. Adjustments.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You would think that your brother would think to call you as soon as you arrived. Or that Deb would encourage it. That just stinks. I hope you mom recovers quickly from the trip.

Holding on to the contest is probably a good idea. I find it interesting that both you and Pat are having the most trouble on the daily ones, the ones you have the most experience solving.

I remember that instance with Himself and how frigtening it was.

I think you are right that because of the expense of divorce people are avoiding it.

I am going to try to keep up with the comedy class and maybe take a cooking class.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Yes, well, the deal was they'd call each night, when they arrived at their destination. That's always been the family drill, even if the drive was only a day, so the originating party knew all was well. However, given they were doing 11 hour days and time changes, I suppose Lake figured they'd wake us, although why they didn't call last night... too much excitement and too tired, I suppose.

Ah, a cooking class? Please share any *easy and quuck* recipes and tricks you learn? I can use all the incentives for cooking I can find!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I still think it was thoughtless to wait so long to call!

I will share some recipes with you!

Bill