Friday, August 21, 2009

Birth Order

Here is the link to then full article by Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2009/08/11/jobs-and-birth-order/?ncid=AOLCOMMjobsDYNLprim0001&icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fjobs.aol.com%2Farticles%2F2009%2F08%2F11%2Fjobs-and-birth-order%2F%3Fncid%3DAOLCOMMjobsDYNLprim0001

Some highlights:

A look at pay stubs will tell you that not everyone has the same earning power

“Blame it on social class, education -- even luck, but according to Dalton Conley, New York University professor of sociology and public policy, inequality begins at home. In his book 'The Pecking Order: Which Siblings Succeed and Why,' Conley says that 75 percent of the income inequality between individuals in the United States occurs between siblings in the same families. He points to the diverse fortunes of Bill and Roger Clinton, and Jimmy and Billy Carter as examples.

“A child's position in the family impacts his personality, his behavior, his learning and ultimately his earning power," states Michael Grose, author of 'Why First-Born Rule the World and Last-borns Want to Change It.' "Most people have an intuitive knowledge that birth order somehow has an impact on development, but they underestimate how far-reaching and just how significant that impact really is."

Conley concedes that birth order is significant in shaping individual success, but only for children of large families -- four or more siblings -- and in families where finances and parental time are constrained. (In wealthy families, like the Bushes and Kennedys, it has less effect.)

First-Borns:

More conscientious, ambitious and aggressive than their younger siblings, first-borns are over-represented at Harvard and Yale as well as disciplines requiring higher education such as medicine, engineering or law. Every astronaut to go into space has been either the oldest child in his or her family or the eldest boy. And throughout history -- even when large families were the norm -- more than half of all Nobel Prize winners and U.S. presidents have been first-born.

Middles:

Middle children are more easy going and peer-oriented. Since they can get lost in the shuffle of their own families, they learn to build bridges to other sources of support and therefore tend to have excellent people skills. Bill Gates was a middle child.

Youngest:

The youngest child tends to be the most creative and can be very charming -- even manipulative. Because they often they often identify with the underdog, they tend to champion egalitarian causes. (Youngest siblings were the earliest backers of the Protestant Reformation and the Enlightenment.)

Only Children:

Only children have similar characteristics to first-borns and are frequently burdened with high parental expectations. Research shows they are more confident, articulate and likely to use their imagination than other children. They also expect a lot from others, hate criticism, can be inflexible and are likely to be perfectionists.


Where are you in the pecking order? Do you agree with the above? I am the youngest I am not sure I agree with the assessment.. My sister is more creative than I am. And I don’t think I have ever been described as either manipulative or charming. And I am more of a peacemaker than my middle child brother. Where do you land on the sibling scale?

TRIVIA:

YESTERDAY’S WHO AM I?

Yesterday’s Who Am i was a woman that was arrested in the Abraham Lincoln assassination and hanged as a conspirator. Her name was Mary Surratt. You can read her biography here:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/lincolnconspiracy/surrattm.html

TODAY’S BRAIN STUMPER.

Not testing your Google skills today, instead I am going to test your vocabulary. We are doing anagrams today. I am going to give you a set of letters and the person that emails me with the most words made from those letters wins the day.

Here are the letters: LIECNT

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

Our three grands in one family definitely fit those profiles. I'm a youngest (of two) - so somewhere between second and third. John is a middle, and very much like that. His older sister may be more like an older, but his little brother is definitely not like that.

With our four - not so much anywhere along the way. But they were very close in age - only five years between the oldest and youngest.

I had always heard - and found pretty much true - that with groups of kids, oldests tended to play together, seconds with seconds, etc. - regardless of age.

Always interesting.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I always like it when you post.

Interesting about oldest playing with oldest, seconds with seconds.

I find it pretty interesting too.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I've seen these studies and reports before and, while there may be some basis for diffences, I find I don't agree with the overall generalities. For example, I'm the oldest of four, don't consider myself particularly aggressive or ambitious and didn't go for the medical or law route. I consider myself fairly creative and interested in creative pursuits of various kinds, although none of the other kids have any real interest in such.

The two middles do have good people skills. My bro tries to be peace-maker, but is fighting a losing battle within the family, although he does very well in work and social situations.

The youngest is very isolated, considers herself the underdog against the world (not the family, I don't think) and, yes, can be manipulative.

Now, the age spread may have something to do with the dynamics, I suspect. My younger brother is five years younger than I am, so we didn't have a whole lot in common as youngsters. My middle sister is two years younger than he is, so they were pretty close in age. My youngest sister is four and six years younger than the two middles and eleven years younger than I am.

With the exception of the youngest, we all kind of flew the nest after high school, going different directions and on our own. Although I know "they" say the first years of a child set the personality and mold, I don't agree with that. I think the different experiences we had as young adults (16-25 or 30) had a definite effect on the development of personalities and tendencies. Our spouses and locales, and therefore our lifestyles, were all very different and the geographical separation added to that. I would say none of us are the same personalities we were up through high school, with the possible exception of my brother.

Given the age spans, I've always wondered how the youngest's observations of the trials and traumas and triumphs of the three oldest may have affected her attitudes and perspectives.

Pat said...

As an only, I can't say I have a lot of the characteristics the article cites. I wasn't burdened with high parental expectations. I'd have been better off if there had been more of that. I think I am fairly confident and articulate. The confidence depends on the situation, though, and can't be relied upon. I don't think I'm more imaginative than the average person. As to the last sentence, I don't expect a lot of others; everybody hates criticism, including me; I am very flexible and not at all a perfectionist.

My only daughter follows their description more closely than I do by quite a bit, but she is also pretty flexible and I wouldn't describe her as a perfectionist. We did expect a lot of her, but I don't think she felt burdened by it.

I agree with DR about experiences after leaving the nest having a profound effect on the shaping of personality. It certainly worked that way for me.

dona said...

Ok my sister who is the oldest, was nowhere in this category, not ambitious or aggressive and actually spoiled rotten from what I saw....(first)

My brother who was the youngest to my knowledge is not creative or charming...possibly manipulative and from what I saw was also spoiled rotten..(youngest and only boy)

I have an only child and even though I think he is confident, possibly hates criticism (who doesn't?)and is somewhat of a perfectionist I don't feel he was burdened with high parental expectations.

So I don't particularly agree with the assessment either.

Me? I am the middle child and still think I was adopted!

William J. said...

Hi DR

You are extremely creative and I am guessing the most creative in the family.

I think there are so many factors besides the birth order that goes into a persons success. The teachers the get, the bosses they have, the co-workers and so on.

And like you wonder about the youngest, I wonder about the oldest in my family and the middle both whom have isolated themselves from making friends and in many cases the family.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I don't think you have any of the characteristics on an only according to the article.

It is intersting that none of us fit the mold!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Since we were both adopted do we really know where in the birth order we are?

Bill