Monday, August 10, 2009

Daily Trivia Returns, Know Your Presidents

The contest prizes will be mailed out on Wednesday. Since I am really stumped on what to write about today I am going to use something Kaye sent me in email and thank her for helping me out on a day when my creativity is on vacation.

The email was titled "Know Your Presidents." Here goes:

Politics and popular culture go hand in hand. It began in the 1950, when TV entered millions of American homes. Since then, actors keep aspiring to our nation’s highest office. And almost every U.S. President has enjoyed (or endured) a “pop culture” moment that has helped to define his reputation and legacy. How much do you know about politics in pop culture? Take our quiz to find out.

1) Richard Nixon’s first “enemies list” include the name of a genuine rock superstar. Who was it?

a. Fabian
b. Elvis Presley
c. John Lennon
d. Jimi Hendrix

2) Reportedly, Marilyn Monroe had a crush on President John Kennedy, who greatly enjoyed a movie she made with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. That film was:

a. The Misfits
b. Some Like it Hot
c. East of Eden
d. Old Yeller

3) Jimmy Carter confessed to Playboy magazine that he:

a. hated peanuts
b. hated Richard Nixon
c. lusted in his heart
d. mishandled the Iran hostage situation

4) During the 1992 Presidential election, Bill Clinton played the saxophone for which late-night TV host?

a. David Letterman
b. Johnny Carson
c. Arsenio Hall
d. Pat Sajak

5) The movie and TV program M*A*S*H* took place during which President’s administration?

a. FDR
b. JFK
c. William Taft
d. Harry Truman


6) Ronald Reagan once starred in a movie with a chimp whose name was:

a. Mighty Joe Young
b. Bonzo
c. Koko
d. Harpo

7) Who created the unforgettable impersonation of Gerald Ford on Saturday Night Live?

a. Chevy Chase
b. John Belushi
c. Dan Aykroyd
d. Bill Murray


8) Laugh-In was a huge TV hit starting Dan Rowan and Dick Martin. Which President appeared on the show and said “Sock it to me?”

a. Lyndon Johnson
b. Richard Nixon
c. George Bush
d. Gerald Ford

9) President Dwight D. Eisenhower had one recreational passion outside of Miami. It was:

a. eight ball
b. golf
c. jogging
d. gangsta rap

10) The elder President Bush attended Yale, where he posed for a very famous picture. Who else was in it?

a. Lou Gehrig
b. Winston Churchill
c. Harry Truman
d. Babe Ruth

Send me your choices by email. Who is your favorite president? In history, it is Harry Truman. During my lifetime? JFK. Who is your least favorite president: During history. Grant. During my lifetime. Almost all of them.

May this be a presidential day for you!

6 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not sure I have a favorite president. Right at the moment, it's Obama. I was very excited when Clinton got elected, and in general, he was a very good president. JFK was an idol, but he wasn't there long enough. My husband used to say that FDR should have been King.

I can tell you my least favorite without even breathing hard. GWB, of course.

Lady DR said...

Since my mind is pretty much fried tonight (editorial afternoon with beastly ms - 2 dozen characters and no plot by page 153), I'm going to look forward to getting educated with tomorrow's answers. Love the questions.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was going to say W as the worse but I want to see if history tells more about what went on before the war.

FDR should have been king!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

153 pages and no plot? That isn't a book it is a nightmare!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Well, not plot at 153 pages, but I've got at least a couple dozen characters. Now if I could just figure out why they're there and what they're doing... (g)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Maybe he doesn't know who the characters are yet!

I thought writing was:

Plot
Develop Characters
Marry Plot and Characters
Surprise Ending

Bill