Thursday, August 27, 2009

Deodorant And Dead Bodies

Trivia is back. We will be playing “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” the next few days. Today’s questions are at the end of the today’s entry.

Today is Bill gets offensive day. Well not so much me getting offensive but a couple of the stories that I read and thought I would share with you could be considered by some to be offensive.

First up is an infomercial that aired once in the middle of the night on MSNBC. Now due to the content of the commercial MSNBC has said the commercial will never air again. The commercial is for A-Spray, a deodorant for butt stink. As quoted on the commercial: "A-Spray goes where other deodorants can't. A-Spray your butt," the announcer boasts. "A-Spray under your arms. A-Spray your feet. You can even A-Spray your privates." At the end of the commerical a woman is shown crossing her legs and sparying her crotch, followed by the line. "A-Spray is safe for all your odor zones." Doc Bottoms A-Spray sells for two containers for $14.95 plus $ 7.95 shipping for each container. You can also get the “Pocket Shot” which according to the commercial is “Perfect for on the go or to give to smelly friend.” OK, I think I just came up with an unusual idea for a Christmas gift.

Next up are dead bodies. According to today’s Oregonian which you can read at oregonlive.com the economy has resulted in changes in many areas, one being that there are more unclaimed bodies. Oregon is apparently reflecting a national trend and could hit a record for the number of unclaimed bodies this year. Oregon State medical examiner, Dr. Karen Gunson, attrributes the rise to the recessionary drag on family wallets. If the current rate of unclaimed bodies holds up Oregon will have paid for the disposition of 246 people in 2009, 13 more than the previous record set in 2003. Oregon is the only state that pays to cremate the unclaimed bodies from a special fund that collects six dollars from the twenty dollar fee that funeral providers pay to register the death with the state. The other forty-nine states pay for unclaimed bodies from county or state taxes. For example, officials with the Los Angeles County coroner’s office say the number of unclaimed bodies is up thirty-six percent over last year. LA County needs to come up with an additional twelve grand A MONTH to pay for the unclaimed bodies. Similar stories have arisen in such diverse places as Las Vegas, Kenton County, KY, and Chapel Hill, N.C.

Are going to run right out and by Doc Bottoms A-Spray either for yourself or as a gift? Should the commercial never be shown again on TV? And what about dead bodies? A lot of unclaimed ones in your area? Hiding any in your garage?

TODAY’S WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE

$100

Which of these garments is commonly worn atop other clothing for warmth?

a. overcoat
b. boxer shorts
c. T-shirt
d. slippers

$200

Which of these popular fast-food items has the same name as a term meaning “big lie”?

a. McNugget
b. Whopper
c. Frosty
d. Chalupa

$300

According to notable public service announcement, “Friends Don’t Let Friends” do what?

a. Drive Drunk
b. Insult Wrestlers
c. Eat Rocks
d. Juggle Chain Saws

$500

What does the letter A stand for in the military abbreviation “MIA”?

a. American
b. Army
c. Action
d. Attack

$1,000

Someone described as an excellent “elocutionist” excels at doing what?

a. Repairing electronics
b. Polling voters
c. Tutoring children
d. Public speaking

10 comments:

Pat said...

Fascinating news clips there, Bill. I don't think I'll invest in Doc Bottoms. Until I hear otherwise, I think I'm doing just fine with Dove deodorant for my pits and daily showers. I think the commercial should remain on tv for the amusement of the viewers and perhaps as a source of fodder for discussion.

I must also answer in the negative on dead bodies on the premises, though I did once find the skeleton of a long-defunct rat in the garage.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

LOL at your comment.

I am relieved they are only mousy bodies in your garage.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Well, Ick on the commercial. I think we spend too much time and money on ads for products the general public doesn't need to see. I can remember, years ago, the guys from So Africa and Wales coming over here and being absolutely appalled by the "personal hygiene" billboards out there for everyone, including children to see.

As to the dead bodies... I wonder if there's any support for the theory on the recession and people not being able to afford funerals. That's doesn't work for me. I'd be more inclined to think we may have more homeless and street people dying, with no one even know where they are, quite frankly. Call me naive, but I can't imagine a family knowing a member was dead and leaving them to be cremated and disposed of by the city or county.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I actually think there is support for both the homeless theory of yours and for the economy theory.

What would you do if you were completely broke? You lost your job two years ago. You are behind on your/house rent payments. Your savings is depleted. Now you have to come up with at least a couple of grand for a relative that you really aren't close to but are the only surviving relative. There are of a lot of people today in just that situation. And some of the unclaimed bodies my have been homeless and estranged from the family.

As to the commercials I think they go overboard on the personal commercials here, erectile dysfunction, constipation etc. However, I must admit I did think the butt stink commercial was funny.

Bill

Mary said...

Friends don't let friends vote Republican! Hee!

Honestly, while I feel bad for the people who can't afford to claim bodies, I can't get too worked up over it. When I am done with my body, I don't much care what happens to it. If I had to choose between feeding my kids and dealing with a dead body, I'd feed my kids. I am glad the state is there as a safety net.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I wouldn't have a friend that was a Republican, I am stuck with a few relatives that are and that is enough.

I do worry about my body, I want to be cremated and the ashes spread on the doors of the IRS, with a note to "Kiss my Ash"

Bill

Unknown said...

LOL your last comment, Bill. You are hilarious.

The Aids support group here does get the occasional request from the hospital to sign out the body of an Aids patient because the family won't have anything to do with him/her, the disease is still very ostracised here. It's not happened lately nor much, but it's happened before.

William J. said...

Hi Snug

That is really sad about the attitude of aids but I am glad it is improving there!

Bill

dona said...

This is all too funny a post, Bill. Although I have not seen the Butt Stink commercial...It sounds kinda icky, and I am sure I would not purchase any, but then again I am sure I would have laughed at it.

This topic was funny as I was just thinking about how you would bury a loved one if you had no money. I remember my mother and 3 of her sisters once when I was young driving off to Tennessee where my uncle(their brother) had died and he was being buried by the State.
But it seems as though I have went to many a funeral in my life and so I never thought about it too much before the other day when I heard about the mother of a lady I know, dying and I know she would have no way to bury her. So I can understand to a degree of the unclaimed bodies.
And I think I agree with Mary... I would feed my kids first.


As to bodies hiding out in the garage? Uhh, no garage to speak of...but there might be some in the basement...we try to NEVER go down there....there is an odd smell...(remember, we are only occupants here..)

I love your sense of humor Bill..haha "kiss my ash"!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I have no doubt after a state of shock I would have laughed at the commercial. But I am not so sure I would buy the product.

That is kind side about the mother of the lady you know. And I agree with both you and Mary, kids come first.

You don't go down into your basement? Is there a freezer down there?

I am glad we have the same sense of humor? My sister from another mother.

Bill