Sunday, August 23, 2009

Update Me, Duplex Marriages.

No Trivia for the next couple of days, I need a break from it. The answers to yesterday’s three of a kind are at the end of the blog entry. Today the blog is yours. Update me on your life. Your wants and desires. Events attended or attending. Trouble or joys going on in your life. How your elderly relatives or your children are doing. Vent if you desire. Scream joys at the top of your lungs if you so desire. If you have been reading the blog for a while and haven’t posted yet, why not? Introduce yourself and make some really outstanding friends. The same applies if you are new to the blog, introduce yourself and tell me how you found me.

It was really nice to see a post from Snug this week. She posted a brief update in the comment section of the August 20 post, “What’s For Dinner? Vices”. You can catch up with her there or post a welcome back to her here.

I pretty much updated you on my life each day this week but the one thing that I left out was a dinner that I had on Tuesday night with one of my favorite people. I met her online several years ago and she has become a treasured friend. She is the one that went to my dad’s memorial to support me. She was also the one that when the internet date from hell happened saved me by visiting the lady from hell in the hospital so I didn’t have to. We caught up on a family reunion of hers that she had put together. She spent a lot of time working on it and was worried it would go well. Over one hundred people attended it and it went off with flying colors. I knew she was to worried about how it would go for nothing. I met her at Newport Bay in Tigard at 6 PM. She says that is early for her and she never gets off of work that early. For me that is late. By 6 PM I usually have eaten an hour or so earlier. By that time I am in my comfy clothes, have one leg in my comfy chair, and the other leg in my comfy bed with remote control in hand. Among things we discussed was my idea of a duplex marriage.

There have been a lot of articles lately that have said more couples are choosing to sleep in separate beds. One statistic in one article that I read said three in ten couples are choosing to sleep in either separate beds or separate bedrooms. Maybe one person snores. Maybe one person gets up and goes to the bathroom more often then the other. Maybe one person likes to watch TV in bed and the other prefers reading. The studies have shown that sleeping separately has not only in most cases improved their sex lives but also has improved their marriages. Here are some links to articles about this:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/151874/married_couples_sleeping_apart.html?cat=7

marriage.about.com/od/sleepingtogether/qt/twinbeds.htm

http://marital-conflict-negotiation.suite101.com/article.cfm/should_spouses_sleep_separately

As I have a penchant to do I took this to a whole new level. I took it to buying a duplex. She lives on one side. I live on the other side. You put a door in between the two sides of the duplex (yes, she can lock it when she wants). She has her own space. I have my own space. You have a communal bedroom for date nights and for needing comforting nights. You are there to constantly support each other. You make sure you have at least one meal a day together to talk life over. You get together when ever the mood strikes. Maybe walk together in the morning. Or maybe coffee together on the patio outside. Could work, no? What do you think of a duplex marriage? Would it work in your case?

OK, now I need help. Or maybe I am beyond help. I know this is going to cause me to lose several notches on my man belt because I am going to ask for directions. I’ve been trying for six months now to figure out how to put a link into the middle of the blog entry where readers only have to click on the link to go to the site. No matter what I try it doesn’t seem to work. There is a button on the new post feature that says “insert link” but when I put the link in the box that shows up and hit OK, the link disappears and doesn’t show up on the blog entry. OK, Google bloggers tell me what to do to get that link to show up in a manner that readers can just click on the link to go to the site.

YESTERDAY’S ANSWERS

Herbie, The Ice Cream Man, Reverend Leroy, Geraldine Jones. FLIP WILSON.

A kiss, a flower, a bomb. ALL ARE PLANTED

A belt, a bra, a bank robber. ALL HOLD THIJNGS UPS.

LIGHTENTING, WATCHERS, STRANGERS. Dean Koontz Novels.

Radula, Tentacle, Ink Sac. OCTUPUS OR SQUID.

14 comments:

Pat said...

I like the idea of a duplex marriage. At this stage of my life, it's the only kind I might begin to consider, all other things being right, and lotsa luck on that.

Or wait, a duplex might be a little too close. Separate homes a few miles apart and a once or twice a week marriage might suit me. He'd have to have email and like to eat out. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I have email, like to eat out, and might live far enough away for you.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Snug, welcome back! I missed your comment the 20th and have been wondering if all was well. Get the Luddite off his duff and get your cable (g).

Bill, duplex marriages... not sure that would work for me/us. Fortunately, neither of us snores a lot and I sleep like a rock most nights, so bathroom trips aren't an issue. Now, if we didn't have a king-sized bed, that might be a different story... 'sides, we spend enough time away from each other during the day, with work and other activities. Not sure we'd ever see each other if we had separate bedrooms (wry s). OTOH, I have a number of friends and acquaintances who have separate bedrooms and swear it's the best thing they've done for their marriage. As to an actual duplex... why get married?

Btw, it would be great if you could figure out how to make the links work within the blog.

My week. Work, pool, line dance. At the jam session, I could tell someone was horribly out of tune and discovered it was me! Couldn't bring the electric strat into tune. The guys fiddled with it, hummed and sighed, muttered about missing springs and lowered inputs and sent me off to a luthier (guitar repair). Jeff did a complete setup for a very reasonable price, changed/
fixed/altered a bunch of stuff and it's like having a new guitar, much more comfortable and fun to play, so I've actually practiced every day since I got it back. Finished a couple short projects, fired a client, still have requests coming in almost every day, am scheduled through October and beyond. Snug, one of the clients is in Singapore. Am even contemplating a ghostwrite (which I said I'd never do again) from a guy in AK. He's going to have to answer an awful lot of questions with the "right" answers before I commit. Mom seems to be doing well. Haven't talked to her since Sunday, will call tonight, after the Cubs game is over. Continuing to catch up on lots of nagging things that were neglected the past several months and that feels good.

redwhistle said...

There is a book called-"Older Couples New Romances" that describes many unconventional unions including one like Pat mentioned where they both live in separate houses on a cul de sac and others where they live miles apart. If you can't find the book and want to read it I think I still have mine and I can share it if you want it. As far as the link goes I would help but don't know anything about the Blogger platform as my blog is on WordPress and very easy to do. You can actually transfer your Blogger blog to a WordPress blog--both are free. I find WordPress very easy to use.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Not only did Snug give us an update look right down from your post Redwhistle just posted! I was wondering about both of them.

The reason you want want to marry your duplex partner is for legal reasons. This is the woman you love and want to spend most your waking hours with. So you would want to provide for her and her children in case of your demise unless of course if your demise was caused by her.

Mary Z and Dona both send me emails to help with the link. I am going to try there advise the next time a link comes up.

That must have been kind of embarassing to find out it was you out of tune! But that is the time when you find out who your friends really are.

You are no doubt one of the best editors in the business which is why you are scheduled for October and beyond and why it doesn't surprise me that you are schedule out that far.

Did you Snug was an editor too? She has a blog too. Go to the 20th comment file, click on her profile and click on her link to her blog. Then if you need to share things about Singapore you can post a message.

Don't tell you Mom but I am rooting for the Dodgers against the Cubs today.

Bill

William J. said...

RED!!!!!!

So damn good to hear from you, been wondering how you are doing!

I already did an Amazon.com search and ordered the book. I definitely want to read it.

Hope all is well with you!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Well, yes, it was a bit embarassing to discover I was the one out of tune and very frustrating to discover the issues with guitar and embarassing again to take time away from the jam session, but this is such a great group, they all sent me emails commiserating and wishing me luck with the luthier.

I had no idea Snug was an editor! Gee, maybe we can compare horror sotries, Snug!

As to the Cubs and Dodgers -- traitor!

William J. said...

Hi DR

But, but, but I have been a Dodger fan since the first grade, four hundred and fifty years ago.

Yes Snugh works for one of the newspapers in Singapore!

Bill

Bev Sykes said...

On duplex marriages, I would love that. It would work well for us.

As for my plans for today, I am meeting some friends from grammar school whom I have not seen for about 50 years. We are having lunch together--and hoping we'll recognize one another.

And to add a link, when you are inputting your information you highlight the text that you want to be linked and click on the symbol above that looks like an infinity sign (I guess it's supposed to look like chain links). That brings up a separate box that asks for the URL of the link and you enter that there. When you click "OK" the box disappears and you'll see that the text you highlighted has changed color and is now underined. When you publish your entry, it will be a live link. Good luck!

(E-mail me if you have any problems with this)

William J. said...

Hi There Blog Mentor BeV

Thanks for the email and the graphics.

I am really excited about your reunion with people that you haven't seen for fifty years. I would love to hear about how it goes so if you write it about it on your blog makes sure you post a link here.

Bill

Pat said...

LOL! at your comment, Bill. I perhaps should have put a maximum distance on those requirements. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Maybe a thousand miles.

Bill

Unknown said...

Hello, LadyDR, I'm a newspaper subeditor, actually, and I work for a financial daily called The Business Times (http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/).

William J. said...

Hi Snug

It is so good to see you more often!

Thanks for the link.

Bill