Saturday, August 15, 2009

Have I Got Some Business Ideas For You

As I was trying to figure out what to write about today I was cruising the Internet and found a list of the weirdest businesses in America.
To read a complete list of the businesses you can go here:

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/features/weirdest-businesses?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl2|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fsmallbusiness.aol.com%2Ffeatures%2Fweirdest-businesses

Here are the top 10:

CUDDLE PARTY
Location: New York City

Runs events at which adults "explore communication, boundaries, and affection" by donning pajamas and getting physical. Ix-nay on the naughty stuff.

ALIBI NETWORK
Location: Chicago

In a perfect world, you wouldn't have to lie to your wife/boss/parents about your whereabouts Friday night. In an imperfect world, these guys have your back.

HAPPYBALLS.COM
Location: Cumming, Georgia

A million-dollar company that makes a single product: foam balls for car aerials.

BAREFOOTLIST.COM
Location: Salt Lake City

Members create and track lists of things they want to achieve before they die.

CLIMAX GENTLEMEN'S CLUB
Location: New Alexandria, Pennsylvania

Drive-through strip joint.

AFTERLIFE TELEGRAMS
Location: New Athens, Illinois

Service for contacting the dead. Terminally ill patients memorize messages and deliver them when opportunity permits.

ENTHEM
Location: San Francisco

Writes full-length corporate theme songs. The ultimate in hold music!

FETAL GREETINGS
Location: Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Creates pregnancy announcements that purportedly come from the womb

GAMING-LESSONS
Location: Jupiter, Florida

Video-game-coaching services. Offers "world-class instruction" in Halo 2.

HEART ATTACK GRILL
Location: Chandler, Arizona

Menu features a quadruple bypass burger, flatliner fries ("deep fried in PURE LARD!"), and Jolt cola. Also available: unfiltered cigarettes

OK, now come on and fess up. Which one of these businesses intrigues you? Which one of these businesses upset you the most? Which one of these businesses would you be likely to invest in?

My choices: Barefootlist.com intrigues me. Afterlife Telegrams and Climax Gentlemen’s Clun equally bother me. Afterlife because it just seem lik it is taking advantage of vulnerable people. The Gentlemen’s Club because I hate the name, hate the idea, and I don’t want to have to dodge cars being driven buy men with woodies when I am on the road. Cuddle Party is the one that I would consider investing in because it seems like it might help people on some level. OK, your turn!

ON TO TRIVIA:

Yesterday’s answers:

Superman, Narrow Margin, Mississippi Burning besides being movies or books. Gene Hackman movies.

The mad decade, The Age of Red-Hot Mamas, The Jazz Age. Terms to describe the roaring twenties.

Sir Henry Morgan, William Kidd, Jean Laffite. Pirates.

A weak battery, a matador, a crime suspect. All are charged.

A snow storm in Florida, A hula hoop with a nail in it, and The USS Adams. Naval or navel destroyers.

Today’s questions:

Vandella, IMAN, Paulina.

The Monster, Phantom of The Opera, London After Midnight. Other than being movies or plays.

Fleet, Vice, Rear.

Moses, Superman, Cabbage Patch Dolls.

Macaw, Toucan, Cockaiel

6 comments:

Pat said...

Oboy. Some list. I'm so boring that the only one that interests me is HAPPYBALLS.

None of them really aggravate me, though several hit my "unpleasant" button, notably the drive-through strip joint and the alibis for hire. Anyone gullible enough for an afterlife telegram deserves what they get.

I might visit the heart attack grill. Once.

I wouldn't invest actual money in any of them, but if I had to choose one, it would probably be the gaming lessons.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I loved your answer!

I don't know if I would visit the heart attack grill or not.

The alibi one doesn't bother me for the same reason that the afterlife doesn't bother you. Anyone dumb enough to believe a trumped up alibi, deserves what they get!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bill, I have to go with your picks and comments on the "businesses." I don't see anything there I'd be willing to invest in and I think I'd rather do a Cuddle Party one on one, rather than in a group (g).

William J. said...

Hi DR

I don't know a group dressed in pajamas learnng how to communicate kind of does interest me but then I am OK with there just being two, me and the woman of my dreams.

Bill

dona said...

What a list! None seem to be anything I would be interested in.

I did see the Heart Attack Grill on a TV series about restaurants not too long ago. I couldn't believe they way the sandwiches looked. They really looked good and had my taste buds wishing to travel there to give it a try, but then also they did seem a bit too greasy too...(go figure) It was all a bit weird..the cook or maybe the owner was dressed in doctor gear and all the waitresses were in nurse uniforms and took your blood pressure after or during your eating. Kinda funny but a bit over the top. Guess that is why you found it on your list!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You must watch the travel channel too!

Everything that is bad for you always looks and tastes good!

The lift kind of amazed me that anyone would even consider some of those businesses!

Bill