Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Contest Notes, A Joy, A Connection, Passing The Lab Test!

The answers to the contest and the winner of the contest will be announced tomorrow at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time. If you haven't entered the contest yet you can still send me your entries and they will be graded but you can't compete for the gift cards. You will, however, receive one of the consolation prizes. Everyone that enters will receive 2010 Oregon Calendar. A couple of notes about the contest. There were two perfect entries. I thought everyone had missed one question when actually most of you got it right. The problem was that the answer according to my source was one name and the ones that most of you answered was another name. However, the person had several alias and both the name you answered and the name I had were the same exact person. I threw out two questions because the questions were misleading. One was a Trivial Pursuit Question that just wasn't correct in the way the question was worded. I also through out one of the three of a kind questions because it was also wrong in the way it was phrased. If I have future contests I probably will just develop the questions myself rather than to use other sources.

Wanted to say way to go former President Clinton. It is such a joy to see reporters Laura Ling and Euna Lee reunite with their families after being released from a North Korean prison. It is just such a touching site it makes me tear up a bit.

This Sunday in The Oregonian on the Sports Page the listed the twenty-five most influential people in Oregon sports. Of course Phil Knight head honcho of Nike was number one but the one that impressed me the most was number seventeen on the list. Sarah was a client of mine before I sold my business the first time. She is s very beautiful woman and obviously talented. She is still a client of the two guys that bought my business the second time. It was kind of weird because I felt a connection to her when I read her name on the list. You can view the entire list here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/08/phil_knights_influence_continu.html

A note about the results of my blood test that I got yesterday. My thyroid test came back normal. This is a great example of how you can work together with your doctor to develop a plan that you both are comfortable with. When I had an abnormal thyroid result in April the first reaction of medical personnel is to immediately put you on medication. Medication that once you started taking you would be one the rest of your life. Because every test up to that time was normal I suggested to the doctor that they wait to put me on medication and take another test in ninety days. Then if that test was abnormal I would relunctly go on medication. After the April appointment I read some things on the Internet about thyroids. Then I started taking vitamin B-12. I was so pleased about the result of the test yesterday! No the doctor is working with me to see if I can get off of some other medication. Thanks for you good thougts and prayers.

Hope this test brings you joys and that you pass all the tests you take today!

3 comments:

Lady DR said...

Wow, two perfect scores! I'm impressed. Interesting about discovering your sources had some errors, but you DID say that the answers would be graded, based on your original resources. After announcing the winners, will you let us know which questions you threw out?

Like you, I was so happy to see the two journalists released and reunited with family. Interesting about the connection to the lady in the sports list ... you've certainly met some interesting people during your years in business!

Good job on questioning the doctor about options. And great news that he's now looking at whether there are some other medications you can get rid of. I'll hold good thoughts that's the case.

We've been talking traffic ... today was annoying and scary. On the way to LD, I'm sitting at an intersection with a green arrow for left turns, but you can turn on a "regular" green, if there's no traffic coming. I watched four cars go through the yellow and red light. The car ahead of me turned left after the light turned red. A cop was sitting on the opposite side of the intersection, first in line, when this happened. Cop did nothing. Two hours later, same intersection, a truck is out in the intersection, waiting to make a left turn as the light turns yellow (okay, iffy on his part), when a car from the opposite direction runs the red light and they came within an ace of a nasty collision. What is it with people? I always thought yellow means slow down to stop, not punch the accelerator and race through. And what's with the cop ignoring an obvious infraction, since he turned right and followed the first mentioned car, but never stopped him?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I did say my answers would be the right ones. But it just didn't seem fair when there were two better answers on one question than the official one and on the other one several people stayed away from the right answer because of the way the question was worded. It didn't seem fair to the people that had the right answer according to the source to give the other answers credit and it didn't seem fair to the ones that had better answers not to give them credit. So it just seemed fairest to throw out the questions. Throwing out the questions didn't change the result of the contest.

The type of confusion is the one of the reasons why I probably won't do anymore contests here and if I do have a contest it will be one where you only have two hours to answer. But I am leaning towards not having them.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I forgot to mention the traffic experience. I live near a major intersection and sometiems a motorcycle cop will hide near there just to get red light runners but he will ignore some of them. Seems they should ticket all of them.

Here yellow light means go like hell to get through the light before it turns red.

Bill