Monday, August 31, 2009

I Survived. Looking Back.

I view dating a lot like I view getting my haircut. When I go on a date I am not going on a date looking for someone to adopt or someone that I have to burp once in a while. I am looking for someone fun and intelligent. I will go as low as forty-five but really prefer an extremely young thinking woman fifty or older. Same with getting a haircut. When I want someone to cut my hair I am not looking for someone to adopt or to chew gum in my ear. I am looking for someone old enough to relate to my wants and desires and maybe someone that will make me look younger than my age but not to much younger.

I braved the waters and went to the salon early this morning and survived. The lady that was up in the rotation was a young looking and young acting fifty-four year old. Bingo. The dice worked. I think she did a pretty good job. Maybe not quite a short as I like but short enough. I still miss Sandy but this was a good enough experience that I think I can exist without Sandy until December when she returns.

The kind of trouble I had separating from my barber really brought home to me why my clients had a very hard time separating from me when I sold my business. Most of my clients had been with me for over twenty years. They all thought I was to young to retire. They didn’t want anyone else to be their accountant. What goes around comes around. I now wish I had been a bit more understanding when I received calls begging me to continue to be their accounant. My standard answer was I really love you, enjoyed the years that we spent together but truthfully I didn’t retire from doing tax returns to do tax returns. Now I wish I would have been kinder, gentler and better at smoothing things over than I was. Maybe I should have sat in on more interviews during the adjustment period. But you can’t have time back. I will just beg for forgiveness in my next visit to the chapel.

Have you ever had an experience that made you look back and wish you had done things differently? May this be a kind and gentle day for you.

TRIVIA

Yesterday’s answers: Mouth, It, Monkeyshine, Slot Machine & Place.

TODAY’S WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE

DISCLAIMER: THE MONEY MENTIONED IS IMAGINARY MONEY ONLY MEANT TO DEFINE THE DIFFICULTITY OF THE QUESTION AND NOT MEANT TO IMPLY IT AS A PRIZE FOR GETTING THE RIGHT ANSWER.

$2,000

In 1970, four students were killed by National Guardsmen during a Vietnam War protest at which of the following U.S. universities?

a. Columbia
b. University of Michigan
c. Kent State
d. UC Berkeley

$4,000

In the 1999 movie The Talented Mr. Ripley, where does Rom Ripley travel to locate Dickie Greenleaf?

a. Italy
b. France
c. Spain
d. England

$8,000

Kalamata and Picholine are popular varieties of what food?

a. figs
b. olives
c. coconuts
d. plums

$16,000

Which of these companies has used the ad slogan, “Moving at the speed of business?"

a. FedEx
b. U.S. Postal Service
c. DHL
d. UPS

$32,000

In the book and movie The Bridges of Madison County, Robert Kincaid is a photographer for what magazine?
a. National Geographic
b. Life
c. Time
d. Newsweek

And a bonus question. Februaries of 1809, 1847, 1866, 1885, 1915, 1934, 1961, and 1999 all had an event related to astronomy, name what that event was that won’t happen again until February of 2018.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Glad your experience with a new stylist was an agreeable one. But sorry I won't see you with blue spiked hair.

Have I had an experience I wish I could go back and correct? Only a few thousand times. I'll give you one. I was questioned for jury service in chambers during voir dire for a case that involved possible child molestation. The defense attorney happened to be blind. I was asked whether I believed children could lie. I replied that of course, children lied all the time, but my own particular daughter had been very bad at it as a kid. I got a laugh on that one, but then I had to put my foot in my mouth by continuing that I could always tell by the look on her face...

I've wished many times that I could have quit when I was ahead on that one.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

What an absolutely great story!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Glad you didn't end up with a twenty-somethng sylist, spiked hair and green tints (g).

Experiences I wish I'd handled differently? Like Pat, only about a thousand, maybe, what with hindsight being 20/20.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm glad I am not the only here to have regrets!

And I am also glad I didn't end up with spiked hair.

Bill