Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Millionaire Only Day

Today because I am really busy getting ready for the eleven men and one woman being idot football season kickoff party tonight, there won't be a blog entry today other than playing Who Wants To Be A Millionaire! Tomorrow there will be a complete run down of tonight's party.

Before the trivia I just wanted to wish Pat, any other LA readers here, and all the residents in the Los Angeles area good luck and pray that they will all stay safe from the fires. I'm sure if you wanted to send good thoughts, good vibes, prayers if you belive in prayers, for the fires to get under control and under control fast they would be appreciated!

Answers to yesterday's Millionaire: Kent State, Italy, olives, UPS, and National Geographic. On the bonus question those were months without a full moon. Because of the way the calendar works February is the only month that can go without a full moon.

The question for the day is do you ever obssess with worry over events or parties that you are in charge of? Do you worry so much that things will go wrong that you need blood pressure medicine and you need it now?

TODAY’S WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE

DISCLAIMER: THE MONEY MENTIONED IS IMAGINARY MONEY ONLY MEANT TO DEFINE THE DIFFICULTITY OF THE QUESTION AND NOT MEANT TO IMPLY IT AS A PRIZE FOR GETTING THE RIGHT ANSWER.

$64,000

Which of these Spanish explorers sought the fabled “Seven Cities of Gold”?

a. Ponce de Leon
b. Balboa
c. Magellan
d. Coronado

$125,000

Before forming the band Captain & Tennille, Daryl Dragon was the keyboard player for what rock group?

a. The Eagles
b. The Beach Boys
c. Steely Dan
d. Deep Purple

$250,000

What European capital lies on both banks of the Vistula River?

a. Warsaw
b. Budapest
c. Vilnius
d. Sarajevo

$500,000

Which of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse carries a set of scales?

a. Pestilence
b. War
c. Famine
d. Death

$1,000,000

Which of these is a “perfect number”?

a. 5
b. 14
c. 54
d. 28

And a bonus question. Mom and I sometimes will watch Jeopardy together and we did last night. This was the Findal Jeoparday question last night which all three contestants missed. However, yours truly got it right and didn't use Google. Can you get this question right without using Google?

Elvis Presley won three grammys but none of them were in rock and roll, can you name the genre the grammys were in?

10 comments:

Pat said...

To answer your question of the day, absolutely. That's why I never entertain. What I obsess about is not so much the food or the people's interaction, but what is the state of my house, and whether I should even have anyone inside before I get a paint job, a cleaning crew, and new carpet.

Oh, yes, I know that nobody cares and that people will only feel better about their own houses after being in mine, but I obsess anyway. And things usually turn out fine when I'm forced to do it.

I'm sure you'll do a great job and that your party will be a huge success, so relax. {G}

dona said...

Good Thoughts, good vibes coming the way of all the LA Readers you have and I pray they will all stay safe.

Obsessing over events or parties that I give? Well for one I don't do it anymore. (not my home and no room!) But when I did have my own place, it didn't bother me. I loved having family or anyone over for that matter.
I like to cook/make snacks/bake so it was all fun. I miss it.

But I do hear you on getting ready and worrying about certain things. Like I said it has been at least 6 years for me and now...who knows I just might obsess about it now!

Don't worry so much I am sure it will be great and you and your guests will have a fun time.

BTW, I loved your final question.... I am a huge Elvis fan. :)

Lady DR said...

Joining the others in sending prayers and vibes to the folks in LA, including the firefighters and volunteers risking life and limb.

Obsessing over entertaining -- used to. Then, when it got to be something I did often for Star and such, I kinda developed a system and a few no-fail recipes. 'Course, I also had a regular cleaning routine and no dogs that shed (wry s). Now, if you can't write your name in the dust, the bathroom is scoured and I do a quick vacuum sometime in the 24 hours before someone's due, I figure I'm good. Still have the no-fail recipes. We do little entertaining, especially compared to what we did in FL. Most of it is last minute and a couple of Himself's buds or one couple at a time (space issues). I could do a buffet or open house, if I wanted or needed to. For Mom's big "do," I relied on catering from Bilo and Walmart (g). I only twitch when we have a bunch show up at the RV at a hamfest and I can't make a dash to the grocery.

Hey, Dona, nice to see another big Elvis fan.

Sian said...

Sending good vibes to the LA region. And to you Bill for all your entertaining (on all levels!!). I no longer obsess about entertaining - not that I do much. But I just keep things simple on the food front - some home made soup and bread (breadmaker) a few sandwiches, and then fresh fruit, cheese, coffee and stuff. Otherwise I feel as if I'm spending most of my time "catering" and not enjoying the company!

And sorry I don't post much - I do check in regularly to see how things are with you Bill, and others too.

Having been an "orphan" now for over 15 years it's hard for me to remember what it was like having an elderly parent. But I DO remember it could be tough and I would veer from guilt to the verge of "homicide"....... so you all have my sympathy!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is the reason I seldom have parties at my house. When the women and Walt from S-16 came to my house I was a nervous wreck for days. So I completely understand your worry.

I think the party was a great success only one person said anything but all the food was gone so they must have enjoyed. I hade enough food for thirty people,twelve were there, they are huge.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I am glad you enjoyes the Elvis question, maybe some day we will have an Elvis trivia day!

I bet you did great at giving parties, I bet you were the ultimate entertainer.

It was a good evening, will report on it some time tomorrow, probably in the afternoon.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I didn't know you were a huge
Elvis fan!

I am glad you morphed into a non worry entertainer! I am sure with your crafting and creative skills you parties go off without a hitch!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Sian

I just enjoy you posting whenever you can. You are one of the busiest people I know. Living on an island is hard!

And as long as there is this blog and/or Section 16, you will never be an orphan!

In entertaining, simple is always the best! Interesting sandwiches and fresh fruit is what I did!
others too.

Bill

dona said...

Hey Bill, glad the party went well. I knew it would.

DR, Glad to hear I have a comrade here. Too Cool!

And Sian...I can't believe you said just how I am starting to feel most days...(Guilt to the verge of Homicide) It feels better to know there are others out there.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You have nothing to feel guilty about, repeat after me:

"I have nothing to feel guilty about."

At least ten times then write on the blackboard at least fifty times.

Bill