Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Good In The Bad.

There are some good things about a bad economy. In an article in Today's Oregonian by Scott Learn of The Associated Press it was stated that Oregonians have generated less trash. We threw out less garbage and increased our recycling. According to the article we threw out 9% less trash than we did last year. While the decrease in construction caused some of the decline the decline was across the board and we consumed less. The recycling increased as due to the economy we were less likely to throw out stuff and more likely to reuse things.

Another positive result of a bad economy is that grocery prices are down. According to an article written by Emily Fredrix and Sarah Skidmore of the Associated Press that I found on PalmBeachPost.com. "Falling prices for gasoline and transportation plus consumer resistance to price increases have helped drive this latest spiral downward." Prices for milk, eggs, bread, butter and other staples were all down. The cost for meats, fruits and vegetables also declined. According to the article prices of food meant to be eaten at home have fallen for the seventh time in eight months.

What is going on in your area and with you personally? Are the grocery prices going down in your area? Are you using less garbage and recycling more?

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answers: Nader, Firestone, Vijay Singh, The Queen Mother, and Pyongyang.

TODAY LET'S PLAY DOUBLE JEOPARDY

DISCLAIMER: THE MONEY MENTIONED IS IMAGINARY MONEY ONLY MEANT TO DEFINE THE DIFFICULTITY OF THE QUESTION AND NOT MEANT TO IMPLY IT AS A PRIZE FOR GETTING THE RIGHT ANSWER.

The Category is First Things First.

$400

Speaking to World War I Troops in 1919, this man became the first U.S. president to make a radio broadcast.

$800

After being bitten by a dog in 1885, Joseph Meister became the first person innoculated against this.

$1,200

Some consider German King Otto The Great, crowned in 962, the first of these central European "emperors."

$1,600

Ernest Poole became the first novelist to win this prize, on 6-3-1918

$2,000

The Garden Court was the site of the official 1945 banquet honoring the opening session of this organization.

8 comments:

Pat said...

I've been recycling everything recyclable for some years now, so nothing has changed recently in my house.

I read that grocery prices are going down, but don't seem to see it in my own weekly bill. However, since I only shop for one most of the time, I'm not very conscious of minor price fluctuations. I don't see reductions on my staple items as yet.

Back to yesterday... I forgot to congratulate you on that all-important second date. Hey, if the lady likes jeans, wear jeans.

I did catch up with Top Chef from last week and caught this week's show. I don't have a favorite as yet, but wasn't sorry to see who left last night, as it makes me a little nervous to watch people with rings in their lips.

Barbara Padilla may well win AGT, but I'm a little sceptical. She has a terrific voice, and she does a good job with it, but the contest is aimed at being a Vegas act, and I don't quite see her as that. It'll be interesting to see what happens, and I imagine all the ones who are doing well in the finals will have career boosts, whether they win this competition or not.

Meanwhile, I saw the first auditions of So You Think You Can Dance, which I like better than DWTS. The auditions have the usual complement of why-do-they-even-try wannabees, but they also get some amazing dancers, and the show becomes very professional as it progresses.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I used to shop for one but now since I shop for two households and in one case spending someone's else's money I am pretty aware of prices and they have gone down. Milk in particular.

Don't have to worry about jeans after two dates with me, she went back to her ex-husband. Happens a lot with me, after a date or two they ran back to their ex.

I agree with you about rings in their lips. That person should have been gone a long time ago.

I actually think as Las Vegas acts go the five sisters are probably the best fit. But like my sister and I were talking that just like you said no matter what happens Padilla will no doubt be recruited by various operas and the Texas Tenors will cut a record deal.

I've never watch SYTYCD before but will have to catch, when is it on?

Bill

Lady DR said...

We've always recycled papers and household goods go to charity shops and such so, like Pat that hasn't changed much. I haven't seen our grocery prices much reduced, although I've shopped the "card" specials and "buy one get one free" specials for years, as well as using coupons. I have noticed that produce isn't going down, often going up lately, if you don't shop specials (which aren't always available for what you want). I suspect grocery prices are somewhat dependent on where you are and how far stuff has to come?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I've always recycled to so that hasn't changed. But I have noticed prices going down but I think you are right the price of groceries no doubt do go by area and rural areas are probably more expensive than cities,

I've also did the card thing, the bogo, and the coupons. I have actually had them pay me money once in a while using coupons,

Bill

Pat said...

Take a look at SYTYCD. It's a whole different ballgame, with lots of solos and every kind of dancing you can imagine, from classical ballet (rare) to hip-hop (not quite rare enough), and including some ballroom, but not much. I can never remember what night things are on, but I'm guessing it's on Wed. night. Or maybe Tuesday. Check your local listings, as they say.

Sorry about your second date being your last one in that case. Try not to get the ones on the rebound. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'll have to check out the TV Guide to see when SYTYCD is on.

The rebound ones just seem to find me.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Totally off the day's subject, but could I ask for prayers, positive thoughts and/or good vibes, depending on your persuasion for Shelly, a friend of mine? She had surgery for a "macular pucker" about four months ago and cataract surgery about two months ago. Both seemed to do well, until the past week. Now, she's told she has "macular edema" and has had a steroid shot to try to correct that and there's a "cloud" behind the lens inserted during cataract surgery and she sees the doc for that in a week or two. Her eyesight is now more troublesome than it was before either procedure and she's scared spitless and depressed. Shelly is a very active, caring, community-driven woman of just 65, a docent for Place of Peace at Furman, an active member, one of the guitar group. She has shared her fear of losing her sight (she only recently had procedures to correct hearing problems from a benign brain tumor they can't remove) with very few and she does believe in prayer, because I asked if I could put her on my prayer list and share with others. She does so much for so many, any positives of whatever nature would be appreciated.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You can post requests for prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts for anyone, anywhere on the blog.

Shelly certainly has man and I post a special request for her on Sunday.

Keep us up to date on how she is doing.

Bill