Wednesday, September 16, 2009

We've Got Talent!

In honor of tonight's final of America's Got Talent and because Red surprised me by divulging she used to dance professionally I am asking you all today what hidden talent do you possess?

I will reveal the hidden talent that I used to have after my predictions of how the finals will go tonight on America's Got Talent. First a reminder to all of you Susan Boyle fans. She makes her American TV debut as a guest entertainer on tonight's show. 8 PM, & 7 PM Central time on NBC. Be there or be square.

My ratings:

Last even though he is from Grants Pass Oregon, Hairo Torres. He just doesn't cut it with me.

Coming in ninth is Recycled Percussion, a quartet of rhythm makers from Goffstown, N.H. Just not my kind of entertainment.

Comedian Grandma Lee finishes eighth. While I admire her spirit for going for it at her age, I just didn't think she was all that funny.

I know everyone loves the chicken guy Kevin Skinner but his voice needs improvement and he needs a shave. He is seventh in my heart.

The handsome Drew Stevyns finishes sixth, Pleasant voice but I just like others a little better.

Lawrence Beamen stunned us with his version of "Old Man River" but then singing the wrong songs puts him in fifth place.

The adorable lead vocalist of Voices of Glory puts them fourth.

Fab Five, the power tap-dancing five sisters from Morgan, Utah stole my heart and move all the way up to third on my list. The would be a perfect opening act to RiverDance.

Barbara Padilla the beautiful Opera singer and cancer survivor is just amazing. You don't even have to like or understand Opera to love her. She is beyond Vegas, do I hear the Met calling?

And the winners are The Texas Tenors. Perfect for Vegas. As an added note both Mom and my sister think I look like the middle one in the Texas Tenors. I could only dream, he is a stud that no doubt has women falling all over him, the only stud in my life is on a tire.

Now on to hidden talents. Before I got burned out on football and started spending my Saturday's and Sunday's away from the television set and out into life I used to have the unique ability to pick upsets in professional football and college football games. I won several picking contests. I won contest prizes any where from five dollars to a thousand dollars. I even once on a national TV show predicted four players that would perform well the following Sunday. A local columnist wrote about my appearance on the now defunct Financial News Network and said he laughed, actually laughed at my predictions. Then he was amazed when all my predictions came true. Maybe I should reconnect with that talent?

Now it is your turn. Tell me not only what act on America's Got Talent that you think will win the million bucks but also share with us what hidden talent that you have that would surprise us. May all your friends and relatives realize today how lucky they are to have the talented you in their lives!


TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answer: Was either Crystal Lee Sutton or Crystal Lee Jordan. The movie Norma Rae was based on her life story. In the sign of the times here is a report on her death that Pat found for us:

"The Raw Story noted she died at Hospice House, a hospice in Burlington, NC on Friday, September 11, 2009, after her death that she died of meningioma, a form of brain cancer that she had been diagnosed as having for several years. She had been struggling with her health insurance company, which had delayed her treatment, according to the publication."

Today is a Who Am I?"

I was born in 1838 and died in 1927. I became a colorful and notorious symbol for women's rights, free love, and spiritualism as I fought against corruption and for labor reforms. Many of my speeches were not written by me alone but also were written by my backers and husband. George Washington and I share a first, both being the first of our gender to do something. Most of the ideas that I was famous for, now taken for granted, were very controversial. I was part of the common working class fighting against the corrupt business elite. Together with my sister I was the first woman to operate a brokerage firm on Wall Street.

I was born in Homer, Licking County, Ohio. My father was a con man, arsonist, snake oil salesman and often a fake doctor. My two brothers were printers but I was associated most of my life with my younger sister. I was married at age 15 to a real doctor. We had two children, one disabled.

I was quoted as saying "To woman, by nature, belongs the right of sexual determination. When the instinct is aroused in her, then and then only should commerce follow. When woman rises from sexual slavery to sexual freedom, into the ownership and control of her sexual organs, and man is obliged to respect this freedom, then will this instinct become pure and holy; then will woman be raised from the iniquity and morbidness in which she now wallows for existence, and the intensity and glory of her creative functions be increased a hundred-fold . "

Today's Who Am I is a broker, a woman's rights advocate, a newspaper editor and known for her politics. Who is she?

6 comments:

Pat said...

I have no hidden talents, I'm sorry to say. No visible ones, either.

I agree with you about Hairo Torres and Recycled Percussion, tho' I rather like their drumming. I don't much care for how some of the acts are going for "spectacle". I'd rather just see a lot of clever percussion without all the fires shooting up and water pouring down on them.

Also agree on Grandma Lee. I applaud her spirit, and some of her stuff is funny, but not enough of it.

Disagree on the tapping sisters. They are quite good, but seeing them once or twice is enough for me. And the "spectacle" comment applies here, too. Maybe a Vegas act needs all that glitz, but I just find it annoying.

After that, it's all a tossup for me. I think I like Skinner a little better than Drew Stevyns, but they're both good enough and will improve with exposure and coaching. I like Lawrence Beaman a lot, and would be happy enough to see him win. But I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see the Texas Tenors win. Love their harmonies. They're all hunks, but if you'll excuse my departing from the most obvious hunk, I'm more hot for the guy to the blond's left. Audience right.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think you no doubt have both obvious talents like music editing and hidden talents like be aware enough of things at your mom's assisted living center to suggest things that almost always work.

The one on the audience right of the Texas Tenors is the one both Mom and I think has the best voice of the three.

To me they would be a perfect act for Vegas.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Since I don't "do" TV, I've no clue about who might win the AGT or why. Strangely enough, I don't feel deprived, maybe because y'all keep me up to date.

Hidden talents? Not a clue. Maybe bringing order out of chaos, when I have the time or it's required. Maybe designing and making clothing, although it's been a month of Sundays since I've fiddled with that?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I will try to find you the You Tube links of Barbara Padilla and The Texas Tenors and email them to you because you really are missing something not listening to those two!

And it has been several years since I used my talent to pick games. And let's not forget what you made for your mom for her birthday! That is an amazing hidden talent.

Bill

dona said...

Well I don't think I have any hidden talents either.

I agree with you on Grandma, and I love Padilla's voice and always said she would be in the finals. But I believe Kevin will win.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You many talents, in fact it wouldn't surprise me to see you as a contestant on Top Chef one of these days!

I really hope Kevin doesn't win but even if Padilla or the Texas Tenors don;t win I am guessing they are going to get contracts out of these deal!

Bill