Sunday, September 13, 2009

Update. Yours, Mine, and Ours.

A busy day planned for today. Breakfast with my friend Ted and then an event that I am pretty sure I am going to attend tonight. Yesterday was lunch with Mom and some housecleaning. In addition I received call from the guys that bought my business to give me a work assignment. This is the longest into the year that they have kept me busy. I'm fine with that. With this economy you have to make hay while the sun shines. During the past week there were two nights, three days at Mom's, some serious reading, taking my car to the doctor and getting a new battery. On the agenda coming up this week is a flu shot, some mome time, and really minor foot surgery.

Sister did decide not to come which means my schedule has to be as flexible as my ethics. They will know on the 23rd whether or not the deal on their house falls through. They had the appraisal last week and are worried that the appraisal will come in below the selling price. If that happens they can't afford to go through with the deal. Keep your fingers crossed about two things for my sister, that the deal on their house goes through and if the deal goes through that they move here!

On to the entertainment updates. The Amazing Race starts on CBS on September 27. Among the teams are two Harlem Globetrotters, two female professional poker players, an engaged couple from Boston, grade school sweethearts from San Diego, a dating couple from San Francisco that met online, married yoga instructors from Encino, California, dating aspiring country singers, and a former Miss America and her husband. Should be interesting.

Top Chef is still boring but a little less boring that previous episodes. Finally a man was eliminated. This week was everything French. The Quickfire challenge was all about snails. Or escargot as some of the high society like to call them. For the first time, the loser of the Quickfire challenge was sent packing. The bottom three in the Quickfire challenge were Robin, Jesse, and Ashley. The terrible trio had a cook off, twenty minutes to make a knockout dish with anything in the Top Chef kitchen with the loser going home. Goodbye Jesse. I'm really not sorry to see her go. Kevin won the Quickfire challenge and not only got immunity from elimination but didn't have to cook in the elimination challenge. Instead he got to have dinner with four of the most well known French chefs in the world. Dinner was at one of the famous chef's restaurants. The restaurant owned by the chef of the century, Joel Robouchon. Also at the table were my man Hubert Keller, Laurent Touronde, Jean Joho Daniel, the regular judges, and Kevin. Cooking for them were the other contestants. The contestants were divided into teams of two. One member of the team had to cook French sauces. The other member of the team was in charge of French protein. The top two teams were Jennifer & Michael V and Byran & Mike. I am predicting right now that before this season of Top Chef ends Jennifer and Michael V. are going to do some serious connecting. Winner of the night was Byran. The bottom two teams were Hector & Ash and Matten & Ashley. Hector gets the honor of being the first man eliminated from this season of Top Chef.

I received this message from DR. "Shelly had surgery for a "macular pucker" about four months ago and cataract surgery about two months ago. Both seemed to do well, until the past week. Now, she's told she has "macular edema" and has had a steroid shot to try to correct that and there's a "cloud" behind the lens inserted during cataract surgery and she sees the doc for that in a week or two. Her eyesight is now more troublesome than it was before either procedure and she's scared spitless and depressed. Shelly is a very active, caring, community-driven woman of just 65, a docent for Place of Peace at Furman, an active member, one of the guitar group. She has shared her fear of losing her sight (she only recently had procedures to correct hearing problems from a benign brain tumor they can't remove) with very few and she does believe in prayer, because I asked if I could put her on my prayer list and share with others. She does so much for so many, any positives of whatever nature would be appreciated."

She certainly has mine. It would be appreciated if you would send your good vibes, good thoughts, and prayers if that is your style in Shelly's direction.

The blog is now yours. Tell me everything going on in your life. Post about anything you damn well please. I need to know more about my friends here. And if you are new to the blog or haven't posted on the blog before I would love for you to introduce yourself. What is life if it isn't learning more about the people that you care about and meeting new friends?

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answers: Dollar, snow, really trying, mill, and flags.

TODAY LET'S PLAY WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE.

DISCLAIMER: THE MONEY MENTIONED IS IMAGINARY MONEY ONLY MEANT TO DEFINE THE DIFFICULTITY OF THE QUESTION AND NOT MEANT TO IMPLY IT AS A PRIZE FOR GETTING THE RIGHT ANSWER.

$2,000

Which of these specialized forms of writing is traditionally used by secretaries?

a. italics
b. shorthand
c. calligraphy
d. lithography

$4,000

The age of a horse is commonly determined by examining which part of his body?

a. teeth
b. mane
c. eyes
d. hooves

$8,000

Which of these animated characters attended “Woosamotta U.”?

a. Fred Flintstone
b. Bugs Bunny
c. Bullwinkle
d. Goofy

$16, 000

In 1996, what astronaut set an American record by logging 188 days in space on the Russian space station Mir?

a. Robert H. Lawrence
b. Sally Ride
c. Michael Collins
d. Shannon Lucid

$32,000

The tango, in its present form, emerged from what country in the late 19th century?

a. Cuba
b. Argentina
c. Spain
d. Brazil

6 comments:

Pat said...

Lots of good vibes to DR's friend Shelly. It must be terribly frightening to have your eyesight threatened like that.

Bill, I'm sorry your sister can't come to spell you, and will send more vibes that their house sells and that she moves close to you and your mom.

Nothing new here, except (and I may have already posted this, in which case, move on to next comment) one of the staff at Las Casitas gave my mom a baby doll. It had belonged to her daughter, who is now all grown up. It has been a big hit with mom, who carries it and talks and sings to it. She will give it up for others to hold, but you'd better hold it as you'd hold a baby. Mom's wrath will descend if you just grab it by an arm or leg. She thought the baby's bare feet might be cold, so I got her some baby socks, and now some new baby clothes have appeared for her, too. One visitor, I'm told, burst into tears watching my mom cradle the baby.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I don't remember the doll story.
What a really neat story that is.
It is just such a sweet story. Kudos the the employee that cared of enough to bring the doll.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Sounds like you had a busy week and another one ahead of you. I'm so sorry Sis didn't come up and will certainly pray the house sells and they move to Portland. What a difference that could make for you.

Thank you for posting the message about Shelly. She's had more than her share of health issues and, as she said to me, "They're all 'hidden,' so few people understand." And she just keeps keeping on.

Busy week and some decisions made. Several "Mom" hours, dealing with medications, pharmacy, AZ panic, doctors. I think it's all straightened out and prescriptions will now be handled through a local pharmacy there. Yea! Took car in for standard oil change and the guys told me I shouldn't be driving on two of the tires. I now have four new tires (thank you, Himself). Did the guitar jam and decided I probably won't be going back, even when I have Tuesdays free again. I'm not into electric blues, Clapton, King, Crocker and the like. I want to go and play standards, pop, country, old rock and have fun, not discuss technique and theory for blues and jazz. I shall continue on my own. Attended "instructors' luncheon" for Ollie and confirmed my decision to retire from teaching aquacize. Not only are they never going to get the pool warm, but the org has gotten too big for my tastes, too political and too money-driven, rather than member/ community driven. Working on editorial projects in house and continuing to get inquiries, some of which have me shaking my head (How do I know my ms won't end up on somebody else's computer for submission? Answer: Ethics)

Next week looks a little crazy, with two days of aquacize, line dance, a dental app't, finding a new dermatologist and trying to get the babbling ms rewrite done by end of weekend (yes, I worked all this weekend).

Okay, I'm ready to do a report on the vacuum. At this point I love it. It's got enough suction to pull a throw rug off the floor (g) and you don't lose suction power when you use the attachments. Being able to set the roller height to 7 different settings means I can do plush to flat commercial-type carpets and know I'm getting the dirt and hair out. Being able to turn off the brush means dust, hair and such don't just get "swished around" on tile or hardwood surfaces. It also means if the brush/suction combination catches on something, I can immediately turn off the brush and not risk breaking the belt (big problem with previous vacuum). The "pet paw" attachment is great for getting hair off steps and chairs and bedspreads and the like. Being able to detach and carry along only the canister allowed me to really get in and around behind the keyboard and toilet and some other spots, without having to use a second vacuum. It's heavier than others I've had, but rolls nicely and the "grab handle" on the canister part makes it easy to carry the whole vacuum up the steps. The bagless canister is easy to detach and empty and, while it's not necessary yet, it appears the filters (HEPA and motor and brush) are easlity removed and cleaned with a brush or warm water. So far, there's nothing to dislike and at $180, I consider it very good return on investment.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Do give Shelly our best!

I'm glad they are going to do the drugs local as that should take a little pressure off of you.

Yes on the new tire!! Sorry you had to go to that expense but with winter coming you don't want to be on bad tired.

I think continuing the music on your own is a good idea or finding a group that plays the music that you want to.

Will giving up the teaching take a lot of pressure off of you?

Shame on you for working this weekend!

The vaccum sounds exciting and a great purchase!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Told Shelly about the prayers and vibes headed her way and she says she already feels better, just knowing people care.

The new tires were a given -- we knew they were close to replacement, just not how close.

The only group I've found thus far that plays "my" kind of music and has fun is the YesterUkes, which means learning the Uke (not a big deal) and a one hour one way trip to join them (big deal). We'll see what the Universe has in mind.

Yes, giving up the aquacize class will be a big plus. I've fought the political battle from water temps to life guards to Dr. M's attitude for eight years, to no avail. It also takes two afternoons a week and gets the same "honorarium" as a once a week class. I'm tired of yelling over chattering ladies and freezing my buns off in the process and listening to ladies grump about water temps, lack of showers and the like. Much better to retire, pay my PAC membership and work out four days a week in the warm PT pool on my lunch hour.

As to working this weeeknd... my own fault for not realizing the amount of time a project was going to take, even after skimming the first few chapters. I'll be working next weekend, as well. Then, hopefully, some sort of sane schedule will fall in place. Fortunately, it's not a long term thing (working weekends) and it's not the first time. Equally fortunately, Himself understands this happens on occasion but I'm doing my best to prevent future occurrences. And, btw, it's not like you've never done the same thing! (sticking out tongue in very unladylike manner)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Keep us up to date on Shelly.

I love the name the YesterUkes! An hour drive for your mental health? Go for it.

I hope you retiring will spark the the class to make some changes. I bet you are going to be missed.

You busted me!!

Bill