Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mascots & Movie Quotes

I'm in my top twenty-five mode as I scrambe to reacquaint myself with my crativity while trying to find a life. Today we are doing mascots and movies. First up are the top twenty-five mascots according to Walletpop.com. I was kind of sorry not to see the "where is the beef" granny from Wendy's because I always kind of had the hots for her.

25. Geico Cavemen.

24. Taco Bell Dog., Gidget..

23. Borden's Elsie The Cow.

22. Spuds McKenzie, Bud Light..

21. Miss Chiquita Banana.

20. Morris the Cat.

19. Trix Rabbit, General Mills' Trix Cereal.

18. Aflac Duck.

17. Speedy Alka-Seltzer.

16. Woodsy the Owl, United States Forest Service

15. Snap, Crackle, & Pop, Kellogg's Rice Krispies.

14. Fruit of the Loom Guys.

13. Joe Camel, Camel Cigarettes.

12. Toucan Sam, Kellogg's Froot Loops.

11. Charlie Tuna, StarKist.

10. Geoffrey Giraffe, Mascot for: Toys"R"Us.

9. Energizer Bunny, Energizer.

8. Jolly Green Giant & Sprout.

7. Mr. Clean.

6. Keebler Elves Led By Ernie.

5. Poppin' Fresh Doughboy, Pillsbury.

4. Michelin Man.

3. Mr. Peanut, Planters.

2. Tony the Tiger, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.

1. Mickey Mouse, Disney & Ronald McDonald. McDonald's (Tied).

I was also surprised not to see the Clydesdales on the list.

On to the top twenty-five movie quotes from Wikipedia. Some of the ones that didn't make the list. My favorite line of all time from When Harry Met Sally, "I'll have what she is having." Also "There is no crying in baseball" from A League of Their Own and "You had me at hello" from Jerry Maguire.

25. "Show me the money!" Rod Tidwell Cuba Gooding, Jr. Jerry Maguire 1996.

24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small." Norma Desmond Gloria Swanson Sunset Boulevard 1950.

23. "There's no place like home." Dorothy Gale Judy Garland The Wizard of Oz 1939.

22. "Bond. James Bond." James Bond Sean Connery[8] Dr. No[1] 1962.

21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." Hannibal Lecter Anthony Hopkins The Silence of the Lambs 1991.

20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Rick Blaine Humphrey Bogart Casablanca 1942.

19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Howard Beale Peter Finch Network 1976.

18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" Arthur "Cody" Jarrett James Cagney White Heat 1949.

17. "Rosebud." Charles Foster Kane Orson Welles Citizen Kane 1941.

16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!" Virgil Tibbs Sidney Poitier In the Heat of the Night 1967.

15. "E.T. phone home." E.T. Pat Welsh E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 1982.

14. "The stuff that dreams are made of."[7] Sam Spade Humphrey Bogart The Maltese Falcon 1941.

13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Jennifer Cavilleri Barrett Ali MacGraw Love Story 1970.

12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore Robert Duvall Apocalypse Now 1979.

11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate."[6] Captain Strother Martin Cool Hand Luke 1967.

10. "You talkin' to me?" Travis Bickle Robert De Niro Taxi Driver 1976.

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." Margo Channing Bette Davis All About Eve 1950.

8. "May the Force be with you." Han Solo Harrison Ford Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope 1977.

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."[5] Norma Desmond Gloria Swanson Sunset Boulevard 1950.

6. "Go ahead, make my day." Harry Callahan Clint Eastwood Sudden Impact 1983.

5. "Here's looking at you, kid." Rick Blaine Humphrey Bogart Casablanca 1942.

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Dorothy Gale Judy Garland The Wizard of Oz 1939.

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."[4] Terry Malloy Marlon Brando On the Waterfront 1954.

2. "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."[3] Vito Corleone Marlon Brando The Godfather 1972.

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" Rhett Butler Clark Gable Gone with the Wind 1939.

Are you surprised at what mascots made the list? Who are some of your favorite mascots? What about the top twenty-five movie quotes? Surprised at some that made the list? Or didn't make the list? Does love mean never having to say your sorry? May the force be with you today.

Yesterday's answers: Wilson or Harding, Rabies, Holy Roman Emperor, Pulitzer Prize, and The U.N.


TODAY LET'S PLAY WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE.

DISCLAIMER: THE MONEY MENTIONED IS IMAGINARY MONEY ONLY MEANT TO DEFINE THE DIFFICULTITY OF THE QUESTION AND NOT MEANT TO IMPLY IT AS A PRIZE FOR GETTING THE RIGHT ANSWER.

$100

According to a common phrase, if you are very sure of something, you can “bet your bottom” what?

a. layer
b. bunk
c. dollar
d. feeder

$200

A toboggan is best used on which of these surfaces?

a. plastic
b. Velcro
c. snow
d. sandpaper

$300

The title of a 1961 Broadway musical tells you How to Succeed in Business Without what?

a. a lot of money
b. really trying
c. working late
d. taking bribes

$500

Which of the following devices is used to serve fresh pepper?

a. carafe
b. press
c. thermos
d. mill

$1,000

Members of a “color guard” traditionally are responsible for which of these items?

a. flags
b. drums
c. shields
d. bows and arrows

10 comments:

cd0103 said...

What? No Roaming Gnome?

Pat said...

I agree with all three movie quotes that you thought should be included. Not sure what I'd get rid of, though. Maybe the White Heat one or the Maltese Falcon one.

As to mascots, I never heard of Geoffrey Giraffe, and to put Geico's Cavemen instead of their gecko is just criminal. Hate the cavemen, love the gecko (though I liked his original voice better than the current one).

"Love means never..." is kind of a silly line, actually. What does it even mean?

William J. said...

Hi Connie

That should have been there!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'd get rid of the Silence of The Lambs, The Bond James Bond, and the White Heat ones.

I turn the TV to another channel whenever the Cavemen come one.

Love means never having to say your sorry is kind of bull. I'd say love means you have to say you are sorry, a lot.

Bill

Lady DR said...

One of the things I find interesting is so many of the mascots go back to when I was a kid. I agree about the Geico mascot. Not my choice. Mr. Clean? Iffy.

As to movie quotes, I'll go with two of your three and happily live without Bond, Silence of the Lambs and a few others. "Make my day" is one of my all time favorites, as are "Frankly, my dear..." "Fasten your seatbelt" and "Failure to communicate." Another of mine that didn't make the list also came from GWTH - "I'll think about it tomorrow." (wry g)

Love means never having to say you're sorry worked in the context of the book, but I don't consider it a good philosophy for life. Sometimes, love means saying you're sorry many times (often related to a failure to communicate) if you inadvertently hurt someone you care for or if you know someone else has hurt them or they're hurting for any reason.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I found that kind of interesting too about the mascots. I would have rather had Mr. Whipple than Mr. Clean and Smokey The Bear over either of them!

Make my day is one of my favorites too. Failure to Communicate was from one of my favorite movies. And "I'll think about it tomorrow." is better advise than love means never have to say your sorry!

Bill

redwhistle said...

Hi Bill - wound up not being able to go to the writer's group as I received an important phone call just as I was about to leave. It is every month - the first thursday of the month. The other group - the NW Publishers Group is the last Thursday of the month in Lake Oswego across from Applebee's at the Fairfield Inn I think at 11 a.m. Will try to get to that one and next month the other. If you're interested, give me a shout - you know how to get a hold of me.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I hope the important phone call was a sale!

When I get back home which will be either today or Tuesday depending on caregiver problems I will email you all my numbers too. It would be great to get out into the world and meet new people!

Bill

redwhistle said...

I sent you a link to Susan Boyle's new and first single. Sounds great --- maybe your readers would enjoy it as well.

Wasn't a sale but an important phone call I had been waiting almost a month for...and it never fails just when something else is going on and you least expect it.

It's good to get out and meet new people. You never know where the path will take you.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I will add the link to one of the daily reports.

Thanks for doing that!

Bill