Friday, September 25, 2009

Connections!

When I was at Mom's this week I was telling her about a friend of mine that I really respected because he and his wife had adopted two children and no matter what business he owned either outright or jointly he was very instrumental in making those businesses successful. Mom asked how I met him. When I told her how I became to know him she was kind of amazed at the story. As an example of how one connection will often lead to another connection I am going to share the story with you here.

When I first started my business I designed some flyers and hired an artist friend to do the art on the flyers. She was an amazing artist, often doing the drawings for what was then Meir & Frank ads. On the left of the flyer was a man sitting on the beach with a drink in his hand with a big smile on his face, on the left side of the flyer was a man sitting at his desk being attacked by a huge roll of adding machine tape. On the left the caption was "they filed early and are enjoying their refund." On the right the caption was "he waited until April 15 to file his tax return." Then I walked through the residential neighborhood closest to my office and handed out the flyers.

I ended up getting four or five new clients from the flyers. The business that the flyers generated probably wasn't worth the cost of the flyers. At least the first year it wasn't. One of the new clients was a single guy that just had a W-2 form and was a very easy tax return. He told me he called me because he couldn't fathom that there was an accountant in the area with a sense of humor. A couple of years later C.J. quit his job as a sales manager and formed a glass company with a friend of his. They brought in a third partner that they had done business with in the past. He was from Kansas and had to move out to the Portland area to become a one-third owner of the glass company. The glass company became on of the largest glass companies in the Metro Area. Because they formed a corporation in each city that they opened up a glass shop it became a huge junk of business for me. Eight corporate tax returns, three individual tax returns. The company accountant was the wife of the man that moved here from Kansas. Five or six years later two of the partners became upset that the wife of the man from Kansas knew to much about their business and their profits. She was doing a great job and was the type of person that just worked and kept her mouth shut. She was really one of the reasons the company was so successful. The two guys basically told the Kansas guy that his wife had to go. Kansas told the other two if the wife goes, he goes. So the two guys bought him out. Because of ethics you can't represent both sides in a partnership dissolution, it is a conflict of interest, I had to choose which side I would represent. I chose the guy that stood up for his wife.

That is how I became friends with the man and his wife that adopted two children. He used the funds from the glass company buyout to purchase a heating and cooling company. Which is now probably the largest heating and cooling company in the Portland area. Remember the football party we had earlier this month? It was at the home office of the heating and cooling company. The glass company that the man left? Their business went way downhill and while it is still operating you don't hear much about them anymore. There used to be frequent stories about the success of the glass company in business journals, now you are lucky to see one of their trucks every six months.

Do you have any unusual stories of how you became friends with someone? A business associate? A social friend? What about how you met your spouse? Would love to hear those stories!

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answers: Father & Sons, National anthems either official or unofficial, they all are flat, points of the Bermuda Triangle, and they were all were crucified.

A boat, a tug of war, and the nightly news.

Dwight Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan. Other than being presidents. Think college not funerals.

Philadelphia, Annapolis, and New York. In addition to being cities.

A wagon, a weed, and a practical joke.

Quarrymen, Johnny And The Moondogs, and The Silver Beatles.

10 comments:

dona said...

Very nice story, Bill. I think it says a lot of who you are to have stood up for the good guys. I am glad their business is doing so well also.

Ok, here is my connection story.
About 11 years ago, I was going through things to try to have a garage sale. About 5 years prior, the Shankster's mother had passed and we had a few small things of hers we had forgotten about. There were about 30 bronze pencil sharpeners, and I remembered I had started collecting the same kind for my son when he was a child. SO I got them all together to sell, about 60 total. But then I had no idea of what to ask for them. They were nice and I didn't want to give them away but didn't want to be silly either. I had a webtv (remember those?) so I researched and found a website on pencil sharpeners and this lady seemed to know her pencil sharpeners as she had over 6,000 different ones then, in her collection, so I emailed her to see what she thought they were worth.

This was only the beginning of such a good friendship, there are no words that can justify.

She lives in a foreign land and speaks 5 different languages, a little English being one of them.
I ended up sending them all to her at no cost. I just thought it was the right thing to do. It turned out that she had none of the ones I sent her and was happy to have them and one thing led to another and I ended up teaching her over emails how to buy and sell on ebay. I even did the selling for her for a while, collecting payments and such. She became one of the biggest power sellers on ebay. She mostly seemed like a long distant friend as 10,000 miles away is a long way to ever think of meeting.

She had never been to the US and didn't plan on it. Until 2007 and of all the places she could go, she and her hubby came to Cloverdale, Indiana....to see little ole me....for 10 days, and I guess they liked me ok as they came back in 2008 for 2 weeks. It was their first trip on a plane, & to the US. We got to show them a few things they had never seen and teach them a few firsts. We thought it would be hard as the hubby speaks no English at all, but it was so easy I can't even tell you.

She is like an angel sent to me as she has been there for me where my own family has not. Like I said, words cannot explain what this woman has done for me, and wants no thanks whatsoever. I would have never thought that such a silly little question would have led to such a good friendship.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Wowser, Wowser, and Wowser again. What an absolute amazing story. It really touched me that I shed a tear or two.

It also says a lot about you. In an number of ways. You are such a giving person to send the sharpeners to your friend for nothing!

And I would be my house that if you talked to her she would say that you had done more for her than she had ever done for you.

I loved this story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

dona said...

Thanks Bill, Sorry for the tears.
I lost my childhood friend in 2000, very suddenly and the Shankster believes this is why God gave me this friend.

I have another story too. The Shankster is a sibling of 7 others.
The first 5 from one dad and the younger 3 from another. The first 5 ended up in a childrens home (the Shankster is in the first 5, and the youngest) A few years ago, the Shankster had to get in contact with somebody for some reason like losing his SS card or something, I forget, but the first lady he got, couldn't believe she was actually talking to him and said she had been trying to track him for years after hearing his name. She made an appointment to call him at a later time. She actually worked at one place for one thing but was calling him for another, for another job she had. The Shankster and his brother are the only 2 in town and neither were listed in the directory. So the chance of him talking to the exact lady who had been looking for him for years was one in a million I think.

She was searching for him because of his age/birthdate. Seems he had a long lost sister, who was born in between him and the younger 3 siblings. She had been adopted.
Several long talks before a few reunions were held. And there was not a doubt whatsoever in any ones minds after just hearing her voice, she sounded just like the Shankster's mother and when we finally got to meet her she looked just like them too. It was sure something else, I had never been through anything like it. She missed meeting mom by a few years, sadly, but seemed happy to have found the rest of her family.

If he never had made that phone call one day they may never have gotten the chance to meet.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

OK, you apoloqizs for making me cry and then you tell me a story like that!!

Another amazing story.

Thanks Bill, Sorry for the tears.
I lost my childhood friend in 2000, very suddenly and the Shankster believes this is why God gave me this friend.

Just how amazing is that, that of all the people in the world he would get on the phone. I would think the odds were a lot more than a million to one.

I'm really, really curious are they still in touch?

Bill

Lady DR said...

Great story, Bill. Like Dona, I'm glad you did the "good" thing and stood by the guy and his wife.

Dona, two absolutely amazing stories and what "happy endings" to both. God really does work in mysterious ways.

Yes, I've had some interesting friendships come out of "nowhere," so to speak. Probably meeting my spouse is the most fun. I was to have lunch with a friend and she called and said she had a consultant in town and was it okay if Dr. L joined us. Now, I'd had some not positive exposure to PhDs in my life and suggested they go ahead and she and I would meet another day. This happened a second time. She insisted. I sighed and agreed. So, the guy wasn't so bad - at least he didn't think he was God's answer to all the issues of the world. He was married, I was about to be. Worked out his youngest and my youngest step were in the same class. We met as often in the principal's office as often as anywhere else. His wife split. When Walt died, I vowed I'd never remarry. Himself was there to help with garage sales, then I went to work for his company. We started "seeing" each other. I ended up marrying the man I didn't even want to meet, let alone have lunch with. Twenty three years ago, everyone sighed at our wedding and said, "It'll never last. They're too different." Hah!

Mary said...

The story of how I met my spouse is rather boring and embarrassing. It was at a young adults volleyball group run by a church. Yawn.

I admire you for being able to so easily pick which client you were going to stick with. I go through agonies over this every time I have to do it. I know it's a good rule, but I like them both, and I hate having to pick.

Dona, I don't think I knew how close you live to my husband's old stomping grounds. He was born and raised in Columbus. His siblings, and there are many of them, live in Danville, Columbus, Greenwood and Bloomington. We are due for a visit back there next summer, probably.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I like the story of how you met Himself. And that you beat the odds.

Do you think you have gotten more alike during your marriage?

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Usually I let the client pick. Especially in divorce cases. In this case it was a pretty easy choice. The side I didn't choose was known throught the business community as being fairly brutal. The one I chose was of the type I preferred to be associated with. Not to mention that I thought his side was the most correct.

And I like the story of how you met your husband. What stood out about him?

dona said...

Mary, yes we are close to all those areas. I lived in Greenwood for years and we now live 20 minutes from Danville and go there for many things, we fish in Bloomington, and we were in Columbus yesterday!

Small world!

Bill, Yes he talked to her a lot and it was fortunate that she lived in Florida where the Shankster's older sister lives so she was able to keep in touch, this sister took her in and they became the closest, but sadly she passed last year.

But they were glad that they "found" her and was sure their mother would have been glad they welcomed her. I just thought it was really neat.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Sorry to hear of the passing but am glad that you reconnected before her death.

It was extremely neat!

Bill