Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Informant!

The Informant! is a dark comedy directed by Steven Soderbergh, based on true events and the 2000 non fiction book about Mark Whitacre, The Informant, by journalist Kurt Eichenwald. The script was written by Scott Z. Burns and the film stars Matt Damon, Scott Bakula, Joel McHale and Melanie Lynskey.

Here is the synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes: A rising star at agri-industry giant Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Whitacre (Matt Damon) suddenly turns whistleblower. Even as he exposes his company's multi-national price-fixing conspiracy to the FBI, Whitacre envisions himself being hailed as a hero of the common man and handed a promotion. But before all that can happen, the FBI needs evidence, so Whitacre eagerly agrees to wear a wire and carry a hidden tape recorder in his briefcase, imagining himself as a kind of de facto secret agent. Unfortunately for the FBI, their lead witness hasn't been quite so forthcoming about helping himself to the corporate coffers. Whitacre's ever-changing account frustrates the agents (Scott Bakula and Joel McHale) and threatens the case against ADM as it becomes almost impossible to decipher what is real and what is the product of Whitacre's active imagination.

The story was enthralling, the acting was top notch, and the questions that the movie left the viewers with were mind boggling. Why so often do the major perpetrators of a crime end up either getting off Scott free or are punished less than the whistle blower? And does the whistle blower have to be completely clean so that the investigation doesn't turn against him or her? Matt Damon gave an Oscar winning performance as did Scott Bakula. I am sure that Melainie Lynskey's performance as Whitacre's wife was stunning but I had a hard time seeing her as anything but Charlie's stalker on Two and A Half Men. I am giving it four footballs, one each for Damon & Bakula, one for Soderbergh, and one for script by Burns.

Have you ever been a whistle blower? I have and I ended up suffering more than the people that I blew the whistle on. The reward was that I could sleep, I just couldn't get a job. I was Vice President of Finance and on the board of directors of a publicly held company. The main product we sold were syringes. The second largest shareholder left our company in Oregon and moved to the Mid-West to start his own manufacturing company. At the time we were borrowing money from the bank using inventory and receivables as collateral. We would fill out a bank report that stated the value of our inventory and the amount of our receivables and borrow eighty per-cent of that amount. If that bank report is filled out in error with doctored up numbers it is consider both to be fraud and obtaining money by false pretenses. The largest shareholder, the one staying in Oregon to run the company, wanted to take the company private but didn't have the funds to buy the now Mid-Westerner's shares of stock. What he did was ship the syringes off the books to the guy in the Midwest who would then sign over shares of stock to him. That meant the numbers on the bank report were immensely inflated. When I discovered what the crooks were doing I resigned immediately. I went company's outside attorney and outside accountant and gave them all the documents to verify what I discovered. They both said that they would resign immediately. They not only didn't resign, they approved the financial statements that followed. The company went broke. The person that replaced me became the fall guy and went to jail. The shareholders got screwed. Nothing happened to either the two main shareholders or the outside professionals. They gave me such a terrible reference I couldn't find a job. But I recovered by starting my own business which by all reports turned out to be pretty damn successful. Now only if the bank would have believed me everyone would have paid but me. Such is life.

Have you ever been a whistle blower? What do you think you would do if you discovered something illegal at your place of work? Bite the tongue or bite the perpetrators?


TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answer. Hattie McDaniel the first African-American to win an Oscar for her supporting role in Gone With The Wind.


Today's Who Am I?

I was born February 3, 1821 in Bristol, England to a family of Quakers that believed that men and women were equal. I was the third of nine children. My dad was a sugar refiner who could afford to send his sons to school but he also believed his daughters deserved the same education and had them tutored by house servants. While growing up I lost all six of my sisters and two of my brothers. When I was eleven my father's business burnt down. In 1832 our family emigrated to the United States and opened a refinery in New York City. Due to our Quaker beliefs we were anti-slavery. When an opportunity presented itself to open a refinery where slaves wouldn't be needed we moved to Ohio. Three months after the move my father got sick with biliary fever and died. After my father's death I took up a career in teaching to make money to go to an advanced college. I became very active in the anti-slavery movement.

In 1845 I applied to Geneva College in New York. Because they hadn't had a woman student there before the faculty put up my admittance to a vote of the students. The students thinking my application was a hoax voted yes. I braved the prejudice of some professors and students to finish my education and become the first woman in the United States to receive this degree. I once replied to a professor that was upset that I wore a bonnet to class that I would remove the bonnet and sit in the back of the class but hell would freeze over before I voluntarily left the lecture. The male students there treated me like an older sister. I finished first in my class and received my famous degree on January 23, 1849. Because in the United States I was banned from the institutions were I could practice my occupation I was advised to go to France and intern there. My internship there was cut short with an eye infection that left me with a glass eye. In 1857 I was one of the co-founders of New York Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children.

During the American Civil War I trained many women to be nurses and sent them to the Union. After the war I established a Women's Medical College at the Infirmary to train women, physicians, and doctors. In January of 1859 I was the first woman to have my name entered on the General Medical Council's medical register. In England together with Florence Nightingale, I opened the Women's Medical College. I taught at the London School of Medicine for Women. Although I retired a year later I still worked hard in the Women's Rights Movement by writing lectures on the importance of education and publishing books about disease and hygiene.

In 1907 I was injured in a fall that I never recovered from and died in 1910. Who Am I?

12 comments:

Pat said...

Good question of the day, Bill. I've never been a whistle-blower, and whether I would be if I discovered shenanigans in a company I worked for would depend on so many factors that I can't say whether I'd take the risk of blowing the whistle or not. I like to think I would, but sure couldn't guarantee it.

I did one time leave a medical job, along with the biologist who worked there. We had problems with the way the doctor was billing one patient, and when we spoke up, his reaction was 'if you don't like it, you're free to leave'. So we did. But there was nothing legally actionable to blow the whistle on. As I recall, we did tell the patient she was getting screwed. It was so long ago, like 50 years, that I can't remember the details any more.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the nice comment re the question.

Knowing you I think you would do the right thing, just as you did fifty years ago!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Your review echoes the one I saw on Google. Himself has just put the movie on our Netflex queue.

Echoing Pat, good question of the day. Let me say, first, I'm so proud of the way you handled the situation you were in, although not at all surprised. Nor am I surprised at how things played out (sigh). However, living well is the best revenge and you built a successful business and stellar reputation for yourself.

If I could have found a shred of evidence or anyone to help me, I'd have blown the whistle on the facilities division at State of Alaska in a skinny minute. I shall believe, until the day I die, there was money passing under the table on a regular basis. I was responsible for writing RFPs and evaluating responses and on the committee to "let" contracts for space planning, building remodels and new structures. First criteria was to meet specs, second was to come in with lowest bid that met specs and deadlines. I cannot tell you how many times I talked myself blue, pointing out specs that weren't being met (I think I mentioned the time the proposal would have worked, so long as semis could park their cabs in the lobby of the nearby Fish & Game building), costs that were out of line, expenses that weren't valid. Regardless, contracts regularly went to certain contractors who didn't meet specs or costs. There were flooding problems and major repairs and reconstructs that had to be made within literally months of a building being completed. I firmly believe there were "rewards" to the buyers and to the division director and deputy director. I was warned by them, time and again, to not bring up the issues I felt disqualified said contractors. My reward for all this -- even though I did't blow the whistle -- was an anonymous phone call accusing me of sleeping with the consultant who got the contract for space planning at two buildings and, a few months later, reviewing the space planning budget and realizing my position wasn't included.

Fortuantely, since working for the state was the only game in town, other than Coast Guard and commercial fishing, I did have folks in semi-high places who respected me and my work. One of them was Acting Director of EEO and created a position for me in that division, which was interesting, challenging and taught me a lot. (She even insisted I be allowed to bring my drafting board to use as a desk-G)

I did talk to a few folks in director positions and was told that I'd never be able to gather the facts I needed and I'd already made enough enemies with the questions I raised about how and why contracts went to people who didn't meet RFP specs and that Juneau was an isolated town of 25K people.

My one consolation is I can look at myself in the mirror in the morning and feel good. I wonder if the guys involved the purchasing department can say the same.

Lady DR said...

Bill, I keep meaning to say a big "thank you" for the "Who Am I" posts. There are so many people, both men and women, but especially women, who made huge contributions to society as we know it today. Yet, the majority of them are never included in the history classes in grade, middle and high schools. Maybe that's why kids today take so much for granted and believe instant gratification is the way of the world.
THANK YOU

William J. said...

Hi DR

The movie was then two hours too so Pat might like that! Thanks for the nice comment re today's question and also for the nice comment about how I handled my situation.

What an absolute horrible story when you worked at the State. That is the problem a lot of times with being a whistleblower you have to have the goods and if you make any waves you are considered the trouble maker. And if you said you were being warned by them it becomes your word against theirs and you losely lose. And the phone call accusing you of sleeping with someone makes me spitting angry. Thank goodness you had someone in high places that stood up for you and made room for you! However, that doesn't surprise me. Looking in the mirror and being proud is the exact reason I acted like I did. We were twins seperated at birth.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

No need to say thank you I have been learning so much about the women in history researching them. Why they didn'd teach us about the women that paved the way for other women is beyond me. How many people know that there was a woman that ran for president? I didn't. And I had never heard of today's Who Am I or tomorrow's

Bill

Pat said...

I do intend to see the movie at some point, Bill. Glad to hear it's only 2 hours, which puts it in the running for one of my very rare theater runs. [g]

NPR did a whole piece on Whitaker a while back, and they replayed it today. I heard most of it, and it's a fascinating story. At the last minute, he apparently admitted to the FBI that he, their hero, had embezzled millions from ADM, and the way he went about admitting it is a hoot! Was that in the movie? He went to prison for it, didn't hear for how long. I guess he's out now, and has been dx'd as bipolar and is on meds.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Yes it was in the movie. There were a lot of funny things in the movie. He was a pathological liar. it The amount he stole kept changing. It wwas between three and eleven million. He went to jail for a lot longer then the pople he blew the whistle on.

Not in the movie but something I read off of the Internet said that the FBI agents recently said they consider him a hero because they were able to stop price fixing and put some high level jackasses in jail.

Bill

Lady DR said...

People who are playing games with money and contracts are generally pretty darned careful about covering their tracks and equally careful about making sure anyone with questions is shut down/out, one way or another. I think there were a lot of folks with suspicions. I was just lucky that the positions I'd held prior to and during the space planning gig had allowed me to work with upper level management and solve somes problems for several of them. Ironically, I could solve those problems only because I spent so much time having coffee in the "boiler room" with the maintenance me (g). And while the anonymous call was a "bonus" for the facilities guys, I had tremendous support from everyone else who heard about it. There was blood in the eyes of a lot of folks, which helped me through the initial embarrassment and anger.

C'mon, Bill, we've always know we had the same mom and were separated at birth, even if they did spread our birthdays six weeks apart!

William J. said...

Hi DR

People that are playing games with money also seem very adaquate at finding a fall guy or gal. I always looked at you as not only an executive type of woman but also a boiler room type woman! One who can cross lines and still have everyone love her.

Well twin, I hope tonight is a nice night for you! Six weeks is ago for twins as long as were of the same egg.

Bill

Kim said...

This movie was filmed in my hometown! I remember when this "scandal" was breaking. I actually used to work for ADM back in the 80's!!

William J. said...

Hi Kim

Always nice to see you here. The community was beautiful!! What a small world that we have someone posting here that used to work at ADM!!

Bill

PS

They should have put you in the movie as an extra!!