Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

On Labor Day I choose not to labor on the blog but to labor only as a caregiver for Mom today. The only blog post today will be a brief history of Labor Day. Sister arrives Saturday so a break is on the horizon.

Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September. The holiday originated in Canada out of labor disputes ("Nine-Hour Movement") first in Hamilton, then in Toronto, Canada in the 1870s, which resulted in a Trade Union Act which legalized and protected union activity in 1872 in Canada. The parades held in support of the Nine-Hour Movement and the printers' strike led to an annual celebration in Canada. In 1882, American labor leader Peter J. McGuire witnessed one of these labor festivals in Toronto. Inspired from Canadian events in Toronto, he returned to New York and organized the first American "labor day" on September 5 of the same year. The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City. In the aftermath of the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the US military and US Marshals during the 1894 Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland put reconciliation with Labor as a top political priority. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike.

Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer. The holiday is often regarded as a day of rest and parades. Forms of celebration include picnics, barbecues, fireworks displays, water sports, and public art events. Families with school-age children take it as the last chance to travel before the end of summer recess. Similarly, some teenagers and young adults view it as the last weekend for parties before returning to school. However, start dates for schools vary widely, beginning as early as July 24 in urban districts such as Atlanta, Miami, and Los Angeles. In addition, Labor Day marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons. The NCAA usually plays their first games the week before Labor Day, with the NFL traditionally playing their first game the Thursday following Labor Day.

Today I am celebrating with Mom. A few games of Scrabble to annoy the hell out of me when I get beat. Then I am taking Mom to Rose's tonight for dinner. Their specialty is Reuben's but they have a mean turkey burger and hamburger too! How are you celebrating today?

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answers: They all rock, all involve X's and O's, they all started as boxers, all have buds, and all involve prehistoric studies.

TODAY IS WHAT DO THESE THREE THINGS HAVE IN COMMON:

A tennis tournament, a court trial, a beauty pageant.

A banana, a handsome man, and a beautiful woman.

Jupiter the planet, Alaska the state, and The Blue Whale.

Delano, S, and Fitzgerald. I admit it is a trick question.

A camera, a gun, a dishwasher, and I am adding a drunk.

8 comments:

cd0103 said...

I am working on a charity newsletter than HAVE to get out this week. ugh.
Time for Board nominations and Las vegas party registration.
I just hate doing this.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

I know how charity work goes, very few people help with it and you are out there by yourself.

Good for you though, for doing the work!

Bill

Pat said...

Very informative, Bill, thanks.

How am I celebrating? Not at all. Spent morning reading "Losing Mum & Pup" for the book group. One thing I like about the group is that I read things I would never, ever, even pick up normally, like this book about the deaths in one year of William F. Buckley and his wife Patricia, written by their only son, Christopher. Would I ever normally read anything about WF Buckley? Nope. But I'm actually liking this book, since he has a great sense of humor about it all, and I sympathize with Christopher as another only child dealing with towards-the-end-of-life issues.

Now I'm doing laundry while writing this, checking email, and struggling with your trivia. Some holiday, huh?

William J. said...

Hi

Well I am reading Lost Lake by Phillip Margolin which is his best work so far and I just finished my laundry. I am heading to mom's in an hour after the caregiver leaves.

So we are having the same day!

Interesting about Buckly, I may look into that book.

Bill

dona said...

Very interesting Bill. This is one reason I like reading your blog, you always come up with some interesting reads. Great news also on the sister break! I think the Reuben Sandwich sounds terrific...its been years since I had one...but will settle for the turkey burger or burgers as they are my favs too! Who am I kiddin? I just can eat about anything.

How we are celebrating? Well dad had a golf scramble so he is gone for the day. The Shankster is whippin up something up for the grill that has asparagus with it. I spent a few hours giving Elvis a much needed haircut, doing laundry and pouring gas into the lawn mower..still deciding if I really want to mow. I also uploaded some pics/movies from my camera.
Exciting huh?

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Acctually your day does sound pretty amazing!

Giving haircuts, a break from your dad, a good looking dude grilling for you.

I can eat about anything too!

Seems like a lot of laundry is being done today!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the info, Bill. As others said, we often learn neat stuff here. Am delighted to hear you have a break coming. For how long? Is Mom going to Utah again?

Sounds like everyone is having an exciting day (wry s). Connie, sorry to hear about the push on the charity work. Been there, done that, burned out, now choose my involvements carefully.

Did the pool workout, spent most of the day sorting through paperwork, Sunday coupons, filing rebates, getting through a couple backed up magazines, basically finding the top of my drafting board and work table. Fun stuff, huh? Supper's going to be lasagna from the freezer and I want to spend some time with the guitar, as jam session is tomorrow and the last I'll be able to attend for ten weeks.

William J. said...

Hi DR

No on the Utah and six days.

Sounds like you are having a relaxing day doing some of my favorite things like cutting coupons.

Bill