Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mediation!

I've been late with my posting today because of a couple of business meetings and a luncheon appointment. The luncheon appointment was to mediate some estate issues between a son and his mother. The son is bi-polar. The mother controlling and a perfectionist. They chose me to discuss some issues with because they both trust me and know I won't pull any punches. I did, however, find the meeting kind of stressful. It really was like walking on egg shells. You really don't want to make either one angry even if they are wrong and you really don't want to come across looking like you are playing favorites even if one side is generally right most of the time. Then you have health and life ending issues. Not to mention tax issues, (for example, should I sell a piece of property that I own now in the middle of nowhere, should I give it to charity, or should I let my kids inherit it?)

Then sometimes you just have to throw all logic as well as tax rules out the wndow and, forget what is right or wrong, and just ask them, "What does your heart tell you to do?"

There are also those moments where you know what they should do legally but you are hampered by a professional code of ethics (as well as state law) that prevents you from giving legal advise and you have to tell them to see an attorney. I always give them a list of questions for them to ask their attorney to help their meeting with an attorney, should they actually take my advise and schedule an appointment with one.

I think I did pretty well. Neither one seemed to upset with me. The mom asked if she could take me to lunch just the two of us. The son asked the same thing. So obviously I didn't tick either one of to much.

Have you ever been a mediator? Between friends? Between family? Between co-workers? In a professional setting?

What do you think makes a good mediator? What personality traits should a mediator have? Because women seem to be better listeners, do they make better mediators?

I hope this was and will be a stress free day for you.

TODAY'S TRIVIA:

Yesterday's answers: Former Miss Americas, All had baskets, perfect square numbers, all have springs, and all have torches.

What do these three things have in common:

Martin & Charlie, Kirk & Michael, & Donald & Kiefer. Other than being men's names.

Waltzing Matilda, The Soldier's Song, and Oh Canada. In addition to being songs.
An opened soda, a punctured tire, and an off-key voice.

Puerto Rico, Bermuda,, and Melbourne, Florida.

Jesus, Dismas, & Gestas.

4 comments:

Pat said...

It sounds like you did a good job of mediating, though if each wants to take you to lunch separately, they may want the contest to continue and be sure you've listened to each side. So beware! [g]

I've never been a mediator. Once in a while in a totally nonprofessional way if two friends were arguing, but nothing I can even remember specifically. I would think that patience and fairness would be the best mediator qualities, with knowledge of the subject being mediated close behind. Women better at it than men? I have no idea.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am sure there will be some discussion if we meet individually, especially since before the mom arrived the son said his mom wasn't speaking to him but would during lunch because I was there.

I think we all serve as mediators at some point during out lives.

Bill

dona said...

Hey Bill, I agree with Pat, sounds like you did a good job. Seems like a very stressful thing to have to do, in that situation. Good job.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Thanks for the nice comment. And I think you would be a great mediator!

Bill