Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"The Time Of My Life"

Today we honor a GHOST who had the time of his life DIRTY DANCING at THE ROAD HOUSE.

Patrick Swayze was born on August 18, 1952 in Houston, Texas, the eldest child of Patsy Yvonne Helen (née Karnes; b. 1927), a choreographer, dance instructor, and dancer, and Jessie Wayne Swayze (1925–1982), an engineering draftsman. He had two younger brothers, actor Don (born 1958) and Sean Kyle (born 1962), and two sisters, Vicky Lynn (1949–1994) and Bambi, who were adopted into the family.

During school he pursued multiple artistic and athletic skills, such as ice skating, classical ballet, and acting in school plays. He studied gymnastics in college. In 1972, he moved to New York City to complete his formal dance training at the Harkness Ballet and Joffrey ballet schools

Swayze's first professional appearance was as a dancer for Disney On Parade. He made his film début in Skatetown, U.S.A. He appeared as Pvt. Sturgis in the M*A*S*H episode "Blood Brothers" and had a brief stint in 1982 on a short lived TV series The Renegades playing a gang leader named Bandit. Swayze became known to the film industry after appearing in The Outsiders as the older brother of C. Thomas Howell and Rob Lowe. His first major success was in the 1985 television miniseries North and South.

Swayze's breakthrough role came with his performance as dance instructor Johnny Castle in the 1987 film Dirty Dancing, alongside co-star, Jennifer Grey. Dirty Dancing was a low-budget project that was intended to be shown in theaters for one weekend only and then go straight to video. Instead it became a hit that to date has earned over three hundred million dollars. It was the first film to sell one million copies on video. Swayze received a Golden Globe Award nomination for the role and sang one of the songs on the soundtrack, "She's Like the Wind," which he had originally co-written with Stacy Widelitz for the film Grandview, U.S.A. The song became a top ten hit.

He was a licensed pilot. One June 1, 2000 he made news landing on a dirt road in a housing complex in Prescott, Arizona after the plane developed pressurization problems.

Swayze is survived by his wife, Lisa Niemi, who he was married to from June 12, 1975 until his death. They had no children. His sister, Vickie, committed suicide. His dad also died at the age of 57.

"Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt like this before
Yes I swear it's the truth
and I owe it all to you
'Cause I've had the time of my life
and I owe it all to you."

OK, everyone in honor of the star we have just lost, fess up and confess right here on the blog if you have ever dirty danced? Would your moves make Swayze Proud? I will confess that as someone that looks like an out of control chicken when he dances that I have never had the guts to try dirty dancing. Have you?

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answers: Farmers, glass,. Blue roadster, Baha’i, and Warren G. Harding.

Today is a Who Am I?

Although they really, really liked my gal Sal there was a time when a lot of the big bosses didn't much like me. I was born in 1941 and died of brain cancer on a day when America celebrated a great tragedy. I was the 13th recipient of the Pacem in Terris Peace and Freedom Award. The honor was named after a 1963 encyclical letter, Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth), by Pope John XXIII, that calls upon all people of good will to secure peace among all nations. A New York Times reporter referred to me as a Woman Of Inheritance. In 1988 I took nursing classes at Alamance Community College in North Carolina, where my papers and memorabilia are deposited. I became famous when I rebelled at making $2.65 an hour folding towels and was fired for trying to improve working conditions. Who Am I?

12 comments:

redwhistle said...

Oh Yes, I have done dirty dancing!!! When I came out of my mother's womb, I think I started dancing then already. I danced professionally as a folk dancer at Disneylan, County Fairs and colleges and have danced all the way through. Once I was on T.V. I love to dance.

William J. said...

Hi Red

Love your post because I just learned more about you!

Wowser, a professional dancer, what other hidden talents are you keeping from us?

Bill

Pat said...

I don't know if I've ever done dirty dancing or not. I never quite figured out what was dirty about what they did in the movie. I can say I've never done the fancy ballroom stuff with the lifts and all, so I guess the answer to your question is no.

I was sorry to hear of Patrick Swayze's death. He sure fought it right to the end, with a new TV series while he was being treated. There was a lovely tribute to the kind of person he was in the LA Times today.

But on to other showbizzy stuff. I watched AGT finals last night, and was appalled at the mix between vocals and orchestra. They totally overpowered the vocals on everyone except Padilla. Very sloppy sound mixing! There are so many and diverse talents competing that I don't really have a favorite, but will be interested to see who wins.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Swayze kept living right up until the time that he died. He fought problems all his life even before he had cancer he fought alcoholism.

I am doing the AGT tomorrow. Will make my picks then and tell of the special guest singer they are having and which contestant my mom and sister think I look like.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Not sure if I've dirty danced. Suspect it's all in your point of view? Altho I've never danced professionally (I don't think you can count tap dance shows at the max security prison here?) I'm with Redwhistle (and I think CD) in that I'd rather dance than eat, sleep, work, whatever. Red, I think it's so neat you dance at Disney!

I know I'm a day late, but I was so delighted to see all the "good news" stories from yesterday. It was interesting, since I'd just commented in this morning's pages that we seem to concentrate on negatives and troubles and "issues" and ignore the good that happens in the world. The story of the cab drive was such a positive. And I'd seen the video on the elephant and dog and it was a delight. There ARE positive out there and in our everyday lives but, as I've said before, it seems the negatives tend to often overwhelm them. Why?

redwhistle said...

My childhood was very fun. I was part of that folk dance group I mentioned and have danced, as I said professionally. However, what has brought me the most fun was and is just dancing all throughout my life. I also belonged to several groups where I sang - but certainly not professionally. When I was 5 years old, I took music lessons and my teacher put me on the stage. Apparently I was good enough to go professional but he pushed and pushed me to the point I no longer enjoyed playing and have never ever touched an instrument since then. The first time I was on stage at 5 years old, everyone said AHHHHH. I've actually never forgotten that (have the pictures) and it is a shame what teachers, with good intentions, do to students. I love theatre and art and I grew up being nurtured in those two areas by my mother who worked in the costume design department at Disneyland for many years until she retired. Her two rides she was designated were Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean. In addition, she made costumes for the Electric Parade, all the employees who worked there and other items. All my life we've gotten into Disneyland free. When my daughter was little, Disneyland never sold their leftover fabric instead my mom made me and my daughter clothes. I also sewed using the fabric from Disneyland.

And, I do believe I came out of my mother's womb, dancing. Trust me, if you've done "dirty dancing" you'd know it and you'd certainly never forget it.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You know that since you and Red admitted to your love of dancing if we ever have a Dahn Report offline get together you two are going to be the talent show!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Red

Your music teacher should be shot.

Believe it or not I also love theatre and took three years of drama in high school. I was in MacBeth as Bangoot (sp) and was the understudy for MacBeth, which I played when the lead got sick. Got a standing ovation too.

Wow what a background with your mom working at Disney. I absolutely love Small World (now I will be singing that damn song all day) and Pirates of The Caribbean.

Gosh Red, thank you for posting this, I really do love to learn more about the people here.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Red, your instructor(s) should be shot. I've said time and again, teachers, mentors, "helpful" adults so often do more damage than imaginable. There are stories of famous successes, who were told as children they were "slow" or "stupid" or "couldn't learn." Closer to home are students told they have no musical ability, because they couldn't play an instrument handed to them arbitrarily. I have clients who tell great stories, but were told they couldn't write, because they have a bent for fiction and didn't meet expectations for book reviews or because the teacher wanted createive writing and their forte was technical explanations and factual reporting. To take away a child's joy in something, because it doesn't meet an adult expectation, is child abuse, as far as I'm concerned.

What a fascinating childhood and what a creative person your mother must have been/is. Free forever at Disney has to be every kids dream! Yes, even instructors with the best of intentions can create "issues." I'm sorry you lost the joy of playing an instrument.

Uh, Bill, I'll let Red do the talent show. Me, I'll teach y'all some line dances (group participation!)

Red, does snapping your jeans together to dance to Louie, Louie count as dirty dancing?

William J. said...

Hi DR

OK, you can teach the line dancing but only after a performance show.

Bill

redwhistle said...

Lady DR - in my opinion, dirty dancing is as close to having "sex" on a dance floor with your clothes on.....I will leave it at that. But thanks for your kind remarks. Yes, who knows where I could have gone with my musical talents but the teacher crushed me before I got out of the box. All the best - and I bet you do "dirty dancing" all the time. I can just see you...and, oh, by the way, I'd go line dancing with you!

If Bill doesn't already know it, I bet you or you/me could teach him the Macaraena (spelling???). And, I bet you wiggle your hips to that one.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I learned the Macaraena from Al Gore.

Bill