Monday, September 14, 2009

Contest Ideas.

Thanks to Red Whistle and in honor of the performance final of America's Got Talent her is a link to Susan Boyle's first single, Wild Horses:

http://www.phoenixrealestateguy.com/susan-boyles-first-single-wild-horses/

I've been thinking about doing another contest on the blog but I'm not sure I really want to do a trivia contest. The problem that I have with the trivia contests is everyone uses Google so everyone gets all the answers right and the contest ends up being more of a random drawing contest then it does a test of your knowledge of insignificant events. I am asking for you help in giving me some ideas for a contest. Here are some of ideas:

1. Stick with a Trivia contest.

2. Do what do these three to five things have in commons.

3. A recipe contest.

4. A writing contest where everyone takes over the blog for one day.

5. An IQ Test.

6. One of your ideas. Come on now give me some ideas!!

Also tell me what you think of the idea of opening up the contest to everyone whether they have posted on the blog or not.

May you come in first place today in whatever you are doing and be first in everyone's heart that is important to you!

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answers: Shorthand, teeth , Bullwinkle, Shannon Lucid, & Argentina

TODAY LET'S PLAY WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE.

DISCLAIMER: THE MONEY MENTIONED IS IMAGINARY MONEY ONLY MEANT TO DEFINE THE DIFFICULTITY OF THE QUESTION AND NOT MEANT TO IMPLY IT AS A PRIZE FOR GETTING THE RIGHT ANSWER.

$64,000

In the 1780s, what group of Massachusetts residents revolted during Shay’s Rebellion?

a. farmers
b. freedmen
c. fishermen
d. militia

$125,00

Which of those substances displays physical properties of both solids and liquids?

a. Teflon
b. concrete
c. glass
d. porcelain

$250,00

In the original series of Nancy Drew books, what kind of car does Nancy usually drive?

a. Pink Cadillac
b. Blue roadster
c. White Model T
d. Silver coupe

$500,000

Which of the following religions follows the teachings of a 19th century Persian nobleman?

a. Shinto
b. Sikhism
c. Christian Science
d. Baha’i

$1,000,000

Whose U.S presidential campaign used the slogan “Return to normalcy”?

a. Ulysses S. Grant
b. William H. Taft
c. Warren G. Harding
d. Harry S. Truman

12 comments:

cd0103 said...

I like the "what do these have in common" contests.
I am open to anything except writing.
I am not a very good writer

William J. said...

Hi Connie

Thanks for the input but I will tell you that usually the ones that say they aren't good writers turn out to be the best writers because they try harder.

Bill

Pat said...

Of the choices you gave, I think I'd vote for the "in common" one, too. Even though I'm not good at those. I enjoy the trivia ones because I learn stuff. Mostly from Googling, it's true. If I had anything to write about, I'd have a blog, so probably not that one. Recipes might be fun, and it's always good to get another new one.

Thanks for posting the Susan Boyle link. She's certainly versatile!

Lady DR said...

I like the three in common. Like Pat, I often resort to Google on the trivia, but I learn a lot, so let's just not use it as a contest. Recipes could be fun... how you gonna pick a winner? Fewest ingredients, easiest, least work? (g)As to writing, how about a contest to see who can write the worst ever opening line to a novel? Or the longest sentence? Post those on the blog (one person a day?) so everyone can enjoy them?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Susan is versitale. Red sent me the link.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I would give mom the recipes without names and have her pick her favorite or I would post the recipes on the blog and let you all vote on them.

I love the idea of the worse opening line!!! And the longest sentence!

Bill

dona said...

I like the common things also, I actually agree with all here on everything that was said. I am not a good writer so not really in tune for that one, but the recipe one sounds great as does, DR's suggestions on worst opening line and longest sentence.

And I really think I like Susan Boyle.

Actually, Bill you don't have to have a contest at all...I think I can speak for all and say we just love to come here for the company. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

What a really sweet things to say, you just made my day!!!

Bill

Mary said...

I agree with what Dona said! I would come read whether there was a contest or not. However, I am intrigued with the idea of guest posts. The people who write here seem so interesting, I'd love to get to know them better.

redwhistle said...

I agree with the rest of the group - just plain old-fashioned, good conversation suits me. I have to think about so many others things throughout the day that by the time I get to your blog, my brain is somewhat fried.

There's a new movie coming out with Richard Gere about the man in Japan who had that Akita dog that waited every day for him at the train station for years and when the man died, the dog went homeless and still waited for him to come for the next 10 years until the dog died. There's a statue at the train station in Japan and now there will be a heart-wrenching movie!

Speaking about heart-wrenching - Did you see the news story the other evening about the lady who called for a cab. The cab driver missed the turn and got lost and wound up a half-hour late. The lady was grouchy the entire way. Invariably, every time she called for a cab, it was his turn up to get her and each time she'd be grouchy and grouchier. One day he finally realized where he had been taking her - to a kidney dialysis center. He checked at the library and started reading about it and now was able to talk with her. Eventually, they wound up becoming friends. She confided she needed a kidney transplant. Unbeknownst to her he went and got tested to see if he was a match. The doctors said he couldn't have been a better match had he been a sibling and told her he wanted to donate a kidney to her. He was written up on the local news where his daughter whom he hadn't seen in 30 years saw it and called him. His ex-wife had taken her as a young child and she had never seen her father.

Then there's Bella the Elephant. She was rescued and sent off to an elephant reserve. All the elephants wound up finding a mate except for Bella. The caretakers had a dog so Bella and the dog became best of friends. The dog then had an accident, wrecked its back and had to have surgery winding up being house-bound. Bella would come to the gate every day to see if she could see the dog. Finally, the caretakers let the dog see Bella and the elephant put her big foot on the dog's stomach and massaged her....cute! Why am I telling you this all - my brain is fried and I must be tired.

It's nice to have some good stories in the news instead of all bad and sad.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Maybe we will do a contest and guest bloggers! We just have to twist Pat and Connie's write a blog entry one day!

And thank you for your comment. Your, Red's, and Dona's comments mean a ton to me. I struggle with what to write about on my blog, by design a blog means writing about yourself and I really don't like to do that. So thank you all.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Red

I love the stories and I am not sure which one is my favorite. Probably the dog one with the kidney transplant a close second.

Bill