Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm Sorry!

The USA Today asked in an article a couple of days ago, where has all the civility gone? You can read that article here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2009-09-14-civility-cover_N.htm . Today I am not only asking where all the civility has gone but I am also asking where did the ability to offer a sincere apology go?

Sincere apologies cannot only make a person feel better it could possibly change history. Would there have been a Watergate scandal had Nixon simply said "I made a mistake, I'm truly sorry. I will try to do better in the future." Could the impeachment of Bill Clinton been stopped with a "I made a mistake. In some areas of my life I am weak and I am working to improve those areas. I am sorry that I let you down but I will work hard to be a better man." During the last few weeks Roger Federer and Serena Williams either cussed out or threatened judges. Then they issued insincere apologies scripted by their public relations staff. Kayne West stole the moment from Taylor Swift and then waited until after Swift's appearance on The View before deciding he needed to apologize. Was Kayne's apology sincere or was it given just to smooth the waters over and make him look better to all the people criticizing the jackass? Joe Wilson violates over one hundred years of decorum during a joint session of congress. Then he apologizes to the president but decides it isn't necessary to apologize to the institute that he embarrassed. As other evidence that rudeness is now the norm we can add bad drivers, clueless clerks, thoughtless friends and relatives.

I've come to the conclusion that more kindness and humbleness is needed in the world. So I am asking you to either say your sorry to someone or do an act of kindness within twenty-four hours after you read this post. Then report back here and post either who you said you were sorry to or what act of kindness that you did. I've also adopted a new game plan. Now when I meet someone new the first thing I say to them is, "I'm Sorry." Sometimes it doesn't hurt to pay for things in advance.

For my act of kindness this morning I got up at 5:30 AM and drove to Mom's. Then I watered her lawn and set out her breakfast. While there I said to her "I'm truly sorry for all the times that I've disappointed you." It sparked a wonderful conversation about her and dad and how they always respected each other and admitted when they were wrong. It is one of the reasons that their marriage lasted over sixty years. As part of the conversation this morning Mom did tell me she was proud of the man that I've become and she also apologized to me for putting me in the position of caregiver.

In closing, I would just like to say to all of you that I am sorry if I have ever written anything that has offended or upset you. I will try to do better in the future.

TODAY'S TRIVIA

Yesterday's answer: The first woman to run for president in the United States. She ran for office at a time when she legally couldn't vote. Victoria Claflin Woodhull

Today is a Who Am I?"

I was born in 1871 and the date of my death is confusing being sometime between 1928 and 1960. I was born in the Canadian Village of Lindsay, Ontario. I am famous for performing one of the last recorded type of an event. My gender made me standout in my occupation. My parents were both religious and affluent, providing me with the best available education. At the age of 16, I became enamored with a young man who has been variously described as a rake, drunkard, and/or gambler. We eloped, but I soon discovered that my new husband was abusive and I left him to return to her mother. I reconciled and my husband several times. During our time together we had two children, a boy and a girl, which I sent to my mother. In 1893 while at The Chicago World's Fair I developed a fascination with the cowboy lifestyle while watching Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. After the fair I left my husband and worked as a cook and singer. Some people say I had a fondness for cigars, liquor, and morphine. In 1898 I moved to Arizona were some people were confused by my occupation, some thinking I worked as a cook in a boardinghouse. while others thought I operated a brothel. When the nearby mine closed I joined forces with a man and we acquired money from a transportation company. We got the money on May 30, 1899. Not wanting to be recognized I dressed in men's clothing and cut my hair short. I was a handsome dude in my outfit holding a .38 revolver. The time that followed the obtaining of that money was an arresting experience. Because of my gender and the novelty of a female in my occupation a media frenzy started quickly. The local crew put me up in a very small home. I left my house, which was made of lath and plaster, without the landlord's knowledge on on October 12, 1898. Two weeks later my landlord convinced me to return home. The trial period that followed angered a judge because twelve people didn't think I did anything wrong and he did. As soon as I was free I was marshaled in to a new trial and determined to be anything but innocent. I was were sent to a new home in Yuma, Arizona for five years. I was the only female in that otherwise all male home. In December 1902 good Governor Brodie said "pardon." and I left for Kansas to play the lead in a play about my life that had been written by my sister. My life is not only a staple of Western Fiction but my exploits were featured in the film Yuma City and the play The Lady With A Gun. Who Am I?

10 comments:

Pat said...

Bill, I forgive you. You haven't done anything I know of to be forgiven FOR, but since you're apologizing in advance, I offer forgiveness in advance.

I will also note recent articles saying that when doctors apologize for mistakes, they are much less likely to be sued for malpractice. A good apology is very powerful.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for your forgiveness. I will try hard to live up to it.

A good apology is very powerful, it just amazes me why those in power can't see that.

Bill

Randy Bixler said...

Annie of course! I was in that play in high school.

William J. said...

Randy!!!!

Good to see you here. I bet you did a great job acting in the play too!

Everyone say hi to Randy, is a friend from Sherwood, Oregon.

Bill

Pat said...

Hi, Randy.

Lady DR said...

Hi, Randy! Glad to see you here.

Bill, I'm with you on the lack of civility. I'm not sure where it comes from, but it isn't just what we see with Wilson or they guy at the awards show, it's too often a fact of everyday life. Maybe it's stress or the economy or whatever, but doesn't anyone stop to think that dealing kindly with others will make life a bit easier? Aren't we back to random acts of kindness and paying forward positively? And, as my parents pointed out to me at a very young age, particulalry where siblings were involved, an insincere apology is no apology at all.

As far as any actions toward me, you have nothing to apologize for, You've been supportive, informative, understanding and patient, many times when I least deserved it.

My apologies go to my mom and my sibs, for me not understanding that they had no way to understand some of the frustrations I was going through at various times. I've already apologized to them, at various times, but I think the best (most sincere) form of apology is to discontinue the feelings I've harbored on occasion.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Randy is a good guy. Doctor of Pharmacy!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I actually think the lack of civility starts at the top and works it way down, I think the recent wave of rudeness came about because of the last sixteen years. I read stats somewhere that Bill Clinton was the most hated president by the opposing party in history until George Bush was given that title. Neither could do anything to please the opposite party.

A sincere apology can cure a lot of ills, a insincere apology just continues the event in a bad light.

You have always deserved my respect, support, and friendship it I who wonder why I was so luck as to deserve your.

I love your apology to your mom and sibs!

Bill

Kaye R said...

I will also chime in on the apology thing. This young man I just recently had to dismiss from employment had several opportunities to just admit his weakness and promise to improve; however, he chose to be come defensive and belligerent. After two days he calls me and admits he was belligerent and acted stupidly and was sometimes cantankerous, but not once did he ever apologize for his behavior. It's amazing how saying "I'm sorry" can feel to both you and the one you apologize to. Why can't more people see that?

And, Bill... I also give you my forgiveness in advance. You're such a dear person with the utmost integrity.. I can't imagine you doing anything deserving an apology, but know that you would if the issue even hinted at the need.

Randy! Welcome!

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

What a treat it is to see you post here and how sad it is that the doofus at work couldn't apologize for his actions at work.

One of life's biggest mysteries is why people don't understand how powerful a sincere apology can be.

Thank you for your forgiveness! I banked it.

Bill