Monday, March 8, 2010

An Arresting Oscar Day.

Yesterday Mom and I went out to breakfast with some friends. When we were leaving the parking lot, the light changed to green and the cars started out into the intersection from double left turn lanes. The cars turning left on to a main highway were easily half way into the intersection when a red car ran the red light and almost hit the first car turn, and then the second car. It was a miracle there wasn't an accident. As the red car went merrily on its way the two cars in the intersection just sat there stunned. We were the first cars behind the cars almost hit. I doubt the driver of the red had a clue about what havoc he almost caused and how many lives almost he changed had the drivers he almost hit not been paying more attention to their driving then he was to his. I was thinking to myself damn I wish a cop had seen that. Then I wished I could have done something on my own to make sure the driver of the red car knew what he had done. There was an article in this morning's Oregonian that gave me some information that if something like that happens I now have the tools to take legal action to make sure the offending party gets a ticket. A citizen's arrest. Here is how you do it:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2010/03/a_citizens_traffic_ticket_in_f.html

Have you ever made a citizen's arrest? Would you ever? I never have and didn't think I ever would until yesterday. Now I may just try it in the future.

On to my Oscar Summary. My predictions were pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I missed only one, the best supporting actor. I kind of knew it was wrong but I so wanted one for the old farts that I picked Christopher Plummer and the heavy favorite, Christoph Waltz, won. That means I was twelve out of thirteen.

If something happens between Jesse James and Sandra Bullock I just want her to know that I am available. She looked absolutely stunning. She also gave a marvelous acceptance speech that was humble (dedicated it to all Moms), touching (mentioning her no longer with us Mom), gracious (mentioning each fellow nominee for the best actress award), humorous (Meryl you are such a darn good kisser) and inclusive (no matter what your race, your sexual orientation, your religious beliefs, or whether or not your are handicapped, rich or poor you deserved to be loved.) What other actress would less than a week ago actually show up to accept the worst actress award and then a few days later give a beautiful speech as a best actress? That kind of Blind Sided me. God love her.

And wasn't it about time that a woman won the best director award? Kathryn Bigelow also looked stunning as she became the first woman to win the best director award in the history of The Oscars. For The Hurt Locker.

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin did a pretty good Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin impression as hosts. I enjoyed them. They took their shots and provided more than a few laughs.

As to fashion, most of the women wore beautiful gowns and made good choices except maybe Barbara Streisand. She looked awful in her get up.

The show could have been a little shorter! It was three and a half hours long. They could have cut out the tribute to horror films and the insane dance number in the middle of the show.

I did, however, enjoy the Oscars as I do every year. Award season is now officially over.

What star would you like to arrest and put in handcuffs? You can guess mine.

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

Never made a citizen's arrest. Don't know that I would attempt it, given the crazies out there, more than willing to pull a knife or knock you on your backside at the least provocation. Don't like feeling that way, but there you have it. I do know I'd like to get the license plate of a lot of folks on the road today, but that doesn't sound like it does much good. Closest I came was calling a trucking company and reporting one of their trucks had passed me and other cars in a no passing zone on a windy mountain road, with no visibility, and giving them the time and place of the incident.

DIdn't watch the Oscars. Himself watched a bit of them, but made no comment.

Pat said...

I'll just echo DR regarding the citizen's arrest. I doubt I'd ever do it, but maybe under extreme circumstances. I don't know if the procedure here would be the same as in OR.

I watched the Oscars, and agree on Steisand's outfit. Meryl Streep's wasn't great, either. I was a little surprised that HURT LOCKER made such a sweep after all the adverse publicity in the last week or so. I haven't seen it myself... will probably catch it on video later, as with all the other nominees. I only saw DISTRICT 9 because the kids had a DVD they hadn't seen and brought it down at Christmas. Saw JULIE & JULIA because my group was doing the book. Otherwise, will wait for the rest. You did a great job of picking winners, I must say. I thought there were few if any surprises this year.

William J. said...

Hi DR

That was the beauty of the article you don't really confront the offender until you get to court. The only thing you do is get his license number, which you can take a picture of with your cell phone, and get a look at him so you can indentify him at the police station. You can get a look at him without him knowing. I'd never confront anyone just for the reasons that you said but I would seriously consider following the author's advise.

I have never even called a number to report anyone.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The reason I did so well with the picks is that there weren't any surprises.

I wasn't all that surprised at The Hurt Locker because they love and small box office successes vs. big ones.

I agree with you about Meryl but she looked better than the did at the last award show so since she improved I ignored her. There was another person that I can remember that was awful, a young one that was with Miley Cyrus. Had purple trains, skirt was short in the front. I thought it was awful.

I did like the acceptance speeches a little more this year. The guy from Precious gave a good one.

Bill

Pat said...

I missed the purple train dress, but I thought the one with circles on each breast was awful. Like breastplates in a Wagnerian opera. I think that was Charlize Theron. What was that designer thinking??

I also thought the acceptances were a bit less painful than usual. Maybe they got tough with them about length.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I forgot the dress with thent circles, it was atrocious! Not only designer but what was Charlene thinking!

I was thinking wouldn't it be nice some year when they are walking the red carpet and someone asks what they are wearing and they answer "K-Mart".

Bill

Pat said...

LOL on KMart. Or Target, which they could dignify by pronouncing it "Tar-zhay".

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Target would be perfect!!

Bill